Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Alan Dacey

Default KDE4 questions, two problems

I am helping somebody brand new to linux so I started him off with
Kubuntu 8.10 (imagine that on this list!). Everything was going fine,
he really likes Amarok 2.0. Then I ran into some problems. I'm waiting
for KDE 4.2 before I upgrade so I'm not too familiar with all the
changes. He wanted to look at all his hard drives/partitions and also
add some programs. I went to Dolphin (& Konq) and tried typed in
system:/media/ and it said the protocol 'system' is not supported. I
was also having a hard time finding anything in Adept. I searched for
vlc and could not find it in the list that was returned. I do not
understand how the tags and such work since when I clicked on what I
thought was the right one, I still did not see the vlc player. (at
least I got to give him a lesson on how to use the command line to
install things so it was not a total loss) So I have two questions that
I hope somebody can help me with, I googled but did not find any real
answers.

1- What replaces system:/media/ in KDE4? In KDE3 it's 'Storage Media'
from the icon next to the Kmenu.
2- How do I clearly get the packages I search for to show up in the list
on the right in Adept? Is there a tutorial on the new tagging system or
something?

Thank you in advance.

Alan

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in life and actually grok it."

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/12/13 Alan Dacey <GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com>:
> I am helping somebody brand new to linux so I started him off with
> Kubuntu 8.10 (imagine that on this list!). Everything was going fine,
> he really likes Amarok 2.0. Then I ran into some problems. I'm waiting
> for KDE 4.2 before I upgrade so I'm not too familiar with all the
> changes. He wanted to look at all his hard drives/partitions and also
> add some programs. I went to Dolphin (& Konq) and tried typed in
> system:/media/ and it said the protocol 'system' is not supported. I
> was also having a hard time finding anything in Adept. I searched for
> vlc and could not find it in the list that was returned. I do not
> understand how the tags and such work since when I clicked on what I
> thought was the right one, I still did not see the vlc player. (at
> least I got to give him a lesson on how to use the command line to
> install things so it was not a total loss) So I have two questions that
> I hope somebody can help me with, I googled but did not find any real
> answers.
>
> 1- What replaces system:/media/ in KDE4? In KDE3 it's 'Storage Media'
> from the icon next to the Kmenu.
> 2- How do I clearly get the packages I search for to show up in the list
> on the right in Adept? Is there a tutorial on the new tagging system or
> something?

I don't like to install gnome stuff in kubuntu but the new Adept is
almost useless so if he wants a GUI i suggest install synaptic if he
can use CLI use aptitude.

/ Jonas

Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Billie Walsh

On 12/12/2008 Alan Dacey wrote:
> 2- How do I clearly get the packages I search for to show up in the
> list
> on the right in Adept? Is there a tutorial on the new tagging system
> or
> something?

Forget about Adept. They've totally trashed it. Practically worthless
now. Use Synaptic. It should be installed by default.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Alan Dacey

Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 12/12/2008 Alan Dacey wrote:
>> 2- How do I clearly get the packages I search for to show up in the
>> list
>> on the right in Adept? Is there a tutorial on the new tagging system
>> or
>> something?
>>

> Forget about Adept. They've totally trashed it. Practically worthless
> now. Use Synaptic. It should be installed by default.

So in other words, Adept=0

I was thinking about Synaptic but I wanted to see if there was a magic trick to
make it work first. It's butt-ugly but it does work very well.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Knapp

If you just type aptitude on the CLI you will get an intresting gui
with a lot of power and that leads naturally to the short cut of using
it as a CLI program.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Steve Lamb

Knapp wrote:
> If you just type aptitude on the CLI you will get an intresting gui
> with a lot of power and that leads naturally to the short cut of using
> it as a CLI program.

While I am a fan of aptitude (long time Debian user, so natch) but I =
fail
to see how adept is that bad? Specifically Alan was looking for vlc. I =
just
opened Adept, typed in "vlc" in the search, clicked on "multimedia" and i=
t was
4th option. Granted this was on 4.2 but the 4.1 version was not any diff=
erent
in this regard.

--=20
Steve C. Lamb | I am not a nice man... see link...
-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------=
----

Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Steve Lamb

Alan Dacey wrote:
> 1- What replaces system:/media/ in KDE4? In KDE3 it's 'Storage Media'
> from the icon next to the Kmenu.

It's not system;, it is file. EG: file:/media/

--
Steve C. Lamb | I am not a nice man... see link...

Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/12/13 Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>:
> Alan Dacey wrote:
>> 1- What replaces system:/media/ in KDE4? In KDE3 it's 'Storage Media'
>> from the icon next to the Kmenu.
>
> It's not system;, it is file. EG: file:/media/

It was system:/media in KDE 3 and it uses the KIO slaves to browse
connected media devices. There is no such thing yet in KDE4 as far as
i know. The file:/media you referring to is not the same thing, that
just browse the /media directory and you cant see all devices there.

/ Jonas

Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Peter Klaassen

Op Saturday 13 December 2008 01:35:39 schreef Alan Dacey:
> I was thinking about Synaptic but I wanted to see if there was a magic
> trick to make it work first. *It's butt-ugly but it does work very well.

I use synaptic now 2 years under Kubuntu without any problems.

--
Peter
Registered Linux user # 458207

Old 12-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Billie Walsh

Steve Lamb wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>
>> If you just type aptitude on the CLI you will get an intresting gui
>> with a lot of power and that leads naturally to the short cut of using
>> it as a CLI program.
>>

> While I am a fan of aptitude (long time Debian user, so natch) but I =
> fail
> to see how adept is that bad? Specifically Alan was looking for vlc. I =
> just
> opened Adept, typed in "vlc" in the search, clicked on "multimedia" and i=
> t was
> 4th option. Granted this was on 4.2 but the 4.1 version was not any diff=
> erent
> in this regard.

Before I started using Kubuntu I used OpenSuSE. They started using
"Smart" as a sort of default package manager. Compared to Yast it should
have been named "Stupid". It didn't have nearly the functionality. Adept
is just about the same position compared to itself up through KDE
3.5.10. They've gone for this cutesy interface instead of the more
functional, intuitive, older style. The "New and Improved" Adept reminds
me of "Smart".

I'm not a huge fan of Synaptic but find it much better than the "New and
Improved" Adept.

My ol' gran'pappy used to say, "If'n it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Adept didn't need fixin'.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.