Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 AM
David McGlone

Default Compiz

On Monday 10 December 2007 10:08:21 pm Stew Schneider wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > On Monday 10 December 2007 1:31:25 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> >> I'm having exactly the same problem. All my desktop will do is this
> >> irritating flip, despite having it set to do the cube. But in GNOME it
> >> works fine.
> >
> > kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects settings->click on general
> > options->desktop size (tab) and change horizontal virtual size from 2 to
> > 4.
>
> Well, I have clearly farkled kde up to a fair-thee-well. Following
> David's suggestion, I did, in fact, get the cube going in kde, but I
> have no title bar on any window. Alt-F2 brings up a half-hearted dialog
> into which I cannot type. Removing .kde and logging out/in did not
> restore the window title bars. Whatever have I done??

alt+f2 and type emerald

--
David M.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Stew Schneider

David McGlone wrote:
>> Well, I have clearly farkled kde up to a fair-thee-well. Following
>> David's suggestion, I did, in fact, get the cube going in kde, but I
>> have no title bar on any window. Alt-F2 brings up a half-hearted dialog
>> into which I cannot type. Removing .kde and logging out/in did not
>> restore the window title bars. Whatever have I done??
>>

> alt+f2 and type emerald
KDE comes up, but within a few seconds, the screen blacks. It stays
black for 7-8 seconds, then KDE is restored. Typing emerald in the run
dialog generates an error (cannot execute command). Typing compiz
--replace emerald & runs but the windows still lack title bars. I cannot
close or move a window, although the keyboard and mouse seem to work.

stew

Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Monday 10 December 2007 08:22:59 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007 1:31:25 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> > Stew Schneider spake thusly:
> > > Also, how to get the cube going under KDE? I hafta go to Gnome to play
> > > with it.
> >
> > I'm having exactly the same problem. All my desktop will do is this
> > irritating flip, despite having it set to do the cube. But in GNOME it
> > works fine.
>
> kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects settings->click on general
> options->desktop size (tab) and change horizontal virtual size from 2 to 4.
>
> --
> David M.

I click on kmenu->Settings-> no advanced desktop effects settings.

What needs to be installed to make that happen?

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Donn

> I asked this a while back because while I don't use "The Cube" I use
> one of my desktops exclusively for VirtualBox and didn't want the
> Virtual Box icon on any of my other desktops, but we were unable to
> figure out how to make it appear on one desktop only.

I don't know about compiz, but normal kwin let's you do this and lots of other
fancy tricks too.

Right click the title-bar -> Advanced -> Special Application Settings ->
Geometry -> tick the Desktop option -> choose Force -> Choose a desktop.

I hope that works!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Girard Henri

On kubuntu hardy now but same on gutsy wtih an old nvidia gforce 5200
compiz fusion works fine. It wasn't installed at boot like it is said
but after few adjustment I got it running.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Girard Henri

all in alt+f2 :

compiz --replace &
if no border
kde-window-decorator --replace &
and using emerald
emerald --replace &

Old 12-11-2007, 09:17 AM
David McGlone

On Monday 10 December 2007 11:05:26 pm Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007 08:22:59 pm David McGlone wrote:
> > On Monday 10 December 2007 1:31:25 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> > > Stew Schneider spake thusly:
> > >
> > > I'm having exactly the same problem. All my desktop will do is this
> > > irritating flip, despite having it set to do the cube. But in GNOME it
> > > works fine.
> >
> > kmenu->settings->advanced desktop effects settings->click on general
> > options->desktop size (tab) and change horizontal virtual size from 2 to
> > 4.
> >
> > --
> > David M.
>
> I click on kmenu->Settings-> no advanced desktop effects settings.
>
> What needs to be installed to make that happen?

Emerald.

--
David M.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Stew Schneider

Girard Henri wrote:
> all in alt+f2 :
>
> compiz --replace &
> if no border
> kde-window-decorator --replace &
> and using emerald
> emerald --replace &

compiz --replace & blanked the screen for 7-8 seconds, then resumed
kde-window-decorator --replace & refused to execute
emerald --replace & refused to execute.

I've REALLY messed up KDE

stew

Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Girard Henri

Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Donn said the following at 12/10/2007 09:25 PM :
>> I asked this a while back because while I don't use "The Cube" I use
>> one of my desktops exclusively for VirtualBox and didn't want the
>> Virtual Box icon on any of my other desktops, but we were unable to
>> figure out how to make it appear on one desktop only.
>
> I don't know about compiz, but normal kwin let's you do this and lots of other
> fancy tricks too.
>
> Right click the title-bar -> Advanced -> Special Application Settings ->
> Geometry -> tick the Desktop option -> choose Force -> Choose a desktop.
>
> I hope that works!

I don't understand (I've been silently following this thread :-) ) -- icons
don't have title bars, so how can one "Right click the title-bar"?

Doc