Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
"Alan Dacey (grokit)"

Default Where are the scripts that launch apps on startup?

I've just switched email from Kmail to Thunderbird. Kontact still
launches when I boot and I want to replace it with Thunderbird. I have
looked on the forums, in rutebook, and google but I cannot find anything
on where these scripts live. I have a feeling I am using the wrong
search words. I have nothing about them in ~/.kde/Autostart Anyway,
can somebody point me in right direction? Using Hardy & KDE 3.5

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated concept.
If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in life and actually grok it."

Old 08-16-2008, 03:21 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Alan Dacey (grokit) wrote:
> I've just switched email from Kmail to Thunderbird. Kontact still
> launches when I boot and I want to replace it with Thunderbird. I have
> looked on the forums, in rutebook, and google but I cannot find anything
> on where these scripts live. I have a feeling I am using the wrong
> search words. I have nothing about them in ~/.kde/Autostart Anyway,
> can somebody point me in right direction? Using Hardy & KDE 3.5

could it be a session problem? check system
settings-->advanced-->session manager, and make sure it's either
starting with a blank session or some session you are sure
doesn'tcontain kmail, you could as well save your current session (that
doesn't include kmail) if you are using the mnually saved session option.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 08-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Derek Broughton

Alan Dacey (grokit) wrote:

> I've just switched email from Kmail to Thunderbird. Kontact still
> launches when I boot and I want to replace it with Thunderbird. I have
> looked on the forums, in rutebook, and google but I cannot find anything
> on where these scripts live. I have a feeling I am using the wrong
> search words. I have nothing about them in ~/.kde/Autostart Anyway,
> can somebody point me in right direction? Using Hardy & KDE 3.5

kontact/kmail doesn't launch on startup (except by putting it in
Autostart) - it's merely a persistent KDE application, which means that it
starts in your session whenever it was running when your last session was
closed. So the question is, did you ever really close it? Clicking on
the "X" (close window) icon does NOT stop kontact/kmail. You need to use
the Quit option from the menu.
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 04:36 PM
"Alan Dacey (grokit)"

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Alan Dacey (grokit) wrote:
>
>> I've just switched email from Kmail to Thunderbird. Kontact still
>> launches when I boot and I want to replace it with Thunderbird. I have
>> looked on the forums, in rutebook, and google but I cannot find anything
>> on where these scripts live. I have a feeling I am using the wrong
>> search words. I have nothing about them in ~/.kde/Autostart Anyway,
>> can somebody point me in right direction? Using Hardy & KDE 3.5
>>
> kontact/kmail doesn't launch on startup (except by putting it in
> Autostart) - it's merely a persistent KDE application, which means that it
> starts in your session whenever it was running when your last session was
> closed. So the question is, did you ever really close it? Clicking on
> the "X" (close window) icon does NOT stop kontact/kmail. You need to use
> the Quit option from the menu.

That's the ticket! I had to kill the kmail process, then uncheck 'restore previous session'.
I didn't even think about persistence but I will next time.

Thanks Willie and Derek!