Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

Default NBC will not play video for linux!! Time for a lettering?

On Sunday 10 August 2008 12:17:58 pm Willy Hamra wrote:
> 2008/8/10 Steve Grace <sgrace@pobox.com>:
> > On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 18:20 +0200, Knapp wrote:
> >> http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0810_hd_swb_hl_l1626
> >>r1
> >
> > Did you notice that it's a Microsoft page? :-)
>
> Apparently, microsoft still hates us.
>
> not that i expected otherwise :-P
>

> --
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

Its a fitting match, actually. You've got an Orwellian government policing
what of the Olympics you can see, and you've got an Orwellian company
policing how you see it.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Knapp

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/10 Steve Grace <sgrace@pobox.com>:
>> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 18:20 +0200, Knapp wrote:
>>> http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0810_hd_swb_hl_l1626r1
>>
>> Did you notice that it's a Microsoft page? :-)
>>

> Apparently, microsoft still hates us.
>
> not that i expected otherwise :-P
>

> --
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

I found this about that site, here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=752485&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Confirmed with a 'real' Firefox Install ... Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072820 Firefox/3.0.1 ID:2008072820
Won't let me in at all....

Hah.. I have found the reason .. the site is using SILVERLIGHT, which
is still not available for Linux (Its still only in development)

Silverlight is still flaky for Firefox 3, and I am not sure if it
works in SeaMonkey (It should really, as SeaMonkey is Gecko 1.8.*)

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere...
Stop it steviex , I can only use one of your quotes as a signature at
a time - malliz
Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we
can all learn.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Knapp

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you notice that it's a Microsoft page? :-)
>>>

>> Apparently, microsoft still hates us.
>>
>> not that i expected otherwise :-P
>>

>> --
>> Willy K. Hamra
>> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
>> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.
>>
>> --
>>

> I found this about that site, here:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=752485&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
>
> Confirmed with a 'real' Firefox Install ... Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
> i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072820 Firefox/3.0.1 ID:2008072820
> Won't let me in at all....
>
> Hah.. I have found the reason .. the site is using SILVERLIGHT, which
> is still not available for Linux (Its still only in development)
>
> Silverlight is still flaky for Firefox 3, and I am not sure if it
> works in SeaMonkey (It should really, as SeaMonkey is Gecko 1.8.*)
>
> I think this has been mentioned elsewhere...
> Stop it steviex , I can only use one of your quotes as a signature at
> a time - malliz
> Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we
> can all learn.

How do you get firefox to say it is MSIE ?? It is easy with konqueor
and it gets past that message but then crashes.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Art Alexion

On Sunday 10 August 2008 13:17:58 Willy Hamra wrote:
> 2008/8/10 Steve Grace <sgrace@pobox.com>:
> > On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 18:20 +0200, Knapp wrote:
> >> http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0810_hd_swb_hl_l1626
> >>r1
> >
> > Did you notice that it's a Microsoft page? :-)
>
> Apparently, microsoft still hates us.
>
> not that i expected otherwise :-P

Doesn't support motorola-based macs either. Try playing with the user agent
spoofing on konqueror and get it to say that it's safari on a macbook
(intel). It may just be a browser check thing.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Knapp

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Apparently, microsoft still hates us.
>>>
>>> not that i expected otherwise :-P
>>>

>>> --
>>> Willy K. Hamra
>>> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
>>> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> I found this about that site, here:
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=752485&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
>>
>> Confirmed with a 'real' Firefox Install ... Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
>> i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072820 Firefox/3.0.1 ID:2008072820
>> Won't let me in at all....
>>
>> Hah.. I have found the reason .. the site is using SILVERLIGHT, which
>> is still not available for Linux (Its still only in development)
>>
>> Silverlight is still flaky for Firefox 3, and I am not sure if it
>> works in SeaMonkey (It should really, as SeaMonkey is Gecko 1.8.*)
>>
>> I think this has been mentioned elsewhere...
>> Stop it steviex , I can only use one of your quotes as a signature at
>> a time - malliz
>> Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we
>> can all learn.
>>

> How do you get firefox to say it is MSIE ?? It is easy with konqueor
> and it gets past that message but then crashes.

LOL look at this!! From here:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/beijing_olympics_online_video.php

NBC's coverage online will be powered by Microsoft Silverlight and
Windows Media player. CNET reports that Limelight Networks is being
used to route the video streams to Internet service providers. NBC was
originally planning to use Adobe's Flash, but CNET noted that NBC "was
convinced by Microsoft earlier this year that Silverlight would allow
it to stream more high-quality video than would have been possible
using Flash."

Now I want to get sick.

All I want to do is watch the international event called the Olympics
with Linux. Can wine come to the rescue? Where is that Chinese link
they talked about?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Art Alexion

On Sunday 10 August 2008 13:34:35 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2008 12:17:58 pm Willy Hamra wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you notice that it's a Microsoft page? :-)
> >
> > Apparently, microsoft still hates us.
> >
> > not that i expected otherwise :-P
> >

> > --
> > Willy K. Hamra
> > Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> > Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.
>
> Its a fitting match, actually. You've got an Orwellian government policing
> what of the Olympics you can see, and you've got an Orwellian company
> policing how you see it.

I assume you are referring to the NBC policy of only showing events where
Americans excel...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM
"Willy Hamra"

> All I want to do is watch the international event called the Olympics
> with Linux. Can wine come to the rescue? Where is that Chinese link
> they talked about?

wine? what about the iexplore.exe that comes with wine? it uses a
gecko engine, but don't know what it reports to the site, it's worth a
try "wine iexplore.exe http://whatever"
can't silverlight be installed in wine's C drive?
sorry for not trying these on my own, but i'm at work currently.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Art Alexion

On Sunday 10 August 2008 13:44:50 Knapp wrote:
> Where is that Chinese link
> they talked about?

Here is english language coverage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/default.stm

Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Derek Broughton

Knapp wrote:

> All I want to do is watch the international event called the Olympics
> with Linux. Can wine come to the rescue? Where is that Chinese link
> they talked about?

Probably _somewhere_ you can watch events available to Linux users. But not
on the Canadian (cbc.ca) site, either.
--
derek

Old 08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/10 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:
> http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0810_hd_swb_hl_l1626r1

You can see what I wrote to them here:
http://dotancohen.com/eng/linux_compatibility.php

I encourage everyone else to write to them as well.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il