Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Ray Glendinning

Default 7.01>8.04 upgrade hangs

I upgraded on-line from 7.01 to 8.04 and the installation hung. An attempt to stop the installation carried a warning that the system would
be unstable if I did not resume. I had no choice.
running Update Manager check gave the following error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Running dpkg --configure -a set the process in motion but it again
froze at:

Setting up locales (2.7.9-4) ...
Generating locales...
en_AU.UTF-8...

Any help out there?

Ray Glen

Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Martin Laberge

On Monday 11 August 2008 19:24:53 Ray Glendinning wrote:
> I upgraded on-line from 7.01 to 8.04 and the installation hung. An attempt to stop the installation carried a warning that the system would
> be unstable if I did not resume. I had no choice.
> running Update Manager check gave the following error:
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
> correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> Running dpkg --configure -a set the process in motion but it again
> froze at:
>
> Setting up locales (2.7.9-4) ...
> Generating locales...
> en_AU.UTF-8...
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Ray Glen

This does not HANG there, but it is the last message before a long long time....
wait 2 to 5 minutes, and see it continue...

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Frans

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:24:53 +0000, Ray Glendinning wrote:

> I upgraded on-line from 7.01 to 8.04 and the installation hung. An
> attempt to stop the installation carried a warning that the system would
> be unstable if I did not resume. I had no choice. running Update Manager
> check gave the following error:
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> Running dpkg --configure -a set the process in motion but it again
> froze at:
>
> Setting up locales (2.7.9-4) ...
> Generating locales...
> en_AU.UTF-8...
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Ray Glen

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/155480 might help.

The launchpad bug referred to is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/249340
Izzy's comment on that bug on 2008-07-17 provided the workaround
mentioned on the ubuntu-user list.

Good luck!

-Frans