Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Bruce Bales

Default Trouble installing 7.10 -- solved

On Monday 19 November 2007 17:28, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Karl said the following at 11/19/2007 02:53 PM :
> > Bruce Bales wrote:
> >> The complete series of results is
> >>
> >> First, the Kubuntu logo and a list of "Install, Run, Check CD,
> >> etc." I pick one and get a message that shows for one second
> >> that contains " ... acpi fails ...."
> >
> > Try booting the cd with the kernel option 'noacpi'.
> > See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
>
> I didn't realise that you could get to the boot options from the
> Live CD. That was part of my rationale for suggesting the
> alternative CD, because I thought I had read somewhere (maybe for
> an older version of Ubuntu) that if one wanted to change the boot
> options, one had to use the alternative CD. Or maybe I'm just
> hallucinating.
>
> Anyway, given that you can do this, I agree (loudly) that this is
> the thing to try.
>
> Doc
The alternate CD worked, but text mode only. I got the installation
started. Many thanks to all for the suggestions. This is one of the
things that makes Linux great.

Seems like one time long ago I installed a system where it was easy to
describe how I wanted the partitioning done. Or do I just have to
complain about something?
bruce