FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Girard Henri
 
Default translation

Hi

I have installed kde4 (gutsy) and compile french translation all is ok
I have done in kdevelop 3.5 the kde4 template : kapp, works fine
but in english : how could i make automatically a po.file ?
I read the tutorial about localisation but there is no working example
and i can't adapt it to kapp ?
could someone help me ?
kind regards


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Donn
 
Default translation

> but in english : how could i make automatically a po.file ?
> I read the tutorial about localisation but there is no working example
> and i can't adapt it to kapp ?

Hi, I am currently changing my little app into an 18n one. It's not an easy
job and takes a lot of time. The basic formula is this:

1. aptitude install gettext
2. Write your code, set the locale.
3. To make a pot file from the _("Strings in your app"):
xgettext -o yourtranslationfile.pot yourappname
4. Use kbabel (or a text editor) to edit that file - put all the French to
English strings in there. Use French _("in your app like this") and put the
English in the pot file
4. To make a .po file try this:
msginit -l en_ZA -i yourtranslationfile.pot -o yourtranslationfile.po
(Very slowly, makes the pot file -- or you could copy the .pot to .po)
5. To make a .mo file out of that:
msgfmt yourtranslationfile.po -oyourtranslationfile.mo
6. In your app's root folder make a folder called 'locales' and under it do
this:
locales
> en
> LC_MESSAGES
> yourtranslationfile.mo
> fr
> LC_MESSAGES
> yourtranslationfile.mo

That's the 10 cents version - for a better overview search online for the GNU
gettext manual and read it.

HTH
d

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:50 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"
 
Default translation

On Friday 21 December 2007, Donn wrote:

> > but in english : how could i make automatically a po.file ?
> > I read the tutorial about localisation but there is no working example
> > and i can't adapt it to kapp ?
>
> Hi, I am currently changing my little app into an 18n one. It's not an easy
> job and takes a lot of time. The basic formula is this:

>http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/kde-i18n-howto.html

> 1. aptitude install gettext

You have to use the special KDE gettext for some reason. I don't remember
why, but our users pointed out some problem that we could only solve by using
the proper gettext.

> 4. Use kbabel (or a text editor) to edit that file - put all the French to
> English strings in there. Use French _("in your app like this") and put the
> English in the pot file

From the above link:

11.2 Coding in a foreign language
If you are not comfortable with the English language, you may have coded
your application using strings in your native language. You must convert all
your code to English before it can be translated by the translation teams.
One solution is to get someone who understands both English and your
language to help you with this....

So I think I'd be sure to use English in the code, in case I ever wanted
anyone who didn't speak French to translate it. That's what every
application I can think of does. US English is the standard "untranslated"
state for text strings in the source code, and even UK English is a
translation. Works great for me. I guess somebody has to have the upper
hand linguistically, since Esperanto has never taken off.

> 4. To make a .po file try this:
> That's the 10 cents version - for a better overview search online for the
> GNU gettext manual and read it.

And you'd be a lot better off to take this question somewhere you could expect
to find developers. This is a user-oriented list.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Donn
 
Default translation

> So I think I'd be sure to use English in the code, in case I ever wanted
> anyone who didn't speak French to translate it.
Good point, I just though he might find it easier to kick-off with.

> And you'd be a lot better off to take this question somewhere you could
> expect to find developers. This is a user-oriented list.
Yeah, that would be best.

Girard: If you are using Python you can mail me off-list for help - well, I
ain't all that good, but I'll try.

d

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2007, 05:41 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"
 
Default translation

On Saturday 22 December 2007, Donn wrote:

> Good point, I just though he might find it easier to kick-off with.

May as well suck it up from the beginning, n'est-ce pas?

> Girard: If you are using Python you can mail me off-list for help - well, I
> ain't all that good, but I'll try.

Oh bloody hell, I didn't tell you to shut up or anything. I'm just saying
there aren't many developers on here.

Or for that matter, I actually am a developer, but I still don't know much
about translation stuff. Other than it's seriously evil, and life would be a
lot easier if everyone just spoke one language.

I nominate Spanish.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Girard Henri
 
Default translation

i know 4 languages ..
i think english is not the best choice as a language and that's not my
problem... i want to make pure french po... lol
english natives should make effort to export in other languages
fortunatly lot of people do it

thanks for the hints ( i read them for getext but not well detailed

D. Michael McIntyre a écrit :
> On Friday 21 December 2007, Donn wrote:
>
>
>>> but in english : how could i make automatically a po.file ?
>>> I read the tutorial about localisation but there is no working example
>>> and i can't adapt it to kapp ?
>>>
>> Hi, I am currently changing my little app into an 18n one. It's not an easy
>> job and takes a lot of time. The basic formula is this:
>>
>
>
>> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/kde-i18n-howto.html
>>
>
>
>> 1. aptitude install gettext
>>
>
> You have to use the special KDE gettext for some reason. I don't remember
> why, but our users pointed out some problem that we could only solve by using
> the proper gettext.
>
>
>> 4. Use kbabel (or a text editor) to edit that file - put all the French to
>> English strings in there. Use French _("in your app like this") and put the
>> English in the pot file
>>
>
> >From the above link:
>
> 11.2 Coding in a foreign language
> If you are not comfortable with the English language, you may have coded
> your application using strings in your native language. You must convert all
> your code to English before it can be translated by the translation teams.
> One solution is to get someone who understands both English and your
> language to help you with this....
>
> So I think I'd be sure to use English in the code, in case I ever wanted
> anyone who didn't speak French to translate it. That's what every
> application I can think of does. US English is the standard "untranslated"
> state for text strings in the source code, and even UK English is a
> translation. Works great for me. I guess somebody has to have the upper
> hand linguistically, since Esperanto has never taken off.
>
>
>> 4. To make a .po file try this:
>> That's the 10 cents version - for a better overview search online for the
>> GNU gettext manual and read it.
>>
>
> And you'd be a lot better off to take this question somewhere you could expect
> to find developers. This is a user-oriented list.
>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Girard Henri
 
Default translation

Don't worry
I notice it's hell about translation... That's why i am trying to
discover the "point"
After reading many docs about it I am yet not able to do a sample...
But I persist

kind regards
Henri

D. Michael McIntyre a écrit :
> On Saturday 22 December 2007, Donn wrote:
>
>
>> Good point, I just though he might find it easier to kick-off with.
>>
>
> May as well suck it up from the beginning, n'est-ce pas?
>
>
>> Girard: If you are using Python you can mail me off-list for help - well, I
>> ain't all that good, but I'll try.
>>
>
> Oh bloody hell, I didn't tell you to shut up or anything. I'm just saying
> there aren't many developers on here.
>
> Or for that matter, I actually am a developer, but I still don't know much
> about translation stuff. Other than it's seriously evil, and life would be a
> lot easier if everyone just spoke one language.
>
> I nominate Spanish.
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Donn
 
Default translation

> May as well suck it up from the beginning, n'est-ce pas?
I'm not sure what ya mean, but if he has trouble grokking English (and who the
heck doesn't ) then he may find coding in French easier. It all depends on
his app I suppose.

> Oh bloody hell, I didn't tell you to shut up or anything.
Never thought that for a moment.

> I'm just saying
> there aren't many developers on here.
Yeah, I was trying to tell him to shift off and offer help on the side.

> Or for that matter, I actually am a developer, but I still don't know much
> about translation stuff. Other than it's seriously evil, and life would be
> a lot easier if everyone just spoke one language.
> I nominate Spanish.
Nyet!



d

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Girard Henri
 
Default translation

I just want to find the way to translate an app (simple first) in any
languages ... As I said it I am working on kde4 and I would like to be
able to translate it... kde4 is already in fr and it's more interesting
to read it in own's mother language... Mandriva translated it but not
kubuntu yet
I could do progs in french but I think it's a pity not sharing an app


Donn a écrit :
>> May as well suck it up from the beginning, n'est-ce pas?
>>
> I'm not sure what ya mean, but if he has trouble grokking English (and who the
> heck doesn't ) then he may find coding in French easier. It all depends on
> his app I suppose.
>
>
>> Oh bloody hell, I didn't tell you to shut up or anything.
>>
> Never thought that for a moment.
>
>
>> I'm just saying
>> there aren't many developers on here.
>>
> Yeah, I was trying to tell him to shift off and offer help on the side.
>
>
>> Or for that matter, I actually am a developer, but I still don't know much
>> about translation stuff. Other than it's seriously evil, and life would be
>> a lot easier if everyone just spoke one language.
>> I nominate Spanish.
>>
> Nyet!
>
>
>
> d
>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Donn
 
Default translation

> I just want to find the way to translate an app (simple first) in any
> languages ... As I said it I am working on kde4 and I would like to be
> able to translate it...
I still think you'll find better info on a dev-XXX mailing list somewhere. No
idea where. Let us know if you find a good source of info!

d

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org