Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 PM
chuck adams

Default scanner optimization and usage

I am in the process of converting a number of high-end math
and physics texts to PDF. I want to be able to sit with a laptop
and not have to run back and forth to the bookcases lugging
heavy books and winding up with a pile of them in the floor.

Using Kubuntu 8.04.1 with xsane and a Canon LiDE 25 scanner.

I scan in pages at 300DPI to PS files, i.e. 001.ps, 002.ps, ...
I need the 300DPI (I think) to see clean crisp text and images
at 400% zoom factors.

After I generate the book in many files of PS, I have a script page_txt
with the line

gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=pnmraw -r300 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=- -q
$1 | ocrad > `basename $1 .ps`.txt

and I then, from the command line in the directory:

for i in *ps
do
page_txt $i
done

This gives me pages with the OCR text. I tried gocr and tesseract and
did not get as good results as with ocrad.

Then I run the following

gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=out.pdf *.ps

to consolidate all the .ps files into one PDF file. I can live with this.
I can NFS mount several TB of disc space, so that is not an issue at
this time. :-)

Is there a way to further compress the file sizes at any point and still
not lose the desired resolution? Using only software that comes with
Kubuntu or available from the Kubuntu repos. Inquiring minds want
to know.

I may have reinvented the wheel or gone about this all wrong, but
education is expensive no matter how you get it.

Thanks in advance,

chuck

Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/8/12 chuck adams <k7qo@commspeed.net>:

> I am in the process of converting a number of high-end math
> and physics texts to PDF. I want to be able to sit with a laptop
> and not have to run back and forth to the bookcases lugging
> heavy books and winding up with a pile of them in the floor.
>
> Using Kubuntu 8.04.1 with xsane and a Canon LiDE 25 scanner.
>
> I scan in pages at 300DPI to PS files, i.e. 001.ps, 002.ps, ...
> I need the 300DPI (I think) to see clean crisp text and images
> at 400% zoom factors.
>
> After I generate the book in many files of PS, I have a script page_txt
> with the line
>
> gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=pnmraw -r300 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=- -q
> $1 | ocrad > `basename $1 .ps`.txt
>
> and I then, from the command line in the directory:
>
> for i in *ps
> do
> page_txt $i
> done
>
> This gives me pages with the OCR text. I tried gocr and tesseract and
> did not get as good results as with ocrad.
>
> Then I run the following
>
> gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=out.pdf *.ps
>
> to consolidate all the .ps files into one PDF file. I can live with this.
> I can NFS mount several TB of disc space, so that is not an issue at
> this time. :-)
>
> Is there a way to further compress the file sizes at any point and still
> not lose the desired resolution? Using only software that comes with
> Kubuntu or available from the Kubuntu repos. Inquiring minds want
> to know.
>
> I may have reinvented the wheel or gone about this all wrong, but
> education is expensive no matter how you get it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> chuck

Hi!

A good program to scan books and magazines to pdf or djvu are
gscan2pdf. Give it a try.

/ Jonas

Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Billie Walsh

chuck adams wrote:
> I am in the process of converting a number of high-end math
> and physics texts to PDF. I want to be able to sit with a laptop
> and not have to run back and forth to the bookcases lugging
> heavy books and winding up with a pile of them in the floor.
>
> Using Kubuntu 8.04.1 with xsane and a Canon LiDE 25 scanner.
>
> I scan in pages at 300DPI to PS files, i.e. 001.ps, 002.ps, ...
> I need the 300DPI (I think) to see clean crisp text and images
> at 400% zoom factors.
>
> After I generate the book in many files of PS, I have a script page_txt
> with the line
>
> gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=pnmraw -r300 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=- -q
> $1 | ocrad > `basename $1 .ps`.txt
>
> and I then, from the command line in the directory:
>
> for i in *ps
> do
> page_txt $i
> done
>
> This gives me pages with the OCR text. I tried gocr and tesseract and
> did not get as good results as with ocrad.
>
> Then I run the following
>
> gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=out.pdf *.ps
>
> to consolidate all the .ps files into one PDF file. I can live with this.
> I can NFS mount several TB of disc space, so that is not an issue at
> this time. :-)
>
> Is there a way to further compress the file sizes at any point and still
> not lose the desired resolution? Using only software that comes with
> Kubuntu or available from the Kubuntu repos. Inquiring minds want
> to know.
>
> I may have reinvented the wheel or gone about this all wrong, but
> education is expensive no matter how you get it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> chuck

I've slowly been converting all my genealogy notes and copies of papers
to PDF files as a back up. I used a program called "gscan2pdf". Scan the
papers and directly exports to PDF files.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Martin Laberge

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 12:56:15 chuck adams wrote:

> I am in the process of converting a number of high-end math
> and physics texts to PDF. I want to be able to sit with a laptop
> and not have to run back and forth to the bookcases lugging
> heavy books and winding up with a pile of them in the floor.
>
> Using Kubuntu 8.04.1 with xsane and a Canon LiDE 25 scanner.
>
> I scan in pages at 300DPI to PS files, i.e. 001.ps, 002.ps, ...
> I need the 300DPI (I think) to see clean crisp text and images
> at 400% zoom factors.
>
> After I generate the book in many files of PS, I have a script page_txt
> with the line
>
> gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=pnmraw -r300 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=- -q
> $1 | ocrad > `basename $1 .ps`.txt
>
> and I then, from the command line in the directory:
>
> for i in *ps
> do
> page_txt $i
> done
>
> This gives me pages with the OCR text. I tried gocr and tesseract and
> did not get as good results as with ocrad.
>
> Then I run the following
>
> gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=out.pdf *.ps
>
> to consolidate all the .ps files into one PDF file. I can live with this.
> I can NFS mount several TB of disc space, so that is not an issue at
> this time. :-)
>
> Is there a way to further compress the file sizes at any point and still
> not lose the desired resolution? Using only software that comes with
> Kubuntu or available from the Kubuntu repos. Inquiring minds want
> to know.
>
> I may have reinvented the wheel or gone about this all wrong, but
> education is expensive no matter how you get it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> chuck

gscan2pdf is a jewel to do this task,

and the results are super sharp at 300dpi.

but of course, take a few minutes to understand
how it works, but after that, you're at full speed.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 08-17-2008, 12:04 AM
"D. R. Evans"

Martin Laberge said the following at 08/12/2008 04:11 PM :

> gscan2pdf is a jewel to do this task,

gscan2pdf is good; however, I do have to point out to the OP that the
resulting files are about twice the size as the ones I used to get on my
Windows system. I'm not sure why that is, but it's pretty constantly true.

I did try to see if there was a program that could look at the PDF and
convert the graphical data into something more compressed (but still PDF),
but I couldn't find anything that did the job.

On the Windows side, the files were originally compressed TIF; when I
converted them to PDF, the resulting files were (as I mention above) about
half the size of the PDFs I'm getting from gscan2pdf. So that sort-of
indicates that the PDF output from gscan2pdf isn't as compressed as it
could be.

Disk space is cheap though (and you indicate it isn't a problem for you),
so it's really nothing more a minor irritation.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR