Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 AM
"Peter Williams"

Default Help!!! My desktop contains icons for deleted files. How do I fix this?

Hi Kubuntu ppl,

The subject says it all. On my desktop { /home/user/Desktop folder } there are icons for programs & files which I moved to the Trash. However, the power went off and the pc lost power. When the power was restored - I now still have the icons on the desktop, but if I click on them (eg to open them) I get a message that the file cannot be found. (eg the icons are on the Desktop but the point to non-existant files!)

As I'm still a newbie at Linux and Kubuntu -- I'd appreciate if someone could tell me the exact command(s) to do to fix this problem.
Happy Computing ;-)))
PEW

--
Fond Regards,

Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS
from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia -- phone (03) 6236-9675

My free website is: http://pewtas.googlepages.com (or) http://tinyurl.com/yuyejs

(please visit my free website and let me know what you think about it.)

Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Nils Kassube

Peter Williams wrote:
> The subject says it all. On my desktop { /home/user/Desktop folder }
> there are icons for programs & files which I moved to the Trash.
> However, the power went off and the pc lost power. When the power was
> restored - I now still have the icons on the desktop, but if I click on
> them (eg to open them) I get a message that the file cannot be found.
> (eg the icons are on the Desktop but the point to non-existant files!)

On an empty desktop press the space bar, then one of the icons should be
highlighted. With the arrow keys navigate to one of the icons you want to
remove and then press shift-del. You should be asked to confirm if you
want to remove the icon. After the confirmation you can navigate to the
next icon etc.

Nils

Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 AM
"Peter Williams"

Hi Nils & All,

2008/8/12 Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>

Peter Williams wrote:

> The subject says it all. On my desktop { /home/user/Desktop folder }

> there are icons for programs & files which I moved to the Trash.

> However, the power went off and the pc lost power. When the power was

> restored - I now still have the icons on the desktop, but if I click on

> them (eg to open them) I get a message that the file cannot be found.

> (eg the icons are on the Desktop but the point to non-existant files!)

On an empty desktop press the space bar, then one of the icons should be

highlighted. With the arrow keys navigate to one of the icons you want to

remove and then press shift-del. You should be asked to confirm if you

want to remove the icon. After the confirmation you can navigate to the

next icon etc.

Sorry ... but your suggestion did not work. I am unable to select the icons, and so I cannot delete them in the usual way. I think that my /home/user/Desktop folder is probably corrupted !?!

When I use Konquerer to explore the /home/user/Desktop folder I only see one (1) file... named "Xlogo.desktop" -- it is a valid file. It's a shortcut to a .jar file (Sun Java 6) and it is the only valid file (e.g. it's the only file which actually belongs on the desktop). The other 6 files on the Desktop don't appear in the Konquerer view of the Desktop folder.

Nils

Best Regards and Happy Kubuntu-ing ;-)))
PEW
*

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Donn

On Tuesday, 12 August 2008 06:49:37 Peter Williams wrote:
> When I use Konquerer to explore the /home/user/Desktop folder I only see

Try going to the View menu -> show hidden files. Perhaps they'll show up.
Hidden files are anything starting with a dot '.'

Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Nils Kassube

Donn wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 August 2008 06:49:37 Peter Williams wrote:
> > When I use Konquerer to explore the /home/user/Desktop folder I only
> > see
>
> Try going to the View menu -> show hidden files. Perhaps they'll show
> up. Hidden files are anything starting with a dot '.'

Other than that, maybe it has something to do with the contents of the
trash folder which is located in "/home/$USER/.local/share/Trash/". But I
have no idea why the icons then might still be on the desktop.

Nils