Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Bas Roufs

Default (Newbie) Looking for a functional internal RAM memory for a HP Pavilion t3240.nl to be prepared for Kubuntu.

Hello everbody

After only one month of working with Kubuntu 7.10/ Linux at my laptop, I
do already more than 90% of my work on this delicious OS. That's why, I
have decided to install also a Kubuntu-WinXP dual boot on my desktop
PC: a "HP Pavilion t3240.nl - Celeron D 341". I bought this PC early
2005 with a the following internal memory: DDR II SDRAM 256 MB, DIMM
240-pins, 533 Mhz. The mainboard has an 'Intel 910GE Express' chip and a
system bus of 533 MHz only.
For Kubuntu, I need at least 350 MB internal memory. That's why I have
been looking for models of 512 or 1024 MB, but with the same other
specifications: DDR2-SDRAM, DIMM 240 pins, 533 MHz. So far, I have
found several DDR2-DIMM memory trays of 667 and 800Mhz of good quality
and reasonable prices. However, the 533Mhz. ones are seemingly obsolete:
they are either expensive or not available at all. Now I come with the
main question of this message:

================================================== ===============================
Can a memory tray of 667 or 800 Mhz also function in combination with
the 533 Mhz system bus??
================================================== ===============================

I provide you with a bit more technical info that could perhaps be
relevant in order to be able to answer my question. The RAM memory
capacity can be expended until maximally 2024 MB. 4 DIMM 24O pins memory
trays can be inserted - probably 512 MB each. There are two hard disks:
one of 80 GB, another one of 160 GB. The originally pre-installed WINXP
home edition has been replaced later by WINXP 'professional'. However,
my sucking windows experiences are not 'professional' at all :-( .....

If you need more technical info beside from what I have mentioned here,
you can find it via two specific parts of the HP website:

Overview:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=se&dlc=sv&product=114844 3&lang=sv&

Several details:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00379292&lc=en&cc=se&dlc=sv&prod uct=1148443&lang=sv

In case one or more answers will come in, I am able to react on them
after this weekend.

Have a good time and thanks in advance!

Bas.

--