Old 12-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Embarq Customer

Default flickering screen

Dear All,
I have a flickering screen when I play back videos on both VLC and Movie player.
I have switched off the desktop effects following a suggestion on this forum. (I can't remember who suggested it, but thanks for the tip.)
I downloaded Gnome last week to see if the problem would occur in a different environment. The screen flickers at about the same rate.
Does anyone have any further ideas?
I use a nvidea ATI 1300 radeon graphics card, I would be willing to pull it out if it will stop the flickering.
Thanks in advance.

Kevin Jones

Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Embarq Customer wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have a flickering screen when I play back videos on both VLC and Movie player.
> I have switched off the desktop effects following a suggestion on this forum. (I can't remember who suggested it, but thanks for the tip.)
> I downloaded Gnome last week to see if the problem would occur in a different environment. The screen flickers at about the same rate.
> Does anyone have any further ideas?
> I use a nvidea ATI 1300 radeon graphics card, I would be willing to pull it out if it will stop the flickering.
> Thanks in advance
I have had the same problem. When I first installed Kubuntu 8.10 on a
brand new machine, I had flickering on everything, but installing the
Nvidia driver cleared that up. But then I started to have problems of
flickering only on video playback.

My first solution was to reboot, then I found that I only needed to log
out and log back in.

Today I discovered that closing Amarok cleared it up. I have no idea why
that works. I got there by happenstance, in that I was watching Miro,
then opened Amarok, and after listening to music for about an hour, went
back to Miro and observed the flickering was back. Since I knew that the
*only* thing I had done in between wathcing with no flickering and
having the flickering come back was listen to music on Amarok, I closed
Amarok, and the flickering went away.

I don't know if this will help you, but this is what I have found so far.

Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve
it through not dying." -- Woody Allen

Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Jim

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> Embarq Customer wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> I have a flickering screen when I play back videos on both VLC and Movie player.
>> I have switched off the desktop effects following a suggestion on this forum. (I can't remember who suggested it, but thanks for the tip.)
>> I downloaded Gnome last week to see if the problem would occur in a different environment. The screen flickers at about the same rate.
>> Does anyone have any further ideas?
>> I use a nvidea ATI 1300 radeon graphics card, I would be willing to pull it out if it will stop the flickering.
>> Thanks in advance
>>
> I have had the same problem. When I first installed Kubuntu 8.10 on a
> brand new machine, I had flickering on everything, but installing the
> Nvidia driver cleared that up. But then I started to have problems of
> flickering only on video playback.
>
> My first solution was to reboot, then I found that I only needed to log
> out and log back in.
>
> Today I discovered that closing Amarok cleared it up. I have no idea why
> that works. I got there by happenstance, in that I was watching Miro,
> then opened Amarok, and after listening to music for about an hour, went
> back to Miro and observed the flickering was back. Since I knew that the
> *only* thing I had done in between wathcing with no flickering and
> having the flickering come back was listen to music on Amarok, I closed
> Amarok, and the flickering went away.
>
> I don't know if this will help you, but this is what I have found so far.
>
> Regards,

What can happen when a screen flickers the resolution is to high for the
monitor to take, set it at 1024x768
and see what happens

Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Jim wrote:
> Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>
>> Embarq Customer wrote:
>>

>>> Dear All,
>>> I have a flickering screen when I play back videos on both VLC and Movie player.
>>> I have switched off the desktop effects following a suggestion on this forum. (I can't remember who suggested it, but thanks for the tip.)
>>> I downloaded Gnome last week to see if the problem would occur in a different environment. The screen flickers at about the same rate.
>>> Does anyone have any further ideas?
>>> I use a nvidea ATI 1300 radeon graphics card, I would be willing to pull it out if it will stop the flickering.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>> I have had the same problem. When I first installed Kubuntu 8.10 on a
>> brand new machine, I had flickering on everything, but installing the
>> Nvidia driver cleared that up. But then I started to have problems of
>> flickering only on video playback.
>>
>> My first solution was to reboot, then I found that I only needed to log
>> out and log back in.
>>
>> Today I discovered that closing Amarok cleared it up. I have no idea why
>> that works. I got there by happenstance, in that I was watching Miro,
>> then opened Amarok, and after listening to music for about an hour, went
>> back to Miro and observed the flickering was back. Since I knew that the
>> *only* thing I had done in between wathcing with no flickering and
>> having the flickering come back was listen to music on Amarok, I closed
>> Amarok, and the flickering went away.
>>
>> I don't know if this will help you, but this is what I have found so far.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> What can happen when a screen flickers the resolution is to high for the
> monitor to take, set it at 1024x768
> and see what happens

Well, in my case I am pretty sure that is not the issue. I have four
boxes sharing this monitor via a KVM switch. The others are running at
1280x1024 without any problem. So the monitor can handle it just fine.

Since in my case the problem is with a new machine, it could be
something about the video driver, or something about the software
configuration.

Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have
to experience it." -- Max Frisch