Old 12-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Wulfy

Default translation

Is this the article you read? <http://l10n.kde.org/docs/translation-howto/>

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 12-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Girard Henri

yes...
Is there no way to have something shorter and with example .
For example tutorial l10n is perfect (only one thing i didn't understand
where to create the build dir ..) but after sometimes i understood
I am not an expert.
The problem is to get the strings in the po

Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Donn

> The problem is to get the strings in the po

It sounds like you want to get the strings from a source file into a .pot
file,no? You use xgettext to do that. Then you edit it. Then you cp it
to .po. Then you create a .mo from that.

I put that all in my last post to you - assuming that's what you mean.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Wulfy

Girard Henri wrote:
> yes...
> Is there no way to have something shorter and with example .
> For example tutorial l10n is perfect (only one thing i didn't understand
> where to create the build dir ..) but after sometimes i understood
> I am not an expert.
> The problem is to get the strings in the po

I'm not a translator so I have no experience with this, but there's a
package in the repos "translator-toolkit" which maybe what you're
looking for, there's also kbabel. :@)

You could also try asking on the kde mailing list
<https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-i18n-doc/>

I hope this helps...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 12-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Billie Walsh

On 12/22/2007 D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Or for that matter, I actually am a developer, but I still don't know much
> about translation stuff. Other than it's seriously evil, and life
would be a
> lot easier if everyone just spoke one language.
>
> I nominate Spanish.

Back in the early days of science fiction the writers talked about
"Spanglish". It was sort of an English/Spanish hybrid language. I don't
think many people took them to serious at the time. Today, with the huge
influx of Spanish speaking people into the USofA there is a lot of
Spanish sneaking into everyday usage. I guess the sci-fi writers should
have been taken seriously.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 22 December 2007, Girard Henri wrote:
> The problem is to get the strings in the po

If I were you, I'd grab the source to some other KDE4 application that has
been translated, and poke around in the source. We use a script called
po/messages.sh to do this job, and I think we lifted that from KDE's way of
doing things. Of course Rosegarden is a KDE 3.x application, and I have no
idea how anything might be different in KDE4.

(I think I will play with KDE4 over the holidays.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Girard Henri

Good idea !
kde4 is quiete interesting now
I did what you suggested : But kde4 apps are long progs...
kcalc and others have this messages.sh
i am coming nearer thanks to you all
Henri

Old 12-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Girard Henri

here is the syntax in kcalc (the same in others ) Messages.sh
$XGETTEXT *.cpp -o $podir/kcalc.pot
that's what you told me Donn

Old 12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Donn

> here is the syntax in kcalc (the same in others ) Messages.sh
> $XGETTEXT *.cpp -o $podir/kcalc.pot
> that's what you told me Donn
Cool. Weird, but cool

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
"Guilherme Nolasco"

Hi there!
*
I'm a new Edubuntu user and would like to translate*as*many applications as I*can to Portuguese (Brazilian), but I have no idea*on how to make it happen. I've already registered myself in LaunchPad, yet I don't know how to use it. I would really appreciate some help on this issue, if possible, please.

*
By the way, I think*this is*a good opportunity to congratulate*you all for*developing*so amazing and fascinating systems (or softwares,*OS,*add-ons), like Edubuntu.
*
Best regards,

Guilherme Magalhães Nolasco
guinolasco@gmail.com