Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Gordon Schulz

Default I need to Sort the Application Launcher Menu (widget)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:45, Peter Williams <pewtas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >1) How can I make all of my menus and submenus and menu items be
> >SORTED -- instead of not sorted (which is what they currently are).
Hmm, actually the default should be to have them sorted.
Go to the KDEControlCenter / Desktop / Panels / Menus (Tab). There's
the settings for the KMenu. I think it defaults to Name - Description,
maybe try changing it to some other value.

> >2) When I edited the submenus and menu items, I selected each item one
> >at a time. Is there a way that I can select multiple menu items (e.g.
> >like holding the control key or using the shift key -- to select more
> >than just one menu item)
I don't think that's possible, but I'd like to stand corrected.
--
Gordon.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM
"Peter Williams"

Hi Gordon & All,

2008/8/11 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:45, Peter Williams <pewtas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >1) How can I make all of my menus and submenus and menu items be
>> >SORTED -- instead of not sorted (which is what they currently are).

> Hmm, actually the default should be to have them sorted.
> Go to the KDEControlCenter / Desktop / Panels / Menus (Tab). There's
> the settings for the KMenu. I think it defaults to Name - Description,
> maybe try changing it to some other value.

Gordon, may I ask a silly question?!? What do you mean by "Go to the
KDEControlCenter"?!? Where is the KDEControlCenter? I could not find
any entry in the KMenu by this name (I even used the Search edit box,
to no avail). Or is it a terminal command -- like 'kmenuedit'? Please
explain.

I even opened an xterm shell and used the command "man -k kde" -- and
that listed a lot of commands -- but I could not identify any of these
as KDEControlCenter.

Maybe I need to install something to get it?!?

>> >2) When I edited the submenus and menu items, I selected each item one
>> >at a time. Is there a way that I can select multiple menu items (e.g.
>> >like holding the control key or using the shift key -- to select more
>> >than just one menu item)

> I don't think that's possible, but I'd like to stand corrected.

Bummer!!!

> --
> Gordon.

Best Regards & Happy Computing,
PEW [ Perplexed!!! but still *SMILING* ]

Fond Regards,
Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS
from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia -- phone (03) 6236-9675

My free website is: http://pewtas.googlepages.com (or) http://tinyurl.com/yuyejs

(please visit my free website and let me know what you think about it.)

Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Donn

On Monday, 11 August 2008 11:55:09 Peter Williams wrote:
> Gordon, may I ask a silly question?!? What do you mean by "Go to the
> KDEControlCenter"?!?
Run 'kcontrol' from konsole or form Alt+F2

Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Gordon Schulz

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:55, Peter Williams <pewtas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gordon, may I ask a silly question?!?
There's no such thing, only silly answers.

> What do you mean by "Go to the KDEControlCenter"?!? Where is the KDEControlCenter?
> I could not find any entry in the KMenu by this name
kcontrol is the 'terminal' name, in KMenu it's usually called Control
Center (can't verify right now, not on a Kubuntu machine).
--
Gordon.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/8/11 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:55, Peter Williams <pewtas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gordon, may I ask a silly question?!?
> There's no such thing, only silly answers.
>
>> What do you mean by "Go to the KDEControlCenter"?!? Where is the KDEControlCenter?
>> I could not find any entry in the KMenu by this name
> kcontrol is the 'terminal' name, in KMenu it's usually called Control
> Center (can't verify right now, not on a Kubuntu machine).
> --
> Gordon.

Kubuntu developer has decided to remove the menu entry for kcontrol
for reasons i don't agree with.

/ Jonas

Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Peter Williams wrote:

> Gordon, may I ask a silly question?!? What do you mean by "Go to the
> KDEControlCenter"?!? Where is the KDEControlCenter? I could not find
> any entry in the KMenu by this name (I even used the Search edit box,
> to no avail). Or is it a terminal command -- like 'kmenuedit'? Please
> explain.

"System Settings": it used to be the control center, and you can probably
find the same things in "kcontrol" still.
--
derek

Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 11 August 2008 14:49, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/8/11 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz@gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:55, Peter Williams <pewtas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Gordon, may I ask a silly question?!?
> >
> > There's no such thing, only silly answers.
> >
> >> What do you mean by "Go to the KDEControlCenter"?!? Where is the
> >> KDEControlCenter? I could not find any entry in the KMenu by this name
> >
> > kcontrol is the 'terminal' name, in KMenu it's usually called Control
> > Center (can't verify right now, not on a Kubuntu machine).
> > --
> > Gordon.
>
> Kubuntu developer has decided to remove the menu entry for kcontrol
> for reasons i don't agree with.
>
> / Jonas

It is still on the system though, and is simple to get it to show on the menu.

sudo kwrite, then navigate to /usr/share/applications/kde, click on
kcontrol.desktop, scroll down to the bottom of the file, and change the line
that reads, NoDisplay=true , to NoDisplay=false, save, and it will
miraculously appear on the menu.

Same goes for other apps missing from the menu, superuser file manager, for
example.

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff that everyone knows.

Nigel.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Mark Fraser

On Monday 11 August 2008 08:58:58 Gordon Schulz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:45, Peter Williams <pewtas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >1) How can I make all of my menus and submenus and menu items be
> > >SORTED -- instead of not sorted (which is what they currently are).
>
> Hmm, actually the default should be to have them sorted.
> Go to the KDEControlCenter / Desktop / Panels / Menus (Tab). There's
> the settings for the KMenu. I think it defaults to Name - Description,
> maybe try changing it to some other value.

The default is to have menu items sorted, but as soon as you alter an entry in
a sub-menu (at least here) they become unsorted.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Pastor JW

On Monday 11 August 2008 02:55:09 am Peter Williams wrote:
> Hi Gordon & All,

> > Hmm, actually the default should be to have them sorted.
> > Go to the KDEControlCenter / Desktop / Panels / Menus (Tab). There's
> > the settings for the KMenu. I think it defaults to Name - Description,
> > maybe try changing it to some other value.
>
> Gordon, may I ask a silly question?!? What do you mean by "Go to the
> KDEControlCenter"?!? Where is the KDEControlCenter? I could not find
> any entry in the KMenu by this name (I even used the Search edit box,
> to no avail). Or is it a terminal command -- like 'kmenuedit'? Please
> explain.

On mine it is in the "Actions" part of the menu under "Settings". If you
click the top bar of this menu "Control Center", not the ones with the
arrows, you get the whole overview type of display.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/8/11 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:
>> Kubuntu developer has decided to remove the menu entry for kcontrol
>> for reasons i don't agree with.
>>
>> / Jonas
>
> It is still on the system though, and is simple to get it to show on the menu.
>
> sudo kwrite, then navigate to /usr/share/applications/kde, click on
> kcontrol.desktop, scroll down to the bottom of the file, and change the line
> that reads, NoDisplay=true , to NoDisplay=false, save, and it will
> miraculously appear on the menu.
>
> Same goes for other apps missing from the menu, superuser file manager, for
> example.
>
> Sorry if I'm repeating stuff that everyone knows.
>
> Nigel.

I used to do that but i don't have any kcontrol.desktop on my Kubuntu
Hardy anymore.

/ Jonas