-   -   "Remote login" option at login screen (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/143969-remote-login-option-login-screen.html)

"D. R. Evans" 08-16-2008 04:38 PM

"Remote login" option at login screen

So, since it's raining here (and since I'm feeling adventurous after my
near-disaster earlier this morning), I'm playing around with trying to get
some things working that I've not tried before.

I just spent the last hour or so on something, and am getting nowhere, even
after googling.

In the login screen (which I think I understand as being provided by
something called kdm, which is a replacement for xdm), there is an option
on the drop-down menu to perform a "Remote Login".

As I understand it, this is supposed to allow me to get a KDE desktop on a
remote machine.

Does anyone know, though, exactly what steps one needs to go through in
order to get this to work?

I've been trying to get this configured so that I can remote login via this
method to my laptop (running Kubuntu 8.04). But all that ever happens is
that I get the grey X screen with the "x" in the center.

I can't find a nice simple howto anywhere. Instead all I can find is a
bunch of quasi-random pages talking about this kind of thing, and I think
I've tried everything that those pages talk about.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

"D. R. Evans" 08-16-2008 04:58 PM

D. R. Evans said the following at 08/16/2008 10:38 AM :

> In the login screen (which I think I understand as being provided by
> something called kdm, which is a replacement for xdm), there is an option
> on the drop-down menu to perform a "Remote Login".
>
> As I understand it, this is supposed to allow me to get a KDE desktop on a
> remote machine.
>
> Does anyone know, though, exactly what steps one needs to go through in
> order to get this to work?

Turns out that it's not enough to just restart the X server on the
destination machine. For some reason one needs to reboot.

Once one does that, one can remotely log in.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

"John Pierce" 08-16-2008 05:22 PM

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:58 AM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 08/16/2008 10:38 AM :
>

>> In the login screen (which I think I understand as being provided by
>> something called kdm, which is a replacement for xdm), there is an option
>> on the drop-down menu to perform a "Remote Login".
>>
>> As I understand it, this is supposed to allow me to get a KDE desktop on a
>> remote machine.
>>
>> Does anyone know, though, exactly what steps one needs to go through in
>> order to get this to work?
>
> Turns out that it's not enough to just restart the X server on the
> destination machine. For some reason one needs to reboot.
>
> Once one does that, one can remotely log in.
>
> Doc

Check out these two pages, because there is some setup to be done on
the remote machine
before you can do it. I just went through this myself so if something
is not working just right
I will try to help.

John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

Derek Broughton 08-16-2008 07:26 PM

D. R. Evans wrote:

> D. R. Evans said the following at 08/16/2008 10:38 AM :
>

>> In the login screen (which I think I understand as being provided by
>> something called kdm, which is a replacement for xdm), there is an option
>> on the drop-down menu to perform a "Remote Login".
>>
>> As I understand it, this is supposed to allow me to get a KDE desktop on
>> a remote machine.
>>
>> Does anyone know, though, exactly what steps one needs to go through in
>> order to get this to work?
>
> Turns out that it's not enough to just restart the X server on the
> destination machine. For some reason one needs to reboot.
>
> Once one does that, one can remotely log in.

That's a new one on me. I suspect "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart" would have
done the job.
--
derek

"D. R. Evans" 08-16-2008 11:02 PM

Derek Broughton said the following at 08/16/2008 01:26 PM :

>> Turns out that it's not enough to just restart the X server on the
>> destination machine. For some reason one needs to reboot.
>>
>> Once one does that, one can remotely log in.
>
> That's a new one on me. I suspect "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart" would have
> done the job.

You're almost certainly right.

"You need to reboot" (or words to that effect) is my shorthand for "Yes, I
know I don't really need to reboot, and if I knew which daemon(s) to stop
and restart then feature X would work, but since I haven't got the foggiest
idea which daemon(s) are the magic ones for feature X, then I've rebooted
instead, and now it works".

:-)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Derek Broughton 08-17-2008 02:30 PM

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Derek Broughton said the following at 08/16/2008 01:26 PM :
>
>>> Turns out that it's not enough to just restart the X server on the
>>> destination machine. For some reason one needs to reboot.
>>>
>>> Once one does that, one can remotely log in.
>>
>> That's a new one on me. I suspect "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart" would
>> have done the job.
>
> You're almost certainly right.
>
> "You need to reboot" (or words to that effect) is my shorthand for "Yes, I
> know I don't really need to reboot, and if I knew which daemon(s) to stop
> and restart then feature X would work, but since I haven't got the
> foggiest idea which daemon(s) are the magic ones for feature X, then I've
> rebooted instead, and now it works".

I hear you. I hate to reboot if I can avoid it, just because I like to know
what it really is I'm changing. But once in a while it's easier, and
sometimes I just can't figure out the "minimal" solution (particularly if
it's dbus related).
--
derek