FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 AM
DEEPESH KATKAR
 
Default Fw: Can anybody help me????

resending this mail after subscribing to the list


Best Regards

Deepesh Katkar


--- On Wed, 13/8/08, kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com <kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
From: kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com <kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Can anybody help me????
To: afrodeepesh@yahoo.co.in
Date: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008, 11:06 AM

You must subscribe before posting to this list and you must send with
the same e-mail as you subscribed with.

(Note that gmail and googlemail are different addresses, make sure you
subscribe with the right one.)






Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Knapp
 
Default Fw: Can anybody help me????

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:00 AM, DEEPESH KATKAR <afrodeepesh@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> resending this mail after subscribing to the list
>
> Best Regards
>
> Deepesh Katkar
>
> --- On Wed, 13/8/08, kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
> <kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> From: kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
> <kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Can anybody help me????
> To: afrodeepesh@yahoo.co.in
> Date: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008, 11:06 AM
>
> You must subscribe before posting to this list and you must send with
> the same e-mail as you subscribed with.
>
> (Note that gmail and googlemail are different addresses, make sure you
> subscribe with the right one.)
>
>
> ________________________________
> Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: DEEPESH KATKAR <afrodeepesh@yahoo.co.in>
> To: "kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com" <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:06:39 +0530 (IST)
> Subject: Can anybody help me????
> Hello......I have just downloaded kubuntu upon my friend's recommendation
> and wanna use this as an operating system. How ever my desktop is also used
> by my bro who wants to keep Windows.........Can anybody help me by
> explaining how can use both the systems???? My friend also advised me that I
> can partition my HDD use both operating systems. If so, how much disk space
> will be used??? please note that I have following config for a pc...:
> 160 GB HDD
> 1 GB RAM
> Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz processor
> Windows XP OS
>
> I shall really be thank ful for ur help. I am not so good at computers but I
> m trying to learn a few things.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Deepesh Katkar

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot


--
Douglas E Knapp

http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Billie Walsh
 
Default Fw: Can anybody help me????

On 08/13/2008 DEEPESH KATKAR wrote:
> Hello......I have just downloaded kubuntu upon my friend's
> recommendation and wanna use this as an operating system. How ever my
> desktop is also used by my bro who wants to keep Windows.........Can
> anybody help me by explaining how can use both the systems???? My
> friend also advised me that I can partition my HDD use both operating
> systems. If so, how much disk space will be used??? please note that
> I have following config for a pc...:
> 160 GB HDD
> 1 GB RAM
> Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz processor
> Windows XP OS
>
> I shall really be thank ful for ur help. I am not so good at
> computers but I m trying to learn a few things.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Deepesh Katkar

Simple answer is yes you can use both.

Most any CD burning software knows what to do with the ISO that you
downloaded. So burn the disk. Put it in the CD drive and reboot your
computer [ check the bios to make sure the computer will boot from the
CD drive before the hard drive ]. You will be given a choice of whether
you want to run Kubuntu from the CD [ can't save any work you do ],
install Kubuntu, boot from the hard drive, or check the CD [ not a bad
idea at this point ]. In a fresh install of this type I usually run from
the CD then when it's up and running click on the install icon on the
desktop. [ Why? - I don't know, I just do. ] After a couple pages of
information the installer will give you a suggestion on how to install.
Usually it does a pretty good job of choosing the sizes and partitions
and I will just go with it. If you want to do something different
there's an advanced button that takes you to another page where you can
set it up your way. Once that's done it installs.

Once the installation is complete and the system reboots the first thing
you will see after the POST is the Grub boot menu. This is where you
choose which OS to run.

Have fun.

--
Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
John Heinen
 
Default Fw: Can anybody help me????

Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 08/13/2008 DEEPESH KATKAR wrote:
>
>> Hello......I have just downloaded kubuntu upon my friend's
>> recommendation and wanna use this as an operating system. How ever my
>> desktop is also used by my bro who wants to keep Windows.........Can
>> anybody help me by explaining how can use both the systems???? My
>> friend also advised me that I can partition my HDD use both operating
>> systems. If so, how much disk space will be used??? please note that
>> I have following config for a pc...:
>> 160 GB HDD
>> 1 GB RAM
>> Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz processor
>> Windows XP OS
>>
>> I shall really be thank ful for ur help. I am not so good at
>> computers but I m trying to learn a few things.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> Deepesh Katkar
>>
>
> Simple answer is yes you can use both.
>
> Most any CD burning software knows what to do with the ISO that you
> downloaded. So burn the disk. Put it in the CD drive and reboot your
> computer [ check the bios to make sure the computer will boot from the
> CD drive before the hard drive ]. You will be given a choice of whether
> you want to run Kubuntu from the CD [ can't save any work you do ],
> install Kubuntu, boot from the hard drive, or check the CD [ not a bad
> idea at this point ]. In a fresh install of this type I usually run from
> the CD then when it's up and running click on the install icon on the
> desktop. [ Why? - I don't know, I just do. ] After a couple pages of
> information the installer will give you a suggestion on how to install.
> Usually it does a pretty good job of choosing the sizes and partitions
> and I will just go with it. If you want to do something different
> there's an advanced button that takes you to another page where you can
> set it up your way. Once that's done it installs.
>
> Once the installation is complete and the system reboots the first thing
> you will see after the POST is the Grub boot menu. This is where you
> choose which OS to run.
>
> Have fun.
>
>
Sure it's easy, go to firefox, read about wubi, let me know. John Heinen

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Billie Walsh
 
Default Fw: Can anybody help me????

John Heinen wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> On 08/13/2008 DEEPESH KATKAR wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Hello......I have just downloaded kubuntu upon my friend's
>>> recommendation and wanna use this as an operating system. How ever my
>>> desktop is also used by my bro who wants to keep Windows.........Can
>>> anybody help me by explaining how can use both the systems???? My
>>> friend also advised me that I can partition my HDD use both operating
>>> systems. If so, how much disk space will be used??? please note that
>>> I have following config for a pc...:
>>> 160 GB HDD
>>> 1 GB RAM
>>> Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz processor
>>> Windows XP OS
>>>
>>> I shall really be thank ful for ur help. I am not so good at
>>> computers but I m trying to learn a few things.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> Deepesh Katkar
>>>
>>>
>> Simple answer is yes you can use both.
>>
>> Most any CD burning software knows what to do with the ISO that you
>> downloaded. So burn the disk. Put it in the CD drive and reboot your
>> computer [ check the bios to make sure the computer will boot from the
>> CD drive before the hard drive ]. You will be given a choice of whether
>> you want to run Kubuntu from the CD [ can't save any work you do ],
>> install Kubuntu, boot from the hard drive, or check the CD [ not a bad
>> idea at this point ]. In a fresh install of this type I usually run from
>> the CD then when it's up and running click on the install icon on the
>> desktop. [ Why? - I don't know, I just do. ] After a couple pages of
>> information the installer will give you a suggestion on how to install.
>> Usually it does a pretty good job of choosing the sizes and partitions
>> and I will just go with it. If you want to do something different
>> there's an advanced button that takes you to another page where you can
>> set it up your way. Once that's done it installs.
>>
>> Once the installation is complete and the system reboots the first thing
>> you will see after the POST is the Grub boot menu. This is where you
>> choose which OS to run.
>>
>> Have fun.
>>
>>
>>
> Sure it's easy, go to firefox, read about wubi, let me know. John Heinen
>
>

I tried it with my new laptop. It did work but I, for whatever reason,
decided to do the traditional dual boot.

--
Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default Fw: Can anybody help me????

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000404070708050708020301
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Billie Walsh wrote:
> John Heinen wrote:
>> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> =20
>>> On 08/13/2008 DEEPESH KATKAR wrote:
>>> =20
>>> =20
>>>> Hello......I have just downloaded kubuntu upon my friend's
>>>> recommendation and wanna use this as an operating system. How ever =
my
>>>> desktop is also used by my bro who wants to keep Windows.........Ca=
n
>>>> anybody help me by explaining how can use both the systems???? My
>>>> friend also advised me that I can partition my HDD use both operati=
ng
>>>> systems. If so, how much disk space will be used??? please note tha=
t
>>>> I have following config for a pc...:
>>>> 160 GB HDD
>>>> 1 GB RAM
>>>> Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz processor
>>>> Windows XP OS
>>>>
>>>> I shall really be thank ful for ur help. I am not so good at
>>>> computers but I m trying to learn a few things.
>>>>
>>>> Best Regards
>>>>
>>>> Deepesh Katkar
>>>> =20
>>>> =20
>>> Simple answer is yes you can use both.
>>>
>>> Most any CD burning software knows what to do with the ISO that you=20
>>> downloaded. So burn the disk. Put it in the CD drive and reboot your =

>>> computer [ check the bios to make sure the computer will boot from th=
e=20
>>> CD drive before the hard drive ]. You will be given a choice of wheth=
er=20
>>> you want to run Kubuntu from the CD [ can't save any work you do ],=20
>>> install Kubuntu, boot from the hard drive, or check the CD [ not a ba=
d=20
>>> idea at this point ]. In a fresh install of this type I usually run f=
rom=20
>>> the CD then when it's up and running click on the install icon on the=
=20
>>> desktop. [ Why? - I don't know, I just do. ] After a couple pages of =

>>> information the installer will give you a suggestion on how to instal=
l.=20
>>> Usually it does a pretty good job of choosing the sizes and partition=
s=20
>>> and I will just go with it. If you want to do something different=20
>>> there's an advanced button that takes you to another page where you c=
an=20
>>> set it up your way. Once that's done it installs.
>>>
>>> Once the installation is complete and the system reboots the first th=
ing=20
>>> you will see after the POST is the Grub boot menu. This is where you =

>>> choose which OS to run.
>>>
>>> Have fun.
>>>
>>> =20
>>> =20
>> Sure it's easy, go to firefox, read about wubi, let me know. John Hein=
en
>>
>> =20
>=20
> I tried it with my new laptop. It did work but I, for whatever reason, =

> decided to do the traditional dual boot.
>=20
BTW, does a system running from a loop mounted image file. like in the
case of WUBI installs, run at the same speed as traditional ones? is
there any noticeable sluggishness or it runs as fast as the traditional?

--=20
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net

--------------000404070708050708020301
Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8;
name="w_hamra1987.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="w_hamra1987.vcf"

YmVnaW46dmNhcmQNCmZuOldpbGx5IEhhbXJhDQpuOkhhbXJhO1 dpbGx5DQplbWFpbDtpbnRl
cm5ldDp3LmhhbXJhMTk4N0BnbWFpbC5jb20NCngtbW96aWxsYS 1odG1sOkZBTFNFDQp2ZXJz
aW9uOjIuMQ0KZW5kOnZjYXJkDQoNCg==
--------------000404070708050708020301--
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Billie Walsh
 
Default Fw: Can anybody help me????

On 08/13/2008 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> BTW, does a system running from a loop mounted image file. like in the
> case of WUBI installs, run at the same speed as traditional ones? is
> there any noticeable sluggishness or it runs as fast as the
> traditional?

What little I played with it I didn't notice any real difference.
Actually it uses the Windows boot manager to choose which OS to run. It
doesn't run *Ubuntu from within Windows. You actually boot directly into
whichever.

--
Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org