FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Compiz

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 02:05:38 Knapp wrote:
> > Ahh but Steven, I really appreciate your point of view.. but to me, as an
> > engineer, the simplicity of a finely-honed machine is more beautiful than
> > a gaudily decorated box of tricks
> >
> > Not that I don't like my machine to look good while it's doing its thing
> > though
> >
> > Just thought you might enjoy how an engineer looks at things
> >
> > Mark
>
> I have yet to meet an engineer that did not want a beautiful woman. A
> woman that always has twins and runs the house well, comes rich and
> does what you want is not enough, ignoring all chemical attachments
> that might addict you to something you don't view as beautiful and
> warp your perspective for the moment. (Other way round if you are into
> males.) Beauty is something people need to feel happy.
>
> I am not sure that exploding windows are beautiful however, perhaps novel.
>
>
> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Why do we live?

I guess I just can't see a reason to cause something to go away that is a
positive option for some of us. If enough people complain about the function
of something, sometimes that is enough to discourage the continuation of it.
And if it is simply a choice that you don't have to use. As a result, negative
talk is unnecessary. You don't have to use what you don't like. But if you
influence the removal of something you don't like that you just don't have to
use, you remove the pleasure that those of us who want it (even though we may
be in the minority).

If you did not have the choice whether to use it or not, I might vote for your
wishes, but to see something removed because some don't choose to use it,
seems unkind. To me, it is kind of like TV, if you don't like to watch the
news, you can shut the TV off or change channels, however, if you shut down
news programming, you remove pleasure from those who like the news, and
without a good reason, it helps no one and hurts others. Maybe I just don't
understand, I am not the brightest bulb on the tree, but if you saw the world
as I do, you would not want to eliminate anything that is considered
attractive or beautiful.

When I was a young man, I had a friend. She was terribly unattractive to me,
but I liked her as a person. After a short period of time, her inner beauty
changed my perception of her outer beauty, and she became physically very
beautiful to me. Our relationship was great. Apparently I saw her differently
than some others. After we became a couple, I did not have a lot of guys
trying to take her away from me, however if they had, I would have fought to
keep her. I can honestly say that the world would not be a better place if
she had never been. And the love I enjoyed with her would have been a tragic
loss to me. I still think of her and it has been 50 years.

Those people who make this wonderful Linux programming accessible to me have
my undying gratitude. I remember that the provider is someone who made the
application to suit his or her interests and then so kindly just gave it to
anyone who wanted it.

Everyone has the right to design and make a new widget or plasmoid that better
suits there own interest, but do they have to interfere with the dreams of
another, especially when given the choice to use or not use all of the
features. Additionally, I am permitted to take his work and change it to suit
my needs if I want. How much more freedom could I ask for.

I am not criticizing anyone with my comments. I am just a not too bright guy
who has loved anything art related all my life. I have sacrificed much to
protect my lifestyle, and whether someone sees the artwork on a monitor or
computer case as meaningless, it is just an item someone made that you don't
have to purchase.

Most of the people I know have greater appreciation for realistic art than
that that is abstract, and yet the last abstract work of Van Gogh sold for
hundreds of millions of dollars. To me, that is a lot of appreciation that
only cost the buyer, no one else.

I really love everyone who makes up this List, even those who don't agree with
me, and although I really don't feel worthy of opinion, because I contribute
so little, you seem to allow my views anyway.

Cudos, Cheers, and Cordially,
Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Compiz

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 14:50:42 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I have yet to meet an engineer that did not want a beautiful woman.
>
> I don't. My wife is beautiful but I really did not want a beautiful
> woman when I decided to start looking for a wife. I dated some girls
> that most men would be embarrassed to be seen with. I'm not afraid of
> competition from other men, but why make life difficult? And I met
> some amazing women, in fact, the ugliest of them is now somebody
> else's happy wife and I think that he's one of the luckiest guys out
> there (besides me!).

We are a lot alike, it is just that I don't really think any woman is not
beautiful, except the evil and corrupt ones. I see Nicole Kidman as an evil
woman. I realize many think her beautiful, however, I see something ugly. I
still watch a movie she is in from time to time, but I always see her as
unattractive. Australia is an example.
>
> My brand new Dell x50v got thrown in a case that I banged with a
> hammer, then spray painted matte black, so that it would not become
> bait for robbers. Same with my Dell Inspiron: rough black paint all
> over the brand new shiny laptop. You cannot even see the letters on
> the keys. Nobody will see that thing and then want to steal it.

If I wanted to, I could make mine pretty. I haven't seen anyone in my
studio/home but twice in the last year. I am kind of a shut in, and in a
community where friendship isn't much wanted.
>
> And yet, Compiz with wobbly windows on the desktop. I like that my
> desktop windows respond to being moved just like my real world papers
> respond to being moved. I like closing a window and seeing it burn in
> flames, just like I enjoy crumpling up the paper into the tightest
> ball that I can so that I can throw it. I like when atl-tabbing to see
> the windows flip by like objects, as opposed to flashing at me. Compiz
> makes the computer act much more similar to the real world.

Wow, me too. How I misread people. I have been thinking of you only as a
computer geek, and I mean that as a compliment. Many computer gurus seem to
complain about what they call glitzy features, but just that alt feature makes
compiz worthwhile to me, from a practical perspective. The Octacube is like
that. Because you multi-task 8 packages or pages, and by Alt dragging the
cube, look inside, click on the page you want and it instantly rotates to the
desired page. I also like fading in, exploding exits and wobbly windows.
They may not provide any functionality, but they look good.

Steven


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Default compiz

compiz - What are the minimum system requirements?

thx.
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Rave it
 
Default Compiz

Hi,
i've re-retired the compiz package.

There are some old user acl's for rawhide.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/compiz?_csrf_token=d92e6e7618be26b35f4fda2321a71f4 e540a37f9

user:

ajax
alexl
caillon
caolanm
davidz
hadess
hicham
johnp
jrb
mbarnes
mclasen
rhughes
rnorwood
rstrode
ssp
xiphmont

Are you really interest to keep your acl's for compiz?
Pls reply, otherwise i assume i can delete your rights.

regards,
Wolfgang

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Compiz

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:58 +0200, Rave it wrote:
> Hi,
> i've re-retired the compiz package.
>
> There are some old user acl's for rawhide.

[...]

> Are you really interest to keep your acl's for compiz?
> Pls reply, otherwise i assume i can delete your rights.
>

You can delete them all. They're leftovers.

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org