Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Rick Knight

Default Upgrade problems 7.10 > 8.04 LTS

Yesterday I decided to upgrade my notebkk PC to 8.04 LTS from 7.10. I
used the "over the internet" upgrade method. The upgrade hung at
"Setting up locales " and about 76% complete. I had to shutdown to get
past that error and then my notebook was nearly non-functional. I was
able the system to reboot again using some of the work-arounds mentioned
here
"https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/249340",
but I still have a couple of issues...

First, when I boot to Kde desktop I have no network connection. My wired
and wireless interfaces are up and have dhcp assigned addresses and all
network settings look correct, but I can't access any internet sites and
I can't ping any local network addresses. If I boot to recovery mode and
then start KDM, everything works just fine. If I boot to Kdesktop, start
a terminal session and then stop and restart /etc/init.d/networking
everything is OK.

Second, SNMPD is not fully installed and I can't seem to fix it or
configure it. When I run sudo apt-get install snmpd I get these messages...

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
snmpd is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up snmpd (5.4.1~dfsg-4ubuntu4) ...
Starting network management services:/usr/sbin/snmpd: symbol lookup
error: /usr/sbin/snmpd: undefined symbol: smux_listen_sd
invoke-rc.d: initscript snmpd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing snmpd (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
snmpd

So far, everything else seems to be working, but I would really like to
have network connectivity when I boot my PC and I need snmpd in my
office. Can anyone offer any help solving these issues?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Rick Knight

I originally posted this on the Kubuntu Users list, but had no response
so I'm reposting here.

Last week I decided to upgrade my notebkk PC to 8.04 LTS from 7.10. I
used the "over the internet" upgrade method. The upgrade hung at
"Setting up locales " and about 76% complete. I had to shutdown to get
past that error and then my notebook was nearly non-functional. I was
able to get the system to reboot again using some of the work-arounds

Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 PM
NoOp

On 08/18/2008 03:25 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
[snip]

> So far, everything else seems to be working, but I would really like to
> have network connectivity when I boot my PC and I need snmpd in my
> office. Can anyone offer any help solving these issues?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Can you please post:

cat /etc/hosts
cat /etc/hostname
hostname -f

Old 08-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Rick Knight

NoOp wrote:

So far, everything else seems to be working, but I would really like to
have network connectivity when I boot my PC and I need snmpd in my
office. Can anyone offer any help solving these issues?

Thanks,
Rick

Can you please post:

cat /etc/hosts
cat /etc/hostname
hostname -f

NoOp,

Thanks for your reply. /etc/host and /etc/hostname are attached. The
output of "hostname -f"...

rick-laptop

Thanks,
Rick
rick-laptop
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.137 rick-laptop rick-laptop.strocal.local

# Virtual interfaces
172.16.88.60 www www.laptop.com
172.16.88.61 catalog catalog.laptop.com
172.16.88.62 admin admin.laptop.com
172.16.88.63 phpmyadmin phpMyAdmin phpmyadmin.laptop.com

## Strocal, Inc.
# Stockton
192.168.0.60 exstor1 exstor1.strocal.local
192.168.0.85 exstor2 exstor2.strocal.local
192.168.0.87 exstor-backup exstor-backup.strocal.local
192.168.0.218 strocal_web strocal_web.strocal.local
192.168.0.15 strocal-1 strocal-1.strocal.local
192.168.0.8 strocal-2 strocal-2.strocal.local
192.168.0.9 strocal-3 strocal-3.strocal.local
192.168.0.14 strocal-4 strocal-4.strocal.local
192.168.0.10 strocal-5 strocal-5.strocal.local
192.168.0.7 strocal-admin strocal-admin.strocal.local
192.168.0.6 strocal-citrix strocal-citrix.strocal.local
192.168.0.11 strocal-exch01 strocal-exch01.strocal.local
192.168.0.5 strocal-filter strocal-filter.strocal.local
192.168.0.17 strocal-acct strocal-acct.strocal.local

# Eloy
192.168.1.1 pdm_4 pdm_4.strocal.local
192.168.1.2 strocal-e1 strocal-e1.strocal.local

# LongProperties
192.168.168.2 moreing-0 moreing-0.longproperties.net
192.168.168.3 moreing-3 moreing-3.longproperties.net
192.168.168.4 moreing-2 moreing-2.longproperties.net
192.168.168.5 exstor-longprop exstor-longprop.longproperties.net

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
NoOp

On 08/18/2008 04:01 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 08/18/2008 03:25 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> So far, everything else seems to be working, but I would really like to
>>> have network connectivity when I boot my PC and I need snmpd in my
>>> office. Can anyone offer any help solving these issues?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rick
>>>

>> Can you please post:
>>
>> cat /etc/hosts
>> cat /etc/hostname
>> hostname -f
>>

> NoOp,
>
> Thanks for your reply. /etc/host and /etc/hostname are attached. The
> output of "hostname -f"...
>
> rick-laptop
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Try modifying:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 rick-laptop

and restart networking - see if you can ping localhost then.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Rick Knight

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/18/2008 04:01 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> On 08/18/2008 03:25 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Can you please post:
>>>
>>> cat /etc/hosts
>>> cat /etc/hostname
>>> hostname -f
>>>

>> NoOp,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. /etc/host and /etc/hostname are attached. The
>> output of "hostname -f"...
>>
>> rick-laptop
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick
>>

> Try modifying:
>

> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 rick-laptop
>
> and restart networking - see if you can ping localhost then.

NoOp,

I can ping localhost and 127.0.0.1 with or without the change you
suggested. Also, that change seems to have no effect on my network
problem. When I boot into to a command prompt, networking works
correctly. When I boot to KDE I have no networking. My interfaces have
been assigned dhcp addresses, but I cannot ping anything outside my PC
and I have no internet. If I stop networking and then restart networking
everything is OK.

Thanks again,
Rick

Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Rick Knight

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/18/2008 04:01 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> On 08/18/2008 03:25 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Can you please post:
>>>
>>> cat /etc/hosts
>>> cat /etc/hostname
>>> hostname -f
>>>

>> NoOp,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. /etc/host and /etc/hostname are attached. The
>> output of "hostname -f"...
>>
>> rick-laptop
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick
>>

> Try modifying:
>

> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 rick-laptop
>
> and restart networking - see if you can ping localhost then.

Just an update.

My wireless does work, but only when I start it manually with this
command...

$ sudo wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -i eth0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
$sudo dhclient eth1

Prior to the upgrade to 8.04, my wireless started automatically.

Thanks again,
Rick

Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
NoOp

On 08/19/2008 08:32 AM, Rick Knight wrote:

> NoOp,
>
> I can ping localhost and 127.0.0.1 with or without the change you
> suggested. Also, that change seems to have no effect on my network
> problem. When I boot into to a command prompt, networking works
> correctly. When I boot to KDE I have no networking. My interfaces have
> been assigned dhcp addresses, but I cannot ping anything outside my PC
> and I have no internet. If I stop networking and then restart networking
> everything is OK.
>
> Thanks again,
> Rick

Ah... sorry, I took "I can't ping any local network addresses." to mean
that you couldn't ping localhost.

<quote>
First, when I boot to Kde desktop I have no network connection. My wired
and wireless interfaces are up and have dhcp assigned addresses and all
network settings look correct, but I can't access any internet sites and
I can't ping any local network addresses. If I boot to recovery mode and
then start KDM, everything works just fine. If I boot to Kdesktop, start
a terminal session and then stop and restart /etc/init.d/networking
everything is OK.
</quote>

I only have kde4.1 installed for testing purposes, but what this sounds
like is exactly what happens when I have network roaming selected on my
laptop with no wireless connection. I put it in that mode to test the
vpn settings.

With "Enable roaming mode" selected, after I boot up I have to
right-click the nm icon and tell it to connect using a wired connection.
Once I do that it goes out and gets a dhcp address from my router.
Note: I have the system configured for a wireless PCMCIA but the card is
not in the machine so it doesn't automatically find a wireless network
on boot. I've got another test machine with just kde on it, I'll fire
that up later today and check with a wireless device on it.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
NoOp

On 08/19/2008 11:03 AM, Rick Knight wrote:

> Just an update.
>
> My wireless does work, but only when I start it manually with this
> command...
>
> $ sudo wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -i eth0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> $sudo dhclient eth1
>
> Prior to the upgrade to 8.04, my wireless started automatically.
>
> Thanks again,
> Rick

I wonder if the /etc/network/interfaces file is getting messed up. Can
you post:

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Rick Knight

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/19/2008 11:03 AM, Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> Just an update.
>>
>> My wireless does work, but only when I start it manually with this
>> command...
>>
>> $ sudo wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -i eth0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>> $sudo dhclient eth1
>>
>> Prior to the upgrade to 8.04, my wireless started automatically.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Rick
>>

> I wonder if the /etc/network/interfaces file is getting messed up. Can
> you post:
>
> cat /etc/network/interfaces

NoOp,

I removed Knemo and installed network-manager-kde and knetwork-manager.
Now my networking is working at startup in Kdesktop and in terminal
mode. Wireless still needs to be started manually with wpa_supplicant
and dhclient. Any way to automate this in 8.04

BTW I installed 8.04 with KDE3, not KDE4.

Thanks,
Rick