FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

I am re-posting, because I may have a bug in my Kmail client. I believe I
have located the problem in my email to Outbox problem, however, it has to do
with an irregularity in my email address and server identity.

My email address is stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net. It has remained that way, and
has continued as my email address, even after at&t became my server. I
believe this is the area of confusion in my kmail program. I just noticed a
peculiarity in the warning I get when mail is sent to the Outbox. Here is
the box that comes on the screen:

Sending failed:
Connection to host smtp.att.yahoo.com is broken.
The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem
(e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.
The following transport protocol was used:
Sbcglobal.net

Notice that the transport protocol is indicated as Sbcglobal.net. I believer
there are two errors in the protocol. If sbcglobal.net is the appropriate
protocol, wouldn't it be small [s]? If it should be att.yahoo.com, would
that not be the confusion. Is perhaps Kmail taking this particular address
from my email address as opposed to the sender Host at&t?

In kmail configuration, there is no place where I have indicated Sbcglobal.net
as anything but my email address, and then with a small [s] as shown above,
when I typed my email address in this email.

If my contention is correct, how do I fix the problem? I did not make an
entry that can be corrected.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

On Friday 12 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am re-posting, because I may have a bug in my Kmail client. I believe I
> have located the problem in my email to Outbox problem, however, it has to
> do with an irregularity in my email address and server identity.
>

First of all Steven, I think you ought to go easy on assuming (and reporting)
that everything you see is a bug. It kind of rubs the wrong way when I (and
a lot of others) have been using Kmail for over 8 years and have seen very
few problems if any.

First assume it is something you either misunderstand or have done wrong.
Sorry, but that would probably over 95% of your 'situations'.

> My email address is stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net. It has remained that way,
> and has continued as my email address, even after at&t became my server. I
> believe this is the area of confusion in my kmail program. I just noticed
> a peculiarity in the warning I get when mail is sent to the Outbox. Here
> is the box that comes on the screen:
>
> Sending failed:
> Connection to host smtp.att.yahoo.com is broken.
> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
> problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
> folder. The following transport protocol was used:
> Sbcglobal.net
>

In this case, you misunderstand... Sbcglobal.net is the NAME you gave to
this particular 'sending account' and has nothing to do with the information
required to actually talk to that account. You can 'name' an account
anything you want....

> Notice that the transport protocol is indicated as Sbcglobal.net. I
> believer there are two errors in the protocol. If sbcglobal.net is the
> appropriate protocol, wouldn't it be small [s]? If it should be
> att.yahoo.com, would that not be the confusion. Is perhaps Kmail taking
> this particular address from my email address as opposed to the sender Host
> at&t?
>

So either this account is flakey (it sometimes works) or if it doesn't work at
all you have probably supplied the wrong connection information.

> In kmail configuration, there is no place where I have indicated
> Sbcglobal.net as anything but my email address, and then with a small [s]
> as shown above, when I typed my email address in this email.
>

I think you are wrong on this. Check the 'name' on the account.


> If my contention is correct, how do I fix the problem? I did not make an
> entry that can be corrected.
>
> Steven

Provide the right information and learn what you are doing. :-)

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

Steven Vollom wrote:
> My email address is stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net. It has remained that
> way, and has continued as my email address, even after at&t became my
> server. I believe this is the area of confusion in my kmail program.
> I just noticed a peculiarity in the warning I get when mail is sent to
> the Outbox. Here is the box that comes on the screen:
>
> Sending failed:
> Connection to host smtp.att.yahoo.com is broken.
> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
> problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
> folder. The following transport protocol was used:
> Sbcglobal.net
>
> In kmail configuration, there is no place where I have indicated
> Sbcglobal.net as anything but my email address, and then with a small
> [s] as shown above, when I typed my email address in this email.

Sbcglobal.net is the name for your account within Kmail. It is not the
server used. Go to the Kmail configuration and have a look at your
account name. It should be Sbcglobal.net and if you click on the "modify"
button you can see which server would be used.

I think your problem has nothing to do with your configuration. Sometimes
I can see the same error if my router isn't online when I click the send
button. Then it takes more time to connect to the server than the timeout
allows. However I don't know which timeout it is exactly or where to set
the timeout to a higher value. Actually it happens only rather seldom, so
I don't really care and just tell kmail to send the outbox contents
again.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

> First of all Steven, I think you ought to go easy on assuming (and
> reporting) that everything you see is a bug. It kind of rubs the wrong way
> when I (and a lot of others) have been using Kmail for over 8 years and
> have seen very few problems if any.

Since that was the very first time I have even suggested the possibility of a
bug in any Linux package, I would like you to copy and paste evidence of what
you just said to this forum. Additionally, I did not assume nor report a
bug, I said thought there may be a bug. I do not presume that much
knowledge, it just appeared a possibility.

And when I knew that I never included any Sbcglobal.net identity for anything
in any mail program, it looked like the possibility existed that an
instruction which may work without problem in most cases, might work
differently if a persons email address <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> differed
from an account name of<att.yahoo.com>

Your 8 years + is the reason I came to you. I assure you I will never do
anything, on purpose that hurts the reputation of Kubuntu or KDE. Without
them I could not have a computer. I was sincere in my evaluation of a
potential bug; if a reality, I would think it important to acknowledge and
fix.

Perhaps you can give me an example of me thinking I am wise in the use of
Linux or able to be a teacher. I know that has never happened, because I do
not believe that; and I try to be exactly accurate in everything I say. If
you don't like me and are trying to pick a fight, it won't work. Before I
will hurt this forum that has blessed my life so much, I will discontinue
using it.

> First assume it is something you either misunderstand or have done wrong.
> Sorry, but that would probably over 95% of your 'situations'.

In my opinion, more like 99.999% true.

> Sending failed:
> Connection to host smtp.att.yahoo.com is broken.
> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
> problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
> folder. The following transport protocol was used:
> Sbcglobal.net

This is information placed in a box with an OK at the bottom that the computer
generated, not something I wrote from my intelligence.

>Sbcglobal.net is the NAME you gave to
> this particular 'sending account'

That is simply not true. I don't mean any disrespect, but I have never named
my account Sbcglobal.net. I named it Studio25, and always have for about 15
years now.

> > Notice that the transport protocol is indicated as Sbcglobal.net.

It was because I noticed that that I wrote of a possible problem. I never did
name it Sbcglobal.net, so I did not understand where that came from. And
just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I am not still wrong, I
just don't know how, or what I may have mis-entered.

I went over the configuration several times before I wrote the post, because
it is embarrassing to be wrong so much as I am. I also thought if
Sbcglobal.net was the correct name, somehow the fact that the computer
generated message included the name with a capital 'S', might make a
difference. I am aware that Linux is very case sensitive.

> So either this account is flakey (it sometimes works) or if it doesn't work
> at all you have probably supplied the wrong connection information.

Not having your experience, I copied the configuration directly from working
configuration on my Thunderbird account. Then I answered and repeated that
fact more than one half dozen to other kind helpers from the List in their
response to my post.

Strange, but it is common for people to complain about my self-deprecation,
you are among the rarest of people to suggest, for lack of a more appropriate
word, arrogance. Maybe ' know-it-all' is what you are trying to say. I
sincerely have never had feelings of self worth that would justify that.

Since I want you to see exactly what is written, I will send a png to your
private account and will retain a copy for any who read this upon request.

> Provide the right information and learn what you are doing.

I doubt you ever tried harder to do what you just told me. I am on a 20 hour
day trying to do just that. I am not gifted intellectually, so it is
probably more difficult for me than it would be for you, but I would be happy
to provide you screen prints of the configuration of every page of my Kmail
client, if that would satisfy your accusations.

I apologize to the List, however, the only thing that can raise my dander is
false accusation. I don't do it to anyone. For some reason it is difficult
for me to back off when it happens to me. I love this List, and even mostly
respect the author of this criticism. He contributes a lot for the benefit
of others. I cannot think of anything I have said or done on this forum that
could offend anyone. If I have, I sincerely apologize.

Sincerely,
Steven



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

On Friday 12 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Since that was the very first time I have even suggested the possibility of
> a bug in any Linux package, I would like you to copy and paste evidence of
> what you just said to this forum. *Additionally, I did not assume nor
> report a bug, I said thought there may be a bug. *I do not presume that
> much knowledge, it just appeared a possibility.

Ok....... (and no, this isn't the first time you have reported a 'bug')

<quote> Today 03:24:27 PM
I am re-posting, because I may have a bug in my Kmail client. *I believe I
have located the problem in my email to Outbox problem, however, it has to do
with an irregularity in my email address and server identity.

My email address is stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net. *It has remained that way, and
has continued as my email address, even after at&t became my server. *I
believe this is the area of confusion in my kmail program. *I just noticed a
peculiarity in the warning I get when mail is sent to the Outbox. *Here is
the box that comes on the screen:

Sending failed:
Connection to host smtp.att.yahoo.com is broken.
The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem
(e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.
The following transport protocol was used:
Sbcglobal.net

Notice that the transport protocol is indicated as Sbcglobal.net. *I believer
there are two errors in the protocol. *If sbcglobal.net is the appropriate
protocol, wouldn't it be small [s]? *If it should be att.yahoo.com, would
that not be the confusion. *Is perhaps Kmail taking this particular address
from my email address as opposed to the sender Host at&t?

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

> Sbcglobal.net is the name for your account within Kmail.

Nils, the name of my account is Steven Vollom, the Organization is Studio25.
The only other names I have used for an account is my email address, one
time, and Studio25, several times.

>Go to the Kmail configuration and have a look at your
> account name.

I did; it is 'Steven Vollom'. I am also familiar with my server, both pop.
and smtp. att.yahoo.com.

> It should be Sbcglobal.net

This I do not understand. Do I name my account or does the mail client. I
remember typing in the words, which were never Sbcglobal.net. I don't even
remember ever typing sbcglobal.net with a capital 's' because of case
sensitivity. I sent a png of my Account Name to Bruce, do you want me to
send you one to your personal email address. Don't you understand, it is
because I can not find anything to show Sbcglobal.net as a name for my
account or anything else, that I considered the possibility of a bug. It
seems reasonable that the jelousy of a company to get their name out there in
all cases would make unlikely that att.yahoo.com would'nt have me change my
email address from stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net to stevenvollom@att.yahoo.com.
I have seen many individuals with the later email address type. But that is
not the case with me. The only change they had me make was to change
pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com to pop.att.yahoo.com. Same with smtp. That was done
years ago.

Perhaps my post is not clear. But it seems probably a simple word change to
correct the issue if it is one. I truly am only trying to contribute, not
criticize.

>Sometimes I can see the same error if my router isn't online when I click the
send button.

I haven't removed Thunderbird yet from my computer. It contains some
technical and personal emails in its records that I don't want to lose, and I
haven't figured out how to transfer them yet, but I opened Thunderbird and
sent a few hours of emails to see if it had connection problems with the
server. Never once did it send an email to the Outbox. Never once did it
linger in sending at all.

Each time I send using Kmail there is a prolonged delay. It is not something
I cannot live with, because otherwise I prefer the program, but it happens
every time. I was looking for anything peculiar to my configuration might
have cause conflict with the programmers instructions. Because I cannot
change my email address with my server, I thought if it was a programming
error that rarely happened, it still may be an error programmers would want
to remove. I just don't know how they think.

Am I talking in a way that offends, right now? I can't figure out why Bruce
is doing this. If you know what it is, tell me? I am thick skinned. I will
change. Someone complained about my post length and taught me how to trim.
Isn't it noticed how careful I am to change the things that I do wrong?

Steven



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

> Ok....... (and no, this isn't the first time you have reported a 'bug')

That is the second time you have falsely accused me. Print the other time, or
times. And why do you insist on keeping this childish matter on the List. I
have a private email address if you choose to argue.

> I am re-posting, because I may have a bug in my Kmail client. *

There is a big difference in saying I have a bug, and saying I MAY have a bug.
I was careful to include the MAY because I wasn't sure. In any case it
doesn't exclude the possibility nor confirm it. I was leaving that up to the
gurus of the List.

Steven


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

On Friday 12 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Ok....... (and no, this isn't the first time you have reported a 'bug')
>
> That is the second time you have falsely accused me. Print the other time,
> or times. And why do you insist on keeping this childish matter on the
> List. I have a private email address if you choose to argue.
>
> > I am re-posting, because I may have a bug in my Kmail client. *
>
> There is a big difference in saying I have a bug, and saying I MAY have a
> bug. I was careful to include the MAY because I wasn't sure. In any case
> it doesn't exclude the possibility nor confirm it. I was leaving that up
> to the gurus of the List.
>
> Steven

End of story.... I'm not going to enter a pissing contest with you.

Go on your way, fella. I will not respond to anything further from you.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Email goes to Outbox

Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Sbcglobal.net is the name for your account within Kmail.
>
> Nils, the name of my account is Steven Vollom, the Organization is
> Studio25. The only other names I have used for an account is my email
> address, one time, and Studio25, several times.

OK, you may be right because I can't see your settings. OTOH, maybe I
wasn't clear which account name I was referring to.

Please go to "Settings" -> "Configure Kmail ...". There select "Accounts"
and select the tab "Sending". Now I would expect you can see the account
name Kmail uses for sending mail. It has nothing to do with your account
name at your provider. unless you have manually changed this name, it was
derived from your email address when you created the account, i.e. Kmail
uses the domain of your email address with a capital first letter. And
this is the name which I see in the error message when I try to send mail
while the network isn't available.

> I sent a png of my Account
> Name to Bruce, do you want me to send you one to your personal email
> address.

If my explanation above doesn't clarify the account name issue, please
send the picture.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org