Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Art Alexion

Default Konqueror the ultimate Linux tool or cool things you can do with it

On Saturday 16 August 2008 04:59:20 Jussi Schultink wrote:
> apt:/

Is there a bug with this or is it me? On a computer with a
feisty->gutsy->hardy upgrade history, the newest package source options I get
from the drop-down is gutsy. No hardy available in the drop-down.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Art Alexion

On Saturday 16 August 2008 14:42:41 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kio-apt/+bug/223957
> it's already filed as a bug, and someone posted a package that fixes it,
> i'm about to try it.

I installed the package. it "fixes" it in the sense that hardy now appears as
a choice, but no matter what search term you enter in the field, it uses the
word "search" as the search.

What are the steps for "downgrading" from this package? I guess it is useless
either way, but I am concerned whether this patch breaks anyting else.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Art Alexion

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 11:16:01 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/16 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> > See Konqueror / Settings / Configure Konqueror / Web Shortcuts for a list
> > of available "protocols" available in Konqueror. *iirc, though I confess
> > to mostly accepting it as magic, not all of these are actually kio
> > slaves. The kio slaves are (like fish: and sftp are available from
> > _all_ KDE programs (I love opening remote files from kate - "kate
> > sftp://domain/filename").
>
> Have you seen Kate's built-in file manager? I browse a dozen remote
> servers as if they were local either in Konqi or right there in Kate!
> I actually considered naming my daughter after that program!

Yeah, from my perspective, kio and konqueror are the best reasons to use KDE
(along with Kontact, K3B and Amarok). Gnome is "good enough" otherwise.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Art Alexion

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 12:52:12 pm Knapp wrote:
> Just me, but I hate having that mac look with the bar on top tooo.,,

Right click KDE desktop. Choose Configure Desktop... Behavior section.
General tab. Section in the middle, "Menu bar at top of screen" Lots o'
choices.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Derek Broughton

Art Alexion wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 12:52:12 pm Knapp wrote:
>> Just me, but I hate having that mac look with the bar on top tooo.,,
>
> Right click KDE desktop. Choose Configure Desktop... Behavior section.
> General tab. Section in the middle, "Menu bar at top of screen" Lots o'
> choices.

For quite some time now I've had that "Windows" look on the top of the
screen. Since I spend a fair amount of time either in a VirtualBox XP
session or rdp'd to a Windows Server, which always have their "kicker"
panels at the bottom, I just found it was so much simpler to stick the KDE
kicker panel at the top.
--
derek