Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 PM
David Fletcher

Default Wireless Connection Problems

On Saturday 04 Oct 2008, Graham Todd wrote:
> I'm having some problems with connecting with my HI-GRADE Model 332
> laptop and its included Intel/PRO Wireless 2200 wireless card. Now
> this is the problem.
>
> At university, there is a "campus web" and the laptop connects
> effortlessly there, without any problems. At home, the laptop simply
> doesn't connect at all.
>
> I thought at first it was my placement, but as I live in a bungalow, it
> wasn't the line of sight that stopped the signal connecting. I took
> the laptop closer to my router: the laptop recognised the network but
> did not connect. The icon moved from the circling gear to the
> unplugged plug every time. So I changed over routers, and the same
> thing happened.
>
> I've thought about changing the wireless card, but the laptop is only
> on loan to me and opening it will void the warrenty, so its not an
> option.
>
> Can anybody suggest what's wrong? I'm using Kubuntu Hardy btw.
>
> --
> Graham Todd

I've no idea what's wrong here, but I too have little mysteries with WiFi
gadgets. My laptop is an old 2nd/3rd hand Toshiba Satellite without the WiFi
adaptor fitted. I have two WiFi adaptors for it, a BlueNext BN-WD54G USB
unit, and an Asus WL-107g Card Bus adaptor.

Both of these work just fine at home, and at the home of a friend whose WiFi
and computer I've set up. But at other locations such as the public WiFi
access point we found in Spain, the USB unit works as usual and the Card Bus
unit sees nothing. I've no idea at all why.

It would be interesting to know if anybody else has similar experience.

Dave

Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Graham Todd wrote:

> I'm having some problems with connecting with my HI-GRADE Model 332
> laptop and its included Intel/PRO Wireless 2200 wireless card. Now
> this is the problem.
>
> At university, there is a "campus web" and the laptop connects
> effortlessly there, without any problems. At home, the laptop simply
> doesn't connect at all.

Then clearly there's nothing intrinsically wrong with either your adapter or
the network software.

> I've thought about changing the wireless card, but the laptop is only
> on loan to me and opening it will void the warrenty, so its not an
> option.

There's always Cardbus/ExpressCard/USB adapters... Not that I expect it to
make a difference, since you connect fine on-campus.

> Can anybody suggest what's wrong? I'm using Kubuntu Hardy btw.

Not without your logs...
--
derek

Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Joel Oliver

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Graham Todd wrote:
>

>> I'm having some problems with connecting with my HI-GRADE Model 332
>> laptop and its included Intel/PRO Wireless 2200 wireless card. Now
>> this is the problem.
>>
>> At university, there is a "campus web" and the laptop connects
>> effortlessly there, without any problems. At home, the laptop simply
>> doesn't connect at all.
>>

> Then clearly there's nothing intrinsically wrong with either your adapter or
> the network software.
>

>> I've thought about changing the wireless card, but the laptop is only
>> on loan to me and opening it will void the warrenty, so its not an
>> option.
>>

> There's always Cardbus/ExpressCard/USB adapters... Not that I expect it to
> make a difference, since you connect fine on-campus.
>

>> Can anybody suggest what's wrong? I'm using Kubuntu Hardy btw.
>>

> Not without your logs...

Not really helping fix your problem, but.... I've found that switching
between many different wifi setups in different areas (WEP/WPA
mixtures...) is much easier replacing network manager and its applet
with Wicd

Just add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras

then:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wicd

Wicd has many more features pertaining to managing many essid's and
allowing them to auto connect if desired. It also manages wired
networks as well.

Please note this package conflicts with network manager and mn-applet
and will remove them before installing itself... It may be a good idea
to re-download these 2 or 3 packages from the repos and/or copy them out
of /var/cache/apt/archives/ in case you need to reinstall them in case
things get messed up and you lose your internet.

Too bad Ubuntu/Kubuntu doesn't use Wicd by default. It truly is an
amazingly simple and highly configurable network management utility.

Hope this helps....
Joel.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 AM
pkaplan1

I haven't had wireless problems on kubuntu for several years until Lucid.
I did a fresh install and knetwork manager will not automatically connect to
my LAN, although I can manually start the connection thru the manager. Even
after the connecting, I keep getting a dialog asking for the password (which
is already entered correctly.

I used wicd under Karmic and this seems to be a total bust under Lucid. It
rejects all attempts to connect, telling me that my password is incorrect
(which it isn't).

Have solutions to either network manager been posted?
Paul

Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Nils Kassube

pkaplan1 wrote:
> I used wicd under Karmic and this seems to be a total bust under
> Lucid. It rejects all attempts to connect, telling me that my
> password is incorrect (which it isn't).

If you want to use Wicd, you should uninstall network-manager. At least
that's what was necessary here.

Nils

Old 05-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Gerardo

pkaplan1 wrote:
> I haven't had wireless problems on kubuntu for several years until Lucid.
> I did a fresh install and knetwork manager will not automatically connect to
> my LAN, although I can manually start the connection thru the manager. Even
> after the connecting, I keep getting a dialog asking for the password (which
> is already entered correctly.
>
> I used wicd under Karmic and this seems to be a total bust under Lucid. It
> rejects all attempts to connect, telling me that my password is incorrect
> (which it isn't).
>
> Have solutions to either network manager been posted?
> Paul

I had the same problem too. I could connect to an unencrypted, but not
to an WPA network. I ended up removing network manager and using
wpa_supplicant.

Here is my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_psk.conf
------ BEGIN ---------------
ap_scan=2
network={
scan_ssid=0
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
ssid="My Router SSID"
psk="My Password"
}
----- END -------------

And here's my /etc/network/interfaces
----- BEGIN --------

# The loopback network interface
auto lo wlan0
iface lo inet loopback

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
# address 192.168.1.30
# netmask 255.255.255.0
wireless-essid children
gateway 192.168.1.1
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_psk.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant
----- END -------------

This gets me online as soon as I boot up. At any other time, I can
bring it up with 'sudo ifup wlan0'.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Ralph

On May 6, 2010 10:53:57 pm pkaplan1 wrote:
> I haven't had wireless problems on kubuntu for several years until Lucid.
> I did a fresh install and knetwork manager will not automatically connect
> to my LAN, although I can manually start the connection thru the manager.
> Even after the connecting, I keep getting a dialog asking for the password
> (which is already entered correctly.
>
> I used wicd under Karmic and this seems to be a total bust under Lucid. It
> rejects all attempts to connect, telling me that my password is incorrect
> (which it isn't).
>
> Have solutions to either network manager been posted?
> Paul

I have no problem with knetworkmanager for a wireless WPA2 connection. It is
partially automatic only because I am asked for the Wallet password where my
WPA2 pass-phrase is stored.
Ralph

Old 05-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday, May 06, 2010, pkaplan1 wrote:
> I used wicd under Karmic and this seems to be a total bust under
> Lucid. It rejects all attempts to connect, telling me that my password
> is incorrect (which it isn't).
>
> Have solutions to either network manager been posted?
> Paul

I have NEVER gotten kmanager to connect in the last 3 kubuntu releases and
always have to resort to a wired connection in order to install wicd.

And wicd has always worked well until lucid.

The problem?? Normally when you install wicd, it removes network manager
and everything works well. For lucid, NM is NOT removed and this causes
problems with wpa-supplicant having two copies, one for NM and the other for
wicd.

The answer?? Remove NM like it should have been removed. Wicd will work
fine after a reboot or shutdown of the running NM.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 PM

I did this (or so I thought).
What packages need to be removed before installing wicd?
How do I remove the duplicates of wpa-supplicant?Paul