Old 08-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Konqueror the ultimate Linux tool or cool things you can do with it

Knapp wrote:
> type
> man:ls

That's way too complicated - I use "#ls" instead, which is much shorter

> Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?

Try "info:wget".

Nils

Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Joan Tur

Es Dissabte, 16 de Agost de 2008, en Knapp va escriure:

fish://user@host -> graphical ssh

| On other I found in the URL adress space type
| py:math
| and you will be given a search of google python manual.
|
| type
| man:ls
| and you will be given a great printout of the man command in a nice
| KDE GUI format. Works for all man searches and it lists other commands
| as you type too!
|
| Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?

smb:/
print:/

Others (in spanish):
http://www.microteknologias.cl/linux_kioslaves.html

That's why I love Konqueror
--
Joan Tur (aka Quini), Eivissa-Spain
Jabber: quini2k@jabber.org

Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 AM
"Jussi Schultink"

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Joan Tur <joantur@cancullet.org> wrote:
> Es Dissabte, 16 de Agost de 2008, en Knapp va escriure:
> | I started out this email with the idea of writing about a really cool
> | thing that I found you could do with Konqueror. I had no idea that
> | this was possible after years of use. Then I found someone who had
> | already done this.
> |
> | http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6102390.html
>
> fish://user@host -> graphical ssh
>
> | On other I found in the URL adress space type
> | py:math
> | and you will be given a search of google python manual.
> |
> | type
> | man:ls
> | and you will be given a great printout of the man command in a nice
> | KDE GUI format. Works for all man searches and it lists other commands
> | as you type too!
> |
> | Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?
>
> smb:/
> print:/

apt:/
and using sftp;// is much nicer than the fish method imho.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:22 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/8/16 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:
> I started out this email with the idea of writing about a really cool
> thing that I found you could do with Konqueror. I had no idea that
> this was possible after years of use. Then I found someone who had
> already done this.
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6102390.html
>
> On other I found in the URL adress space type
> py:math
> and you will be given a search of google python manual.
>
> type
> man:ls
> and you will be given a great printout of the man command in a nice
> KDE GUI format. Works for all man searches and it lists other commands
> as you type too!
>
> Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?
>
> --
> Douglas E Knapp

One really cool thing you can do with the KIO-slave is audiocd:/
Speaking of that i miss the option to extract the files as FLAC. I got
wav, ogg, cda and mp3 but no flac.
A quick search pointed me to this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdemultimedia/+bug/160260/

/ Jonas

Old 08-16-2008, 11:57 AM
claydoh

On Saturday 16 August 2008 4:03:29 am Knapp wrote:

> Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?

In KDE4, Konqueror has this (I assume new) feature where you can highlight a
non-linked url , and use the right-click context menu to open that link. this
is very handy for me as I find a lot of urls in forum posts that are purely
text and not set to point anywhere.

Another handy feature is the 'open in Firefox' menu item for those
increasingly rare times a site doesn't work well in Konqi

--
Clay Weber

Old 08-16-2008, 01:39 PM
"Willy Hamra"

2008/8/16 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> 2008/8/16 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:
>> I started out this email with the idea of writing about a really cool
>> thing that I found you could do with Konqueror. I had no idea that
>> this was possible after years of use. Then I found someone who had
>> already done this.
>>
>> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6102390.html
>>
>> On other I found in the URL adress space type
>> py:math
>> and you will be given a search of google python manual.
>>
>> type
>> man:ls
>> and you will be given a great printout of the man command in a nice
>> KDE GUI format. Works for all man searches and it lists other commands
>> as you type too!
>>
>> Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?
>>
>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>
> One really cool thing you can do with the KIO-slave is audiocd:/
> Speaking of that i miss the option to extract the files as FLAC. I got
> wav, ogg, cda and mp3 but no flac.
> A quick search pointed me to this bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdemultimedia/+bug/160260/

the most significant feature that made me believe that konqi can
really do magic, i searched every menu item and option in amarok to
see how i can rip a CD, until i discovered the KIO-slave, real magic!
i also like that i can open multiple tabs while using konqi as a file
browser, very handy when moving/copying files across many directories.
even though i rarely use/need them, i like the integration features
with the rest of KDE, like seeing amarok's now playing info in the
left pane of konqi.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 08-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Derek Broughton

claydoh wrote:

> On Saturday 16 August 2008 4:03:29 am Knapp wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?
>>
> In KDE4, Konqueror has this (I assume new) feature where you can highlight
> a non-linked url , and use the right-click context menu to open that link.
> this is very handy for me as I find a lot of urls in forum posts that are
> purely text and not set to point anywhere.

That's always been possible, and is actually a function of klipper, not
konqueror. Configure it by clickin on the clipboard icon in the system
tray.

> Another handy feature is the 'open in Firefox' menu item for those
> increasingly rare times a site doesn't work well in Konqi

Which is available from both the "Location" menu, and the klipper actions.
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Knapp wrote:
>> type
>> man:ls
>
> That's way too complicated - I use "#ls" instead, which is much shorter

indeed - though if you are unfamiliar with this note that it will actually
expand to "man:"

>> Does anyone else know of cool things konqueror can do?
>
> Try "info:wget".

See Konqueror / Settings / Configure Konqueror / Web Shortcuts for a list of
available "protocols" available in Konqueror. iirc, though I confess to
mostly accepting it as magic, not all of these are actually kio slaves.
The kio slaves are (like fish: and sftp are available from _all_ KDE
programs (I love opening remote files from kate - "kate
sftp://domain/filename").

For the web shortcuts, the most common ones I use are dict: (merriam webster
dictionary); of course, gg: (google); and locate: (this is a kio_slave that
searches your slocate database).
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Jussi Schultink wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Joan Tur <joantur@cancullet.org> wrote:
>> Es Dissabte, 16 de Agost de 2008, en Knapp va escriure:
>> | I started out this email with the idea of writing about a really cool
>> | thing that I found you could do with Konqueror. I had no idea that
>> | this was possible after years of use. Then I found someone who had
>> | already done this.
>> |
>> | http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6102390.html
>>
>> fish://user@host -> graphical ssh
>>
>> smb:/
>> print:/
>>
> apt:/
> and using sftp;// is much nicer than the fish method imho.

sftp: is more efficient than fish:. Certainly I'd recommend to use it
anywhere you can. But the wonderful advantage of fish: is that you can use
it _anywhere_ you can ssh, even if it doesn't have an sftp server! It does
this by copying a small script to the account you log into via ssh, that
essentially acts as an ftp server.
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Edmund Laugasson

> i also like that i can open multiple tabs while using konqi as a file
> browser, very handy when moving/copying files across many directories.

Not only tabs but you can split tab vertically by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+L and horizontally by pressing
CTRL+SHIFT+T as many times you want. Closing active window by CTRL+SHIFT+R.

Some other URI-s, what can be typed onto Konqueror's address bar:
remote:/ - network folders
applications:/ - main menu contents
media:/ - removable media and FDD
trash:/ trash can
help:/kubuntu/ - Kubuntu help
about:konqueror - main Konqueror page
aboutlugins - view Konqueror

config:/disable_overview - will disable Konqueror overview when starting - it must be clicked inside
webpage
exec:/khelpcenter
exec:/kcmshell useragent - can change useragent
exec:/kcmshell ebrowsing - customize fast commands like gg: will open Google search (see below)
exec:/kdcop

system:/
system:/users
system:/home
system:/remote
system:/media

help:/kubuntu/internet
help:/kubuntu/office
help:/kubuntu/musicvideophotos
help:/amarok
help:/kaffeine
help:/kopete
help:/konversation
help:/ark
help:/k3b
help:/kpdf
help:/kubuntu/getting-help

...etc. - so you can ask most of KDE apps help.

By typing / you can continue by choosing folder names from drop down menu. It is like TAB at command
line.

Type:
gg:KDE - it will search Google for word KDE

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/about:_URI_scheme
http://www.google.ee/search?q=tips+and+tricks+of+Konqueror