-   -   Network management and monitoring application ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/142578-network-management-monitoring-application.html)

Bruno Costacurta 08-13-2008 08:55 PM

Network management and monitoring application ?

Hello,

I'm looking for an application to setup networks wired and wireless using WPA
security on a laptop and monitor them via an applet on the Panel.
I tried knetworkmanager but it seems it cannot manage wireless connections.

Thanks for your experiences and feelings.

Bye,
Bruno

Edmund Laugasson 08-13-2008 09:14 PM

Network management and monitoring application ?

> I'm looking for an application to setup networks wired and wireless using WPA
> security on a laptop and monitor them via an applet on the Panel.
> I tried knetworkmanager but it seems it cannot manage wireless connections.

I like WiCD - http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
It has wired and wireless networks support and also tray icon. There are also Ubuntu repositories to
install it - check at program's homepage. It supports also WPA2 encryption.

Andrew Jarrett 08-13-2008 09:24 PM

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 16:55:28 Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> I tried knetworkmanager but it seems it cannot manage wireless connections.

Yes it can. I use knetworkmanager to manage both my wired and wireless
connections, but I don't use WPA security. However, your problems may run
deeper than just getting WPA to work (have you gotten your wireless card to
connect to your router at all?). I'm sure that knetworkmanager can handle
WPA - maybe someone else on the list has it working and can help you.

Andrew

Pablo El Feo 08-14-2008 01:33 AM

Network management and monitoring application ?

I am using knetworkmanager to connect to several wired ethernets, and several
wireless networks... I use WPA2 in my house, I use WEP at the office and the
coffeeshop's open wireless network when I get out of work.
knetworkmanager handles all those connections by itself. (all of them have
DHCP).
To connect to a new network you have to wait until it detects the networks in
the area, the you have to select the wireless network you want to join and if
it isn't an open network it'll ask the details... check the option "use
security" (or something like that, I use spanish), choose if it uses WEP,
personal WPA (?) or business WPA (?)... At home I use personal WPA, I guess
that's what you'll get from any cheap home access-point. Then you can choose
between WPA1 and WPA2... and the protocol, I use TKIP.

It really works flawlessly to me.

Pablo

Edmund Laugasson 08-14-2008 02:09 AM

Network management and monitoring application ?

> I am using knetworkmanager to connect to several wired ethernets, and several
> wireless networks... I use WPA2 in my house

What kind of WiFi adapter you use for WPA2? Is it with native Linux drivers or using ndiswrapper and
Windows driver?

Bruno Costacurta 08-14-2008 12:19 PM

On Thursday 14 August 2008 04:09:16 Edmund Laugasson wrote:
> > I am using knetworkmanager to connect to several wired ethernets, and
> > several wireless networks... I use WPA2 in my house
>
> What kind of WiFi adapter you use for WPA2? Is it with native Linux drivers
> or using ndiswrapper and Windows driver?

I'm using driver wext with wicd to connect to my WPA wireless (on Asus Eee
model 900).
Bye,
Bruno

Thu Aug 14 16:30:02 2008