Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
"Peter Williams"

Default SOLVED !!! Help!!! My desktop contains icons for deleted files. How do I fix this?

Hi Donn and All,

2008/8/12 Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>

Donn wrote:

> On Tuesday, 12 August 2008 06:49:37 Peter Williams wrote:

> > When I use Konquerer to explore the /home/user/Desktop folder I only

> > see

> Try going to the View menu -> show hidden files. Perhaps they'll show

> up. Hidden files are anything starting with a dot '.'

Other than that, maybe it has something to do with the contents of the

trash folder which is located in "/home/$USER/.local/share/Trash/". But I

have no idea why the icons then might still be on the desktop.

'Panic stations' over. I've fixed my problems: (a) with kconsole and screen saver tab quitting (with error) & (b) with the icons on Desktop which I could not delete.

This is going to sound a bit drastic -- but I accidentally uninstalled some part of the KDE OS which it needed to bootup. I ended up getting to a TTY login prompt. I phoned a friend who also uses Ubuntu and he told me to login and use the 'startx' command which I did. I was the able to boot into Gnome (I think). I then use the Synaptic Package Manager and installed KDE -- all 357 packages of it. Good thing my ADSL connection was still working without any problems.

I selected KDE as my default and I then rebooted and KDE 4.0 started fine.

The problems with the icons was that I needed to 'unlock' one of the icon then right-mouse-click to select remove icon. That worked for removal of all the unwanted icons.

Best Wishes and Happy Computing
*

Nils

Fond Regards,
Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS
from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia -- phone (03) 6236-9675

My free website is: http://pewtas.googlepages.com (or) http://tinyurl.com/yuyejs

(please visit my free website and let me know what you think about it.)