Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
David McGlone

Default Compiz

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 5:45:48 pm Stew Schneider wrote:
> lanzen wrote:
> > Anyway I got it working in a few minutes. There's a weird thing, though:
> > I can't move me windows! I can re-size them, open them, close them,
> > minimise them, maximise them... the all lo except they they won't move!
> > Glued, stuck and nailed to the desktop!
> >
> > I've looked around to no avail. I'm pretty sure this wasn't happening a
> > couple of months ago. What am I missing? Any hints?
>
> Same here. They're nailed tight to the desktop. Of course, with no title
> bars, I couldn't move them anyway, but the one time I HAD a title bar,
> the window wouldn't move.

Stew, First you need to check the checkbox beside "window decoration" to get
the title bars, if that doesn't work, then you haven't installed emerald. And
then to get the nails out of the windows get a hammer and just smash your
monitor. Just kidding. Follow the instructions I replied to lanzen with. Hope
that helps.

--
David M.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 PM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 5:41:03 pm Stew Schneider wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> >> I've REALLY messed up KDE
> >
> > Nah. try opening kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects
> > settings->scroll down to "Effects" and put a checkmark beside "Window
> > Decoration"
>
> Well, the good news is that when I checked "Window Decoration" the FF
> window I had open sure enough grew a title bar. The bad news is that I
> could not move the window with the mouse by grabbing the title bar with
> a left click. The worse news is that when I closed it and reopened it,
> it had no title bar, and neither does anything else.
>
> I dunno...I've been on the dark side to play with the cube. It's not so
> bad over in Gnome land...the natives are a little wonky, but..the cube
> works...

Ok Cool, almost there. Just hit ctrl + alt + f2 and type: emerald.

don't type the "&" or anything else, just emerald.

Now for the windows being nailed to the wall look for "move window" in your
compiz settings.

afterwards compiz should start correctly everytime.

--
David M.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Stew Schneider

David McGlone wrote:
> Ok Cool, almost there. Just hit ctrl + alt + f2 and type: emerald.
>
> don't type the "&" or anything else, just emerald.
>
> Now for the windows being nailed to the wall look for "move window" in your
> compiz settings.
>
> afterwards compiz should start correctly everytime.

OY! Got it! Now...I need to turn everything that's green blue, and
reverse the screen, and...and...

Many, many thanks!

stew

Old 12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
lanzen

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 01:27:51 David McGlone wrote:

> Settings->advance desktop effects settings->under heading "Window
> Management" check "move window" and "place windows" (the latter being a
> personal preference)

Yeah, right, thank you David. It must be my long gone youth or my linux
toddler state - both? :-D - but I always feel like going through a maze when
I'm trying to find my way in ccsm.

--
lanzen

Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 AM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 9:44:06 am lanzen wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 01:27:51 David McGlone wrote:
> > Settings->advance desktop effects settings->under heading "Window
> > Management" check "move window" and "place windows" (the latter being a
> > personal preference)
>
> Yeah, right, thank you David. It must be my long gone youth or my linux
> toddler state - both? :-D - but I always feel like going through a maze
> when I'm trying to find my way in ccsm.

No problem. If by any chance compiz acts all crazy on you, it might be because
you are using compiz-gnome. I had the same problem until I switched to
compiz-kde and removed compiz-gnome.

Anyway, I hope it works well for you, and don't hesitated to ask if you need
help.

--
David M.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM
lanzen

On Thursday 13 December 2007 03:42:24 David McGlone wrote:

> If by any chance compiz acts all crazy on you, it might be
> because you are using compiz-gnome. I had the same problem until I switched
> to compiz-kde and removed compiz-gnome.

You were right. I had compiz-gnome and libcompizconfig-backend-gconf besides
compiz-kde and libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig. I removed these last two
files and I'll see if there's any betterment though I suppose that having
both probably make kde choose the right ones. Could this be?

> Anyway, I hope it works well for you, and don't hesitated to ask if you
> need help.

Thank you, here I am taking immediate advantage of your kindness.

On plain kde menus have a nice 3D-ish shadow on right and bottom side, but
when compiz (beryl had the same) is enabled, menus have a not so nice kind of
transparent ghost image separating them from the main window. This is already
visible in Kmenu. Do we all get this? I mean; bug, feature wrong config?

--
lanzen

Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2007/12/13, lanzen <lanzenesi@gmail.com>:
Thank you, here I am taking immediate advantage of your kindness.

On plain kde menus have a nice 3D-ish shadow on right and bottom side, but
when compiz (beryl had the same) is enabled, menus have a not so nice kind of

transparent ghost image separating them from the main window. This is already
visible in Kmenu. Do we all get this? I mean; bug, feature wrong config?

--
lanzen

I think it's the KDE effects. You can deactivate them in the Controlpannel.

/ Jonas

Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 AM
lanzen

On Thursday 13 December 2007 23:26:37 Jonas Norlander wrote:

> I think it's the KDE effects. You can deactivate them in the Controlpannel.

Oh yes, of course, that did it. Great!

Thank you Jonas.

--
lanzen

Old 12-14-2007, 02:47 PM
lanzen

Just to add my previous post, as I said menus are fixed bar adept that keeps
showing the ghost image.

Anyway, much better now thanks to the advice I got here.

There are still a couple of other things like the pager not working at its
best and the odd application that gets kicked out from the panel. I suppose
many if not all of us have these, don't we?

--
lanzen

Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 AM
David McGlone

On Friday 14 December 2007 10:47:04 am lanzen wrote:
> Just to add my previous post, as I said menus are fixed bar adept that
> keeps showing the ghost image.
>
> Anyway, much better now thanks to the advice I got here.
>
> There are still a couple of other things like the pager not working at its
> best and the odd application that gets kicked out from the panel. I suppose
> many if not all of us have these, don't we?

If I understand you correctly, In your pager config you need to reduce the #
of desktops down to 1.

--
David M.