-   -   Compiz (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/15698-compiz.html)

Stew Schneider 12-09-2007 01:13 PM

Compiz

I'm probably just not Googling well, but is it possible, with the
"cube", to have different icons on the different desktops? That is,
could you have a desktop with icons for web design displayed, and
another for writing, and another for whatever?

Also, how to get the cube going under KDE? I hafta go to Gnome to play
with it.

stew

"Scott (angrykeyboarder)" 12-10-2007 05:31 PM

Compiz

Stew Schneider spake thusly:

> Also, how to get the cube going under KDE? I hafta go to Gnome to play
> with it.

I'm having exactly the same problem. All my desktop will do is this
irritating flip, despite having it set to do the cube. But in GNOME it
works fine.

Once again, this proves Kubuntu is Ubuntu's red-headed stepchild.

--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com

Stew Schneider 12-10-2007 06:39 PM

Compiz

Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> I'm having exactly the same problem. All my desktop will do is this
> irritating flip, despite having it set to do the cube. But in GNOME it
> works fine.
>
> Once again, this proves Kubuntu is Ubuntu's red-headed stepchild.

I can't get the red-haired setting, either. Best I can do is a sort of
strawberry blonde with light eyebrows ;->

stew

"Andrew Jarrett" 12-10-2007 07:26 PM

Compiz

On Dec 9, 2007 9:13 AM, Stew Schneider <stew.schneider@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm probably just not Googling well, but is it possible, with the
> "cube", to have different icons on the different desktops? That is,
> could you have a desktop with icons for web design displayed, and
> another for writing, and another for whatever?
>
> Also, how to get the cube going under KDE? I hafta go to Gnome to play
> with it.
>
> stew

I don't think the whole idea with different icons on different sides
of the cube is possible. I, too, would like to have that so if you
figure it out, let us know.

As for the cube, go into the CompizConfig Settings Manager (should be
under "Settings" in the K-menu) and make sure Desktop cube and Rotate
Cube are both enabled. The cube is based upon how many desktops you
are currently running: i.e. I have two virtual desktops, so I have a
rotating piece of paper (2 sides). Give that a shot and see if you
can figure it out.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

"Greg Booth" 12-10-2007 07:33 PM

Compiz

On Dec 10, 2007 2:26 PM, Andrew Jarrett <jarrett.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2007 9:13 AM, Stew Schneider <stew.schneider@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm probably just not Googling well, but is it possible, with the
> > "cube", to have different icons on the different desktops? That is,
> > could you have a desktop with icons for web design displayed, and
> > another for writing, and another for whatever?
> >
> > Also, how to get the cube going under KDE? I hafta go to Gnome to play
> > with it.
> >
> > stew
>
> I don't think the whole idea with different icons on different sides
> of the cube is possible. I, too, would like to have that so if you
> figure it out, let us know.
>
> As for the cube, go into the CompizConfig Settings Manager (should be
> under "Settings" in the K-menu) and make sure Desktop cube and Rotate
> Cube are both enabled. The cube is based upon how many desktops you
> are currently running: i.e. I have two virtual desktops, so I have a
> rotating piece of paper (2 sides). Give that a shot and see if you
> can figure it out.
>
> Andrew

I asked this a while back because while I don't use "The Cube" I use
one of my desktops exclusively for VirtualBox and didn't want the
Virtual Box icon on any of my other desktops, but we were unable to
figure out how to make it appear on one desktop only.

Maybe a feature request at kde.org ??

Greg Booth

Stew Schneider 12-10-2007 07:33 PM

Compiz

Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> As for the cube, go into the CompizConfig Settings Manager (should be
> under "Settings" in the K-menu) and make sure Desktop cube and Rotate
> Cube are both enabled. The cube is based upon how many desktops you
> are currently running: i.e. I have two virtual desktops, so I have a
> rotating piece of paper (2 sides). Give that a shot and see if you
> can figure it out.

Well, both are checked and I have 4 desktops, but CTL-ALT arrow does
nothing...

stew

Stew Schneider 12-10-2007 09:16 PM

Compiz

Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> As for the cube, go into the CompizConfig Settings Manager (should be
> under "Settings" in the K-menu) and make sure Desktop cube and Rotate
> Cube are both enabled. The cube is based upon how many desktops you
> are currently running: i.e. I have two virtual desktops, so I have a
> rotating piece of paper (2 sides). Give that a shot and see if you
> can figure it out.
Turns out worse than that. I had no wobbly windows, no cube, no nothing.
I hit Alt-F2 and entered compiz --replace. That gave me a black screen,
followed by the login. Login was not possible, however, into kde or
gnome, and I actually had to reboot the machine from a virtual terminal.

Wow! Not good...works fine in Ubuntu

stew

David McGlone 12-11-2007 01:18 AM

Compiz

On Monday 10 December 2007 5:16:25 pm Stew Schneider wrote:
> Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> > As for the cube, go into the CompizConfig Settings Manager (should be
> > under "Settings" in the K-menu) and make sure Desktop cube and Rotate
> > Cube are both enabled. The cube is based upon how many desktops you
> > are currently running: i.e. I have two virtual desktops, so I have a
> > rotating piece of paper (2 sides). Give that a shot and see if you
> > can figure it out.
>
> Turns out worse than that. I had no wobbly windows, no cube, no nothing.
> I hit Alt-F2 and entered compiz --replace. That gave me a black screen,
> followed by the login. Login was not possible, however, into kde or
> gnome, and I actually had to reboot the machine from a virtual terminal.
>
> Wow! Not good...works fine in Ubuntu

Stew did you install emerald? I'm running compiz just fine on my kde box.

try installing emerald then alt-f2 compiz --replace emerald &

Also might want to check to see if 3d is enabled on your system.

--
David M.

David McGlone 12-11-2007 01:22 AM

Compiz

On Monday 10 December 2007 1:31:25 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> Stew Schneider spake thusly:
> > Also, how to get the cube going under KDE? I hafta go to Gnome to play
> > with it.
>
> I'm having exactly the same problem. All my desktop will do is this
> irritating flip, despite having it set to do the cube. But in GNOME it
> works fine.

kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects settings->click on general
options->desktop size (tab) and change horizontal virtual size from 2 to 4.

--
David M.

Stew Schneider 12-11-2007 02:08 AM

Compiz

David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007 1:31:25 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
>
>> I'm having exactly the same problem. All my desktop will do is this
>> irritating flip, despite having it set to do the cube. But in GNOME it
>> works fine.
>>

> kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects settings->click on general
> options->desktop size (tab) and change horizontal virtual size from 2 to 4.
Well, I have clearly farkled kde up to a fair-thee-well. Following
David's suggestion, I did, in fact, get the cube going in kde, but I
have no title bar on any window. Alt-F2 brings up a half-hearted dialog
into which I cannot type. Removing .kde and logging out/in did not
restore the window title bars. Whatever have I done??

stew