Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Wulfy

Default Upgrade Feisty to Gutsy

I upgraded from feisty to gutsy recently. I found that a number of
packages were in "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages" in aptitude.
For most of them, I've been able to infer which package replaced them
but not for one, libdvdplay0. It depends on libdvdread3, which still
shows a reverse depends on it and is in Gutsy.

So to my questions;

1) Is it safe to remove libdvdplay0? I play all my dvds through the
computer so I don't want to break anything...
2) Why were these packages left hanging? If they were replaced, they
should have been automatically removed, surely?

I must admit, I waited almost a month before upgrading to watch for
problems and, as upgrade-manager seems to be a GNOME application, I
don't have it and used aptitude for the upgrade. I had no problems at
all apart from the dangling packages. :@)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Christian Schult

Hallo Wulfy,

* Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:

> I upgraded from feisty to gutsy recently. I found that a number of
> packages were in "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages" in aptitude.
> For most of them, I've been able to infer which package replaced them
> but not for one, libdvdplay0. It depends on libdvdread3, which still
> shows a reverse depends on it and is in Gutsy.

Libdvdread3 from Gutsy (libdvdread3 0.9.7-3ubuntu1) has no rdepends on
libdvdplay0. Libdvdplay0 does not exist for Gutsy.

> So to my questions;
>
> 1) Is it safe to remove libdvdplay0? I play all my dvds through the
> computer so I don't want to break anything...

Deinstall libdvdplay0 and maybe install libdvdread3 again.

Christian

Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Wulfy

Christian Schult wrote:
> Hallo Wulfy,
>
> * Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
>

>> I upgraded from feisty to gutsy recently. I found that a number of
>> packages were in "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages" in aptitude.
>> For most of them, I've been able to infer which package replaced them
>> but not for one, libdvdplay0. It depends on libdvdread3, which still
>> shows a reverse depends on it and is in Gutsy.
>>

> Libdvdread3 from Gutsy (libdvdread3 0.9.7-3ubuntu1) has no rdepends on
> libdvdplay0. Libdvdplay0 does not exist for Gutsy.
>

>> So to my questions;
>>
>> 1) Is it safe to remove libdvdplay0? I play all my dvds through the
>> computer so I don't want to break anything...
>>

> Deinstall libdvdplay0 and maybe install libdvdread3 again.
>
> Christian

Thanks, Christian!

Though it's strange... I checked libdvdread3 before I e-mailed and it
seemed to rdepend on libdvdplay0... the dependency is now gone.

Anyway. No more "Obsolete...Packages"! :@)

Thanks again.

--
Blessings