Old 12-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Girard Henri

Default Compiz

sorry for that... But you come back to kwin --replace &
in alt +f2 and you come back to your original configuration
that's why i do it myself and not in automatic way
Are you sure your configuration is working with compiz ?
your video card ?
for example with nvidia gf5200 on kubuntu 32 bits works fine
but I still can't use it with ATI xpress1200 on kubuntu 64 bits ...
i tried envy and messed my installation
I don't only use kubuntu... But for the 64 bits it's the only working
dist... Acer has special devices not yet properly detected on suse and
mandriva 64 bits... Well i haven't found yet.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 PM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 11:52:22 am Stew Schneider wrote:
> Girard Henri wrote:
> > all in alt+f2 :
> >
> > compiz --replace &
> > if no border
> > kde-window-decorator --replace &
> > and using emerald
> > emerald --replace &
>
> compiz --replace & blanked the screen for 7-8 seconds, then resumed
> kde-window-decorator --replace & refused to execute
> emerald --replace & refused to execute.
>
> I've REALLY messed up KDE

Nah. try opening kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects settings->scroll
down to "Effects" and put a checkmark beside "Window Decoration"

--
David M.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Donn

> I don't understand (I've been silently following this thread :-) ) -- icons
> don't have title bars, so how can one "Right click the title-bar"?
That should be right click, bar the title

Old 12-11-2007, 05:25 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Donn said the following at 12/11/2007 10:55 AM :
>> I don't understand (I've been silently following this thread :-) ) -- icons
>> don't have title bars, so how can one "Right click the title-bar"?
> That should be right click, bar the title

Well, I still don't understand: "bar the title" means nothing to me :-(

I just created an icon and right clicked on it. I get a menu that says:
Open
Cut
Copy
Rename
Move to Trash
Open With...
Actions
Copy To
Move To
Properties
along with several sub-menus

None of that lot (including the sub-menus) seems to say anything about
making the icon available on only one desktop.

Maybe I should go back to being silent, because presumably the original
poster understood what he was supposed to do, since he hasn't said otherwise.

Doc

Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 PM
lanzen

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 03:18:40 David McGlone wrote:

> > Wow! Not good...works fine in Ubuntu
>
> Stew did you install emerald? I'm running compiz just fine on my kde box.
>
> try installing emerald then alt-f2 compiz --replace emerald &
>
> Also might want to check to see if 3d is enabled on your system.

Right, you've all stung my curiosity. I did try it when gutsy came out, but I
wasn't impressed. I thought beryl and feisty got along together much better
and yes compiz does work better in ubuntu.

Anyway I got it working in a few minutes. There's a weird thing, though: I
can't move me windows! I can re-size them, open them, close them, minimise
them, maximise them... the all lo except they they won't move! Glued, stuck
and nailed to the desktop!

I've looked around to no avail. I'm pretty sure this wasn't happening a couple
of months ago. What am I missing? Any hints?

--
lanzen

Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Donn

> > That should be right click, bar the title
> Well, I still don't understand: "bar the title" means nothing to me :-(
It was a dumb joke - as in everything bar the title. i.e. you can right click
on everything ba... I'm bored now

Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Stew Schneider

David McGlone wrote:
>> I've REALLY messed up KDE
>>

> Nah. try opening kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects settings->scroll
> down to "Effects" and put a checkmark beside "Window Decoration"
Well, the good news is that when I checked "Window Decoration" the FF
window I had open sure enough grew a title bar. The bad news is that I
could not move the window with the mouse by grabbing the title bar with
a left click. The worse news is that when I closed it and reopened it,
it had no title bar, and neither does anything else.

I dunno...I've been on the dark side to play with the cube. It's not so
bad over in Gnome land...the natives are a little wonky, but..the cube
works...

stew

Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Stew Schneider

D. R. Evans wrote:
> None of that lot (including the sub-menus) seems to say anything about
> making the icon available on only one desktop.
>
> Maybe I should go back to being silent, because presumably the original
> poster understood what he was supposed to do, since he hasn't said otherwise.

Opie here. I guarantee I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I just
killed KDE.

stew
(OP)

Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Stew Schneider

lanzen wrote:
> Anyway I got it working in a few minutes. There's a weird thing, though: I
> can't move me windows! I can re-size them, open them, close them, minimise
> them, maximise them... the all lo except they they won't move! Glued, stuck
> and nailed to the desktop!
>
> I've looked around to no avail. I'm pretty sure this wasn't happening a couple
> of months ago. What am I missing? Any hints?

Same here. They're nailed tight to the desktop. Of course, with no title
bars, I couldn't move them anyway, but the one time I HAD a title bar,
the window wouldn't move.

stew

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 2:29:49 pm lanzen wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007 03:18:40 David McGlone wrote:
> > > Wow! Not good...works fine in Ubuntu
> >
> > Stew did you install emerald? I'm running compiz just fine on my kde box.
> >
> > try installing emerald then alt-f2 compiz --replace emerald &
> >
> > Also might want to check to see if 3d is enabled on your system.
>
> Right, you've all stung my curiosity. I did try it when gutsy came out, but
> I wasn't impressed. I thought beryl and feisty got along together much
> better and yes compiz does work better in ubuntu.
>
> Anyway I got it working in a few minutes. There's a weird thing, though: I
> can't move me windows! I can re-size them, open them, close them, minimise
> them, maximise them... the all lo except they they won't move! Glued, stuck
> and nailed to the desktop!
>
> I've looked around to no avail. I'm pretty sure this wasn't happening a
> couple of months ago. What am I missing? Any hints?

Settings->advance desktop effects settings->under heading "Window Management"
check "move window" and "place windows" (the latter being a personal
preference)

--
David M.