Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Neil Winchurst

Default Upgrading packages

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> I use sylpheed email client which I installed from the repositories. It
>> is version 2.4.5. Looking at the web site I see that the latest stable
>> version is 2.5.0, but I have not seen any update information at all. So
>> my question is, will I ever get updates for such packages and if so how?
>
> And the answer is an uninformative "maybe", and the same way you get updates
> for anything else...
>
> Each Universe package will have its own maintainer, and you're at the mercy
> of the maintainer whether you ever get security updates. You generally
> _won't_ get version updates for _any_ packages, not just universe. When
> security patches are made, the patches are applied to the current release,
> not the latest version available upstream.
>
> The good news in this case is that you can have 2.5.0 next week if you
> upgrade to Intrepid...

Thanks for all the info. And I will not be upgrading to Intrepid. I
still use Gutsy, though I may add Hardy as a dual boot soon. But not
with KDE4.

Neil

Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Angel Bosch Mora

hi,

i've some questions about upgrading:

- must i run 'setup-ds-admin.pl -u' everytime there's a new package in the repos?

- doesn't packaging take care of that?

- does it matter how many instances are configured?

i've been having some strange problems in my (mixed) environment and i just want to clarify some things.

abosch

Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Rich Megginson

Angel Bosch Mora wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've some questions about upgrading:
>
> - must i run 'setup-ds-admin.pl -u' everytime there's a new package in the repos?

After each yum update that updates 389-ds-base and/or 389-admin
> - doesn't packaging take care of that?

In general, it can't. The reason is that you may be using a centralized
configuration directory server to manage several hosts with one
389-console. If you do that, the data that needs to be updated is on
the remote server which hosts the configuration directory server (the
one with the o=NetscapeRoot suffix). We need to get at least the
console admin password to update that information remotely.
> - does it matter how many instances are configured?

It should not.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Is "admin server" and "centralized configuration directory" the same thing here?

I am slightly confused about this. I thought that you had to have a admin server for each physical hosts?

Regards

[Gerrard Geldenhuis]

Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Rich Megginson

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> [...]
No. The configuration directory server is the directory server that has
the o=NetscapeRoot suffix. The admin server is the http(s) agent
running on each machine that handles console authentication and access,
and runs CGI programs.
> I am slightly confused about this. I thought that you had to have a admin server for each physical hosts?

Yes.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Angel Bosch Mora

> >> In general, it can't. The reason is that you may be using a
> >> centralized configuration directory server to manage several hosts
> >> with one 389-
> >> console. If you do that, the data that needs to be updated is on
> >> the remote
> >> server which hosts the configuration directory server (the one with
> >> the o=NetscapeRoot suffix). We need to get at least the console
> >> admin password to update that information remotely.

i'm refloting this thread to make a little suggestion.

when 389 packages are upgraded it could be usefull to show a warning if one or more instances are found.

im not sure about centos, but in debian land is very tipical to found messages like that after installing/upgrading:

"Remember to restart XXX package!"

can yum do that?

do you think is a good idea?

should i file a bug/feature request?

regards,

abosch

Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Rich Megginson

On 12/14/2010 03:39 AM, Angel Bosch Mora wrote:
> [...]
Why?
> im not sure about centos, but in debian land is very tipical to found messages like that after installing/upgrading:
>
> "Remember to restart XXX package!"
>
> can yum do that?
rpm can do that, if you run it from the command line. If you use a
graphical tool to install/update packages, this information is not printed.

But when you update 389-ds-base, rpm will upgrade and restart the
servers for you (if they were running when you did the upgrade).
> do you think is a good idea?
>
> should i file a bug/feature request?
I'd like to find out what is the problem with the way it is done now,
and the motivation (i.e. what is the problem that you are attempting to
solve).

Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Angel Bosch Mora

> > im not sure about centos, but in debian land is very tipical to
> > found messages like that after installing/upgrading:
> >
> > "Remember to restart XXX package!"
> >
> > can yum do that?
> rpm can do that, if you run it from the command line. If you use a
> graphical tool to install/update packages, this information is not
> printed.
>
> But when you update 389-ds-base, rpm will upgrade and restart the
> servers for you (if they were running when you did the upgrade).

so, if rpm can detect you have an instance, why don't just run setup-ds-admin.pl -u?

> > do you think is a good idea?
> >
> > should i file a bug/feature request?
> I'd like to find out what is the problem with the way it is done now,
> and the motivation (i.e. what is the problem that you are attempting
> to solve).

i though it was clear with my previous questions.

upgrading your system from packages can be dangerous if you dont perform specific steps (setup-ds-admin.pl -u).

there's few packages that needs to perform a manual operation after upgrading, so a system may be misconfigured whithout your knowledge.

anyway, if you dont find this usefull just forget it. maybe is my problem because i tend to update my systems very often.

regards,

abosch

Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Rich Megginson

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/389-users/2010-December/012576.html

>>> do you think is a good idea?
>>>
>>> should i file a bug/feature request?
>> I'd like to find out what is the problem with the way it is done now,
>> and the motivation (i.e. what is the problem that you are attempting
>> to solve).
> i though it was clear with my previous questions.
>
> upgrading your system from packages can be dangerous if you dont perform specific steps (setup-ds-admin.pl -u).
Can you explain what you mean by "dangerous".
> there's few packages that needs to perform a manual operation after upgrading, so a system may be misconfigured whithout your knowledge.
>
> anyway, if you dont find this usefull just forget it. maybe is my problem because i tend to update my systems very often.
If there were an easy way to run setup-ds-admin.pl -u without user
intervention remotely (note that the configuration directory server may
be on a different machine than the one you are upgrading) . . .