Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Neil Winchurst

Default Upgrading packages

I notice that some repositories are not included in the automatic
updating of packages, eg Universe.

If I am using a package from such a repository and I notice that there
is a new version available, what is the best way to upgrade please?

Neil Winchurst

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Derek Broughton

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I notice that some repositories are not included in the automatic
> updating of packages, eg Universe.
>
> If I am using a package from such a repository and I notice that there
> is a new version available, what is the best way to upgrade please?

Turn on universe in your favorite package manager...

If it's not included in automatic updating, it's only because it's either
not present or not enabled in sources.list
--
derek

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Neil Winchurst

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> I notice that some repositories are not included in the automatic
>> updating of packages, eg Universe.
>>
>> If I am using a package from such a repository and I notice that there
>> is a new version available, what is the best way to upgrade please?
>
> Turn on universe in your favorite package manager...
>
> If it's not included in automatic updating, it's only because it's either
> not present or not enabled in sources.list

Universe is enabled in sources.list. Here is the relevant section from
the file

> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
> ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
> ## team.
> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe

As you can see it says that I will not receive updates. Is there some
way around this please?

Neil

Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> I notice that some repositories are not included in the automatic
>>> updating of packages, eg Universe.
>>>
>>> If I am using a package from such a repository and I notice that there
>>> is a new version available, what is the best way to upgrade please?
>> Turn on universe in your favorite package manager...
>>
>> If it's not included in automatic updating, it's only because it's either
>> not present or not enabled in sources.list
>
> Universe is enabled in sources.list. Here is the relevant section from
> the file
>
>> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
>> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
>> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
>> ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
>> ## team.
>> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
>> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
>> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
>> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
>
> As you can see it says that I will not receive updates. Is there some
> way around this please?

I believe that you are just interpreting the statement the wrong way. It
says that the Ubuntu Security Team are not involved in reviewing updates
to the Universe repos as these are packages not maintained by Ubuntu
Security Team. That does not mean they do not get updated every now and
then.

Correct me if I am wrong,
Sinclair

Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Art Alexion

Oh, you mean as a matter of policy as opposed to technical reasons.
That's why it is "universe". Universe is not officially supported.

--

Art Alexion
Sent unsigned from an iPod. That's the reason for the top posting as

Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 3:08:57 am Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Neil Winchurst wrote:
> >> I notice that some repositories are not included in the automatic
> >> updating of packages, eg Universe.
> >>
> >> If I am using a package from such a repository and I notice that there
> >> is a new version available, what is the best way to upgrade please?
> >
> > Turn on universe in your favorite package manager...
> >
> > If it's not included in automatic updating, it's only because it's either
> > not present or not enabled in sources.list
>
> Universe is enabled in sources.list. Here is the relevant section from
> the file
>
> > ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
> > Ubuntu ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy
> > yourself as to ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that
> > software in ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the
> > Ubuntu security ## team.
> > deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
> > deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
> > deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
> > deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
>
> As you can see it says that I will not receive updates. Is there some
> way around this please?

No, it says you will not receive updates "from the Ubuntu security team".
When you DO receive updates they will be from someone else is all.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> I notice that some repositories are not included in the automatic
>>> updating of packages, eg Universe.
>>>
>>> If I am using a package from such a repository and I notice that there
>>> is a new version available, what is the best way to upgrade please?
>>
>> Turn on universe in your favorite package manager...
>>
>> If it's not included in automatic updating, it's only because it's either
>> not present or not enabled in sources.list
>
> Universe is enabled in sources.list. Here is the relevant section from
> the file
>> Also, please note that
>> ## software in universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the
>> ## Ubuntu security team.
>
> As you can see it says that I will not receive updates. Is there some
> way around this please?

It doesn't say that at all - it says universe will not receive updates FROM
THE SECURITY TEAM. Universe is not maintained by Canonical, it's
maintained by MOTU (The Masters of the Universe) - basically a LUG :-)
They determine when Universe is updated, and they provide any security
updates.
--
derek

Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Neil Winchurst

Pastor JW wrote:

>>> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
>>> Ubuntu ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy
>>> yourself as to ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that
>>> software in ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the
>>> Ubuntu security ## team.
>>> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
>>> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
>>> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
>>> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
>> As you can see it says that I will not receive updates. Is there some
>> way around this please?
>
> No, it says you will not receive updates "from the Ubuntu security team".
> When you DO receive updates they will be from someone else is all.

As an example ........

I use sylpheed email client which I installed from the repositories. It
is version 2.4.5. Looking at the web site I see that the latest stable
version is 2.5.0, but I have not seen any update information at all. So
my question is, will I ever get updates for such packages and if so how?

Neil

Old 10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Art Alexion

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 12:04:19 pm Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I use sylpheed email client which I installed from the repositories. It
> is version 2.4.5. Looking at the web site I see that the latest stable
> version is 2.5.0, but I have not seen any update information at all. So
> my question is, will I ever get updates for such packages and if so how?

Maybe, but probably not. Except for the backports repos, the PPAs and some
third party repos, package versions are usually frozen for a distro version.
Updates that are available are usually security updates and major bug fixes.

As an example, take samba which I believe is in main. Current version is
3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.5 for Hardy. It will not see an upgrade to version 4, but
may see some security fixes.

If you want upgrades like you describe, you will need to (a) find another
source, (b) compile from source, or (c) upgrade your distro.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I use sylpheed email client which I installed from the repositories. It
> is version 2.4.5. Looking at the web site I see that the latest stable
> version is 2.5.0, but I have not seen any update information at all. So
> my question is, will I ever get updates for such packages and if so how?

And the answer is an uninformative "maybe", and the same way you get updates
for anything else...

Each Universe package will have its own maintainer, and you're at the mercy
of the maintainer whether you ever get security updates. You generally
_won't_ get version updates for _any_ packages, not just universe. When
security patches are made, the patches are applied to the current release,
not the latest version available upstream.

The good news in this case is that you can have 2.5.0 next week if you
upgrade to Intrepid...
--
derek