Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Tony Sivori

Default Konqueror is very slow to start

After a reboot, Konqueror is very slow to start. Konqueror takes about
three minutes to start. This used to happen only sometimes, but after the
last Konqueror update it now does it every time.

Normal start time for Konqueror is about two seconds. I'm running Kubuntu
8.04 (KDE3.5.9) on a P4 2.4 GHz single core with 2 GB of ram.

I've tried starting Konqueror from the Konsole, but there are no feedback
messages of any kind. All other programs except for Kmail start normally;
when Konqueror acts up it does too.

I've set Konqueror as the default file manager.

I'd like to fix this without a reinstall, or doing anything drastic like
deleting .kde or all of my preferences.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Tony Sivori wrote:
> After a reboot, Konqueror is very slow to start. Konqueror takes about
> three minutes to start. This used to happen only sometimes, but after the
> last Konqueror update it now does it every time.
>
> Normal start time for Konqueror is about two seconds. I'm running Kubuntu
> 8.04 (KDE3.5.9) on a P4 2.4 GHz single core with 2 GB of ram.
>
> I've tried starting Konqueror from the Konsole, but there are no feedback
> messages of any kind. All other programs except for Kmail start normally;
> when Konqueror acts up it does too.
>
> I've set Konqueror as the default file manager.
>
> I'd like to fix this without a reinstall, or doing anything drastic like
> deleting .kde or all of my preferences.
Check your DNS preferences.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 AM
"Juan Kawada"

Are you only using konqueror as a file manager, or do you use it as a browser also? sorry if this is a stupid question, I'd just like to clarify.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Tony Sivori

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:22:22 +0400, Alexander Smirnov wrote:

> Tony Sivori wrote:
>> After a reboot, Konqueror is very slow to start. Konqueror takes about
>> three minutes to start. This used to happen only sometimes, but after
>> the last Konqueror update it now does it every time.

> Check your DNS preferences.

Good thought, considering that Kmail is also affected. But Pan, Adept
Updater, KWeather, and Firefox all work normally. I'm using my ISP's DNS,
which lately has been adequate. Besides, when DNS is down, programs start
normally but I get a "site not found" or "unable to connect" type of error.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Tony Sivori

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:04:11 -0700, Juan Kawada wrote:

> Are you only using konqueror as a file manager, or do you use it as a
> browser also? sorry if this is a stupid question, I'd just like to
> clarify.

Konqueror is my default file manager and web browser. It took me about
five minutes to decide that I want no part of Dolphin in it's current
state of development. I also use Firefox for web browsing, but only on
sites that require Java and Java Script. I have all that junk turned off
in Konqueror for 95% of my web browsing, and the web is a much nicer
place.

Konqueror is my default file manager and web browser. It took me about
five minutes to decide that I want no part of Dolphin in it's current
state of development. I also use Firefox for web browsing, but only on
sites that require Java and Java Script. I have all that junk turned off
in Konqueror for 95% of my web browsing, and the web is a much nicer
place.

Konqueror is slow to start whether I'm trying to open google.com (my home
page) or any random directory.