-   -   SOLVED: (New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Update/ upgrade difficulties Thunderbird. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/2007-solved-new-kubuntu-linux-update-upgrade-difficulties-thunderbird.html)

Bas Roufs 11-21-2007 10:22 AM

SOLVED: (New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Update/ upgrade difficulties Thunderbird.

Dear Everybody

Yesterday I submitted my question with respect to the update/ upgrade
difficulties of Thunderbird in Kubuntu 7.10. From both the Ubuntu and
Kubuntu mailing lists, an overwhelming response came in. Thank you very
much!

In fact, all the feed back contained to different tendencies.

One group of mails contained practical advises on how to install the
newest version, Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 in the home directory in order to be
able to get the updates all the time.

A second group of mails reflected another approach. It explained why the
updating of software like Thunderbird is being delayed deliberately in
Linux distributions like Kubuntu and Ubuntu, in order to maintain a
certain system stability.

Taking these two different tendencies into consideration, I did another
attempt to solve the problem while choosing for this system stability
approach - the main reason for me to transfer from Windows to Linux.
This time I managed to install the dictionaries that are 'not
compatible' with Thunderbird 2.0.0.6: the Spanish, German, US
English, Esperanto and Russian ones. In spite of the alleged
'incompatibility' all the dictionaries work fine - probably because they
are .xpi files, like the dictionaries that are still 'officially'
compatible with Thunderbird 2.0.0.6.: two Dutch dictionaries, a British
English one, the Italian, old German and French ones. However it may be,
I am satisfied now and I simply wait for the updates to be delivered in
the framework of the Kubuntu distribution.

I hope this short report is useful for others working with Thunderbird
in more than one language.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas Roufs.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Donn 11-21-2007 12:25 PM

SOLVED: (New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Update/ upgrade difficulties Thunderbird.

> I hope this short report is useful for others working with Thunderbird
> in more than one language.
Nice feedback Bas, thanks.
You may find as your Kubuntu gets older that you become frustrated at how
slowly new software arrives. Eventually it gets to a point where the new
distros have all the latest stuff and yours will never see another byte of
new code.
That's when the most conservative of us will reluctantly upgrade to a new
version of Kubuntu/whatever -- it's a balance between a stable "just-works"
system and the desire/need for the latest software and it always picks a
Sunday in ones' future and ruins it totally :D

Keep on having fun with Gnu/Linux, there's nothing better!

/d

Derek Broughton 11-21-2007 12:33 PM

Donn wrote:

>> I hope this short report is useful for others working with Thunderbird
>> in more than one language.
> Nice feedback Bas, thanks.

Yeah - it's always nice to see feedback, especially from the newer users who
are likely to just dump Ubuntu (and probably Linux) if they don't find
solutions quickly
--
derek