Old 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
"David Fox"

Default Compiz

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, 310MB, this is what "top" command shows. Not sure, if the "Top" reports
> wrong number.

Mine is 293m virtual, 28 meg real. Not very much. The 293 (or 310 megs
you see) is the maximum request size for the process, not the amount
that the application or process is actually using.

If you are running the latest kubuntu desktop, it uses KDE4, and KDE4
has some rendering capabilities built in, and you might try using
those in place of compiz.

Over here, compiz is not using any cpu either - only if you use the
swticher or other components does it kick in.

And usually the VIRT that top/ps report is inflated, more so for 64
bit processes than 32 bit ones as I recall from running 32 bit systems
(have been using amd64 since May). For instance, top tells me that
firefox wants over a gig of RAM right now per the VIRT size. The
Resident size is much more realistic, unless of course, some pages
have been swapped out.

A better explanation is probably located here.

http://www.linuxforums.org/misc/using_top_more_efficiently_3.html

From that page we see that VIRT is the virtual size of the task, which
includes the executable size of the binary (and binaries are never all
loaded in at once, but pages of them are requested as needed), along
with swapped pages, and shared libraries (which are shared usually
with other binaries on the system, so that's an inflated figure
anyway). And it includes data pages (which can be swapped out), and
that's going to be bigger for 64 bit systems, simply because 'int' is
8 bytes.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 20:33 +0530, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> It seems that he uses too much memory (310M) and CPU time.

A warning: interpreting RAM usage from top output and similar is not
trivial at all. These 310 MB most likely include all the RAM on your
graphics card.

As far as CPU time goes, compiz tends to reduce it, as more work is done
on the graphics card.

But if you want to deactivate it, others in the thread gave the
instructions.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Neil Winchurst

Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
Americans call 'eye candy'?

I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point
of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
due out in April if I did decide to try it out?

Just wondering

Neil Winchurst

Old 02-17-2009, 05:28 PM
"Ulrich Grn"

Am Dienstag, 17. Februar 2009 18:04:31 schrieb Neil Winchurst:

> Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and

> kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming

> evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there

> really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the

> Americans call 'eye candy'?

Yes, the latter.

I tried Compiz a few month, and apart from its looks, it's worthless (if you ask me).

It could probably be used to impress MS-Vista users, though.

KDE 4.2 is pretty eye candy too, but more useful in my opinion.

--

Love and Light,

Ulrich

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

" Can't talk to you without talking to me; we're guilty of the same old thing.

Thinking a lot about less and less, and forgetting the love we bring "

[Grateful Dead, in: 'Althea']

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

OS: Kubuntu 8.10 (Linux) de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/Philosophie.html

Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 17:04:31 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
> kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
> evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
> really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
> Americans call 'eye candy'?
>
> I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
> and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point
> of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
> due out in April if I did decide to try it out?
>
> Just wondering
>
> Neil Winchurst

It does have some useful features - being able to 'zoom out' so all windows (and indeed all desktops) are visible is something I used a lot. Then it has a lot of features which seem as though they ought to be useful but turn out not to be (like group and tab windows) and then it has a whole load of stuff that really is just eye candy and, for me at least, becomes annoying after a while. I'm now using KDE 4.2 and am using the equivalent useful features there. I don't miss Compiz, although it was good for showing off for a while

Mark

Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Paul Rumelhart

Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
Americans call 'eye candy'?

I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point

of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
due out in April if I did decide to try it out?

Just wondering

Neil Winchurst

There are some useful features.* I like having eight sides to my "cube", and being able to zoom out, rotate them around, and easily find the desktop I'm looking for.* You can set it up so that you can hold down the alt key, put the cursor over a window, and move the mouse wheel to make the window more or less transparent so that you can see what's behind it.* You can also set it up so that when you put the mouse over a window icon on your taskbar and see what that window is showing in a little popup in realtime.* It's also nice because a window that is not responding goes a little dark, so that you can visually tell when it is responding again.* I've also got mine setup so I can see through my background and can watch windows on other
desktops.* This is handy for knowing when the stupid VM you've told to shutdown finally closes.

Other than that, it's just eye candy.* However, I like the eye candy.* I like the wobbly windows when moving them around, I like the open, close, minimize, and maximize animations I use.* I like emerald, and I like watching the cube turn when I move the mouse wheel over the background.* It doesn't seem to slow anything down - movies I play appear to be just as fast.* So why not enjoy it?

Paul

Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Steven Vollom

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 1:57:47 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 17:04:31 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
> > kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
> > evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
> > really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
> > Americans call 'eye candy'?
> >
> > I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
> > and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point
> > of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
> > due out in April if I did decide to try it out?
> >
> > Just wondering
> >
> > Neil Winchurst
>
> It does have some useful features - being able to 'zoom out' so all windows
> (and indeed all desktops) are visible is something I used a lot. Then it
> has a lot of features which seem as though they ought to be useful but turn
> out not to be (like group and tab windows) and then it has a whole load of
> stuff that really is just eye candy and, for me at least, becomes annoying
> after a while. I'm now using KDE 4.2 and am using the equivalent useful
> features there. I don't miss Compiz, although it was good for showing off
> for a while
>
> Mark

Guys,

I am a fine-artist, that is just an identifer, not a judgment. I have
dedicated 60 years of my life to art. As for professions it is the most
important in my thinking. At least to me. Eye candy is an understandable
term, but to an artist, it is the value of their life.

If you can during your life, go to the grand canyon here in the US. Standing
on the rim, you will then think it should always be spelled the GRAND CANYON,
beauty beyond description.

Everything that is beautiful is a good thing. Harmony, balance, things like
that are the terms of beauty. It doesn't take much to see it's value over
the residue of a hurricane and things like.

To me, Kubuntu already is, but Compiz is just a little bit of a great sunset
in an industrial neighborhood. Shoot, if I had charge, you would paint works
of art on the case and decorate the rim of the monitor. I would sculpt the
mouse. I mean no criticism to other views, I just thought you might enjoy
how an artist thinks about things.

Steven

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Steven Vollom

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 12:04:31 pm Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
> kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
> evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
> really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
> Americans call 'eye candy'?
>
> I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
> and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point
> of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
> due out in April if I did decide to try it out?
>
> Just wondering
>
> Neil Winchurst

I responded once to this,but I forgot something. The octacube, as I probably
mis-name, is one of the great advantages that I see the utility in. Just by
dragging the mouse you can view all the pages of an 8 time multitask. If you
multitask a lot, that is worth the whole program to me. I would really like
to use the terminal to do the work, but that feature is rapid movement from
task to task with a simple drag and click. With my old man memory that is
the difference between continuing a project or struggling to find where you
were last.

Steven

Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 21:19:50 Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 1:57:47 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2009 17:04:31 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > > Today I had a look at a few videos on the internet about compiz and
> > > kubuntu. Well, I agree that there is some very clever programming
> > > evident and it all looks quite pretty, but apart from all that, is there
> > > really any advantage to it? Or is it just an example of what the
> > > Americans call 'eye candy'?
> > >
> > > I use Hardy Heron so I suspect it would be a bit tricky to install it
> > > and get it running properly anyway. At the moment I can't see the point
> > > of bothering. Would it be better to wait for the new version of Kubuntu
> > > due out in April if I did decide to try it out?
> > >
> > > Just wondering
> > >
> > > Neil Winchurst
> >
> > It does have some useful features - being able to 'zoom out' so all windows
> > (and indeed all desktops) are visible is something I used a lot. Then it
> > has a lot of features which seem as though they ought to be useful but turn
> > out not to be (like group and tab windows) and then it has a whole load of
> > stuff that really is just eye candy and, for me at least, becomes annoying
> > after a while. I'm now using KDE 4.2 and am using the equivalent useful
> > features there. I don't miss Compiz, although it was good for showing off
> > for a while
> >
> > Mark
>
> Guys,
>
> I am a fine-artist, that is just an identifer, not a judgment. I have
> dedicated 60 years of my life to art. As for professions it is the most
> important in my thinking. At least to me. Eye candy is an understandable
> term, but to an artist, it is the value of their life.
>
> If you can during your life, go to the grand canyon here in the US. Standing
> on the rim, you will then think it should always be spelled the GRAND CANYON,
> beauty beyond description.
>
> Everything that is beautiful is a good thing. Harmony, balance, things like
> that are the terms of beauty. It doesn't take much to see it's value over
> the residue of a hurricane and things like.
>
> To me, Kubuntu already is, but Compiz is just a little bit of a great sunset
> in an industrial neighborhood. Shoot, if I had charge, you would paint works
> of art on the case and decorate the rim of the monitor. I would sculpt the
> mouse. I mean no criticism to other views, I just thought you might enjoy
> how an artist thinks about things.
>
> Steven

Ahh but Steven, I really appreciate your point of view.. but to me, as an engineer, the simplicity of a finely-honed machine is more beautiful than a gaudily decorated box of tricks

Not that I don't like my machine to look good while it's doing its thing though

Just thought you might enjoy how an engineer looks at things

Mark