Old 12-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Jim

Default Grub won't Load

Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007 16:43, Jim wrote:
>
>> Manpreet Dhillon wrote:
>>
>>> Although there can be other solution but I know only one. You can try
>>> Super Grub disk. As now you can't boot your computer. Use your friend's
>>>
> (snip)
>
>>> Grub loading, please wait
>>> Error 21
>>>
>>> How do get into ubuntu in "Rescue Mode" to run grub-install to set boot
>>> sector ?
>>>
>> You mean Ubuntu doesn't have a rescue disk to to do a grub-install
>> /dev/hda ?
>>

> And what about booting from the install cd?
>
> HTH Perry

How do you use Live-Install disk to run "grub-install /dev/sda" ?
I download the Alternate-Ubuntu 7.10 Cd an ran, but when I get to menu
and select "Install new Grub boot loader" on /dev/sda, It's keeps taking
me back to "Partitioning Manager", That's not where I want to be.
There's nothing wrong with the Partitions.
I have got a Laptop that has WinXP, Fedora 8, and Kubuntu 7.10, on same
hard drive.
I had to upgrade Fedora, from 6 > 8 and it changed boot loader on
/dev/sda, and I want use the Ubuntu, Grub boot loader
because it sees all three operating systems. For some reason Fedora is
only seeing , Fedora and WinXp.

/dev/sda1 Dell Utils.
/dev/sda2 WinXp
/dev/sda3 Fedora /
/dev/sda4 Extended
/dev/sda5 Fedora /home
/dev/sda6 Swap
/dev/sda7 Kubuntu /
/dev/hda8 Kubuntu /home

Yeah !! , Everybody is asking why three operating on one Laptop ??
I give instructions to Newbies coming from $Windows and feel that
Kubuntu is best/easiest for new users,
But I'm a aspiring Linux Hacker and I prefer Fedora.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Friday 21 December 2007 16:31, Jim wrote:
> Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> > And what about booting from the install cd?
> >

> How do you use Live-Install disk to run "grub-install /dev/sda" ?
> I download the Alternate-Ubuntu 7.10 Cd an ran, but when I get to menu
> and select "Install new Grub boot loader" on /dev/sda, It's keeps taking
> me back to "Partitioning Manager", That's not where I want to be.
> There's nothing wrong with the Partitions.

Sorry, I'm not an expert and still use Feisty.
Many install/rescue CDs are able to recognise the installed systems and offer
an option to boot from one of them. If that is not available, what to do?

I could try many things:
_Double check that I didn't miss the opportunity to boot from the CD into an
installed system (perhaps you did that checking)
_Try figure out why the CD keeps taking you back to "Partitioning Manager",
(either a bug or you missed something there). Make small changes to the
partitions there (if possible) just to force updating.
(No, I don't belive computers are 100% deterministic. Every time you
retry the same action, something has changed, and the result may differ)
_Try a Fedora CD to boot Fedora or repair the bootloader or try to install any
other Linux where you have Ubuntu.
_Follow Manpreet's suggestion.

Good luck Perry

--
BOFH excuse #46: waste water tank overflowed onto computer