Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Compiz

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 12:04:31 pm Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
> kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
> evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
> really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
> Americans call 'eye candy'?
>
> I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
> and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point
> of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
> due out in April if I did decide to try it out?
>
> Just wondering
>
> Neil Winchurst

You really got into my area of interest, Neil. If I live to be 100, I will
never understand a computer like you and the other genious' on this List, but
I am having so much fun, working over my head while learning, I encourage you
to move up to Intrepid.

It has just been a couple of days since my first exposure, and I have already
formatted again, due to a problem with Compiz. Nonetheless, in those couple
of days, I have already found the benefit of the move.

I just love it. It is especially friendly to the mouse people. The new menu
is terrific. The way it deals with installations, as well as,
preconfigurations of hardware is great. And it is quite beautiful.

I had to do the terrible reinstallation, but it was me that caused that
problem, not Compiz. In fact, as soon as I can figure out how to make the
virtual desktops, ( I forget what they are called ), I am going to install
Jaunty and the one that follows that. I can already see my monitor replaced
by a hologram.

You are so smart that you over think some things. I think it is still Ok to
play, and I am 66 next month. This new stuff is just plain fun.

Steven

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Steven Vollom

> Just thought you might enjoy how an engineer looks at things
>
> Mark

I am laughing so hard I have tears. I love how you think. I see the beauty
in what you do. But it is balance and harmony magnified. All the little
parts have to fit in their place to work properly. Heat has to be considered
and space too, so the end result of your Logic brain is a work of art.

Eye candy is not practical to the logical, but to an artist it is essential.
If it were not important, why would a Ferrari look so good. Magnificance of
beauty and engineering.

The trouble is mine. It is extremely difficult for me to think in the logical
direction, so although the logical is accepted for utility, it is the beauty
of the work that an engineer does that excites me.

There is a beautiful building, I think in France, that is purple and white
glass. To me it is the most beautiful building yet built. It has some of
the characteristics of an American football in shape. And what a feat of
engineering.

You are more fortunate. By necessity, you have to create engineering projects
that are actually magnificent art. They are seen for their utility; but to
an artist they are beautiful. Because to fit in the space alotted, they have
to be carefully arranged, consider the flow of air, etc.

Sometime, just look at one of your creations with an absence of the utility of
the item, and you will see what I do. Beauty. You are a fortunate man.

Cordially,
Steven

Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Steven Vollom

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 4:13:57 pm Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> [...]

Me too, Paul.

Steven

Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Knapp

> Ahh but Steven, I really appreciate your point of view.. but to me, as an engineer, the simplicity of a finely-honed machine is more beautiful than a gaudily decorated box of tricks
>
> Not that I don't like my machine to look good while it's doing its thing though
>
> Just thought you might enjoy how an engineer looks at things
>
> Mark

I have yet to meet an engineer that did not want a beautiful woman. A
woman that always has twins and runs the house well, comes rich and
does what you want is not enough, ignoring all chemical attachments
that might addict you to something you don't view as beautiful and
warp your perspective for the moment. (Other way round if you are into
males.) Beauty is something people need to feel happy.

I am not sure that exploding windows are beautiful however, perhaps novel.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Hans Henry von Tresckow

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ahh but Steven, I really appreciate your point of view.. but to me, as an engineer, the simplicity of a finely-honed machine is more beautiful than a gaudily decorated box of tricks
>>
>> Not that I don't like my machine to look good while it's doing its thing though
>>
>> Just thought you might enjoy how an engineer looks at things
>>
>> Mark
>
> I have yet to meet an engineer that did not want a beautiful woman. A
> woman that always has twins and runs the house well, comes rich and
> does what you want is not enough, ignoring all chemical attachments
> that might addict you to something you don't view as beautiful and
> warp your perspective for the moment. (Other way round if you are into
> males.) Beauty is something people need to feel happy.
>
> I am not sure that exploding windows are beautiful however, perhaps novel.

Actually, explosions viewed at 5000+ FPS are quite beautiful

> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Why do we live?

Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)
Emo Philips - "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend."

Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 15:15:57 Hans Henry von Tresckow wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am not sure that exploding windows are beautiful however, perhaps novel.

Oh I disagree, watching Windows(TM) explode is always fun

Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
> kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
> evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
> really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
> Americans call 'eye candy'?

I use the Enhanced Zoom and Negative accessibility options, so for me
compiz is not eye candy.

> I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
> and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point
> of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
> due out in April if I did decide to try it out?

I have been using compiz or beryl sucessfully since Fiesty on ATI
hardware, and I am using it now in Hardy. It's stable.
--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I have yet to meet an engineer that did not want a beautiful woman.

I don't. My wife is beautiful but I really did not want a beautiful
woman when I decided to start looking for a wife. I dated some girls
that most men would be embarrased to be seen with. I'm not afraid of
competition from other men, but why make life difficult? And I met
some amazing women, in fact, the ugliest of them is now somebody
else's happy wife and I think that he's one of the luckiest guys out
there (besides me!).

My brand new Dell x50v got thrown in a case that I banged with a
hammer, then spray painted matte black, so that it would not become
bait for robbers. Same with my Dell Inspiron: rough black paint all
over the brand new shiny laptop. You cannot even see the letters on
the keys. Nobody will see that thing and then want to steal it.

And yet, Compiz with wobbly windows on the desktop. I like that my
desktop windows respond to being moved just like my real world papers
respond to being moved. I like closing a window and seing it burn in
flames, just like I enjoy crumpling up the paper into the tightest
ball that I can so that I can throw it. I like when atl-tabbing to see
the windows flip by like objects, as opposed to flashing at me. Compiz
makes the computer act much more similar to the real world.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Dotan Cohen said the following at 02/18/2009 12:50 PM :

> And yet, Compiz with wobbly windows on the desktop. I like that my
> desktop windows respond to being moved just like my real world papers
> respond to being moved. I like closing a window and seing it burn in
> flames, just like I enjoy crumpling up the paper into the tightest
> ball that I can so that I can throw it. I like when atl-tabbing to see
> the windows flip by like objects, as opposed to flashing at me. Compiz
> makes the computer act much more similar to the real world.

You remember that flickering problem with video that we discussed not long ago?

Turns out that there's a bug in the ATI driver. Turn off all the whiz-bang
effects, and you can watch video without that terrible flickering.

I'm hoping that in jaunty we'll be able to have our cake and eat it. But in
intrepid you have to choose one or the other. (But since it's easy to turn
compiz on/off, and one generally isn't doing much window management while
watching a video, the workaround isn't too, too bad.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Dotan Cohen

> You remember that flickering problem with video that we discussed not long ago?

Yes, she is still suffering from it!

> Turns out that there's a bug in the ATI driver. Turn off all the whiz-bang
> effects, and you can watch video without that terrible flickering.

Different machine!

> I'm hoping that in jaunty we'll be able to have our cake and eat it. But in
> intrepid you have to choose one or the other. (But since it's easy to turn
> compiz on/off, and one generally isn't doing much window management while
> watching a video, the workaround isn't too, too bad.)

Give it a shot and file bugs. I tried to, but it won't install on my
hardware. I have opened a bug on that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com