Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Paul Lemmons

Default Synchronizing music

I got a new MP3 player (Sansa Fuse 4GB + 4GB micro SD). After fiddling
with it a bit and setting the USB to be MSC mode instead of MTP it
connects to Ibex flawlessly. Yea! I then connected to it using Amarok
and copied a bunch of music to it: Roughly 7GB. I noticed that there
were too many categories represented by the ID3-TAGS and some album art
was missing. So I spent some time updating ID tags and Album art. Now, I
want to update what is on the MP3 player and I don't see how. Unless I
am missing something, it appears that Amarok is nothing more than a
glorified file manager. There does not seem to be a way to "sync" my music.

So, the question is simple... How do I "sync" updates such as ID3 Tags
and Album art without formatting the device and going completely through
the selection process again?

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look
around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe

Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Paul Lemmons

I got a new MP3 player (Sansa Fuse 4GB + 4GB micro SD). After fiddling
with it a bit and setting the USB to be MSC mode instead of MTP it
connects to Ibex flawlessly. Yea! I then connected to it using Amarok
and copied a bunch of music to it: Roughly 7GB. I noticed that there
were too many categories represented by the ID3-TAGS and some album art
was missing. So I spent some time updating ID tags and Album art. Now, I
want to update what is on the MP3 player and I don't see how. Unless I
am missing something, it appears that Amarok is nothing more than a
glorified file manager. There does not seem to be a way to "sync" my
music.

So, the question is simple... How do I "sync" updates such as ID3 Tags
and Album art without formatting the device and going completely through
the selection process again?

*bump*

Interesting. I don't know that I have ever gotten absolutely no response
to a question posed on this group before. Makes me wonder if the post
actually made it. If it did make it I apologize for replying to my own
post. If it did make it to the list, am I the only one that has ever
gone down this road?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
"Geoffrey Bays"

Paul:

Your messages have definitely made it to the Kubuntu list.

Regarding amarok, I just use it very basically, to play collections of
ogg files I have on my system or on my iRiver device.
As I understand it, Amarok does not 'sync' with a player device. You
can copy music to amarok from a device, but you must do it manually.
It may gain a sync feature in a future release. Here is a basic
article that explains its simple usuage and this issue:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/ubuntu_applications/amarok

Amarok power users on this list, please correct me if I am off-base here.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Bays

Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
"Geoffrey Bays"

Paul:

It appears that maybe you can sync your music with Amarok 1.4:

If you have the new Amarok 2.0 on Intrepid, I do not know if that
feature has been replicated.

cheers,

Geoffrey Bays

Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Paul Lemmons

[...]

I appreciate the response!

It appears that there is no way to "sync" mobile devices. This is a sad
thing. So, I have deleted everything from the player and am now copying
my music back to it. This is pretty lame. I hope that the incredibly
talented developers of Amarok 2.0 address this!