Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Ray Burke

Default re dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4

Sirs,

*

I am trying to dual boot my current system which is-

1/ Hddo drive c 80gb xp pro sp3

2/ hdd1 drive d 40gb me

so I want instructions on how to make my drive d hdd1 40gb Me
system as replaced with dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4 , thus keeping
my xp pro sp3 on Hdd0 drive c, so I can have a dual boot Hdd0 xp pro sp3
on drive c 80gb and Ubuntu drive d Hdd1 40gb, can you help,
as not sure where I load up the iso disc I made of the Kubuntu/Ubuntu onto what
current systems on either xp pro or Me, and does it pickup that I have two
seperate drives????????????

ray

to the movies Shout your Messenger buddies

Old 08-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Alan

On Saturday 09 August 2008 6:01:21 pm Ray Burke wrote:
> Sirs,
>
> I am trying to dual boot my current system which is-
> 1/ Hddo drive c 80gb xp pro sp3
> 2/ hdd1 drive d 40gb me
> so I want instructions on how to make my drive d hdd1 40gb Mesystem as
> replaced with dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4 , thus keepingmy xp pro
> sp3 on Hdd0 drive c, so I can have a dual boot Hdd0 xp pro sp3on drive c
> 80gb and Ubuntu drive d Hdd1 40gb, can you help,as not sure where I load up
> the iso disc I made of the Kubuntu/Ubuntu onto whatcurrent systems on
> either xp pro or Me, and does it pickup that I have twoseperate
> drives???????????? ray

Very easy to do.
1- Hardware Setup
BACKUP ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP. Write down exactly how everything is connected, masking tape is
useful. Open up your computer and make your ME drive the primary and the XP drive the slave. I am
assuming these are IDE drives. If so don't forget to change the jumper pin between the power
supply and the ribbon. Reboot your machine to make sure that is back together correctly and the 40
gig drive is primary.
If you don't want to do that and have SATA drives, change the boot order in the BIOS to CD, HDD1,
HDD0 so that the disk you want to install *buntu on is first.
2-Software setup
Take your iso file that you made and burn it *at 4X* as an *image*. If you just do a data copy you
will not get a bootable CD but a shiny drink coaster instead. Reboot and install on your 40 gig
(newly) primary hard drive.
Recomended partition sizes
-root (/) - 8 gig at beginning of disk
-swap area - 1 gig at end of disk
-home (/home) - everything else

Linux plays nicely with others, it will recognize other drives. You can even mount your entire XP
drive to be seen and worked with in Kubuntu but that takes a little doing (edit fstab).

There are other ways to get this done but when you use this method there is no need to edit any
files and have it just work. What will happen is that when you start your machine you will go
into 'grub'. That is Ubuntu's boot loader and will give you a list of either Ubuntu (Kubuntu shows
as as ubuntu) or XP to start up. Post again if you need anything else.

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated concept.
If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in life and actually grok it."

Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Ray Burke

GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com,

*

Why do I reverse the drives, as I already can dual boot to the Me o/s 40gb, so as to load the

cdrom of the iso kubuntu 8.0.4,

And I still dont understand the procedures when the kubuntu screen comes up????????

*

ray

*

Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/8/10 Alan <GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com>:
> On Saturday 09 August 2008 6:01:21 pm Ray Burke wrote:
>> Sirs,
>>
>> I am trying to dual boot my current system which is-
>> 1/ Hddo drive c 80gb xp pro sp3
>> 2/ hdd1 drive d 40gb me
>> so I want instructions on how to make my drive d hdd1 40gb Mesystem as
>> replaced with dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4 , thus keepingmy xp pro
>> sp3 on Hdd0 drive c, so I can have a dual boot Hdd0 xp pro sp3on drive c
>> 80gb and Ubuntu drive d Hdd1 40gb, can you help,as not sure where I load up
>> the iso disc I made of the Kubuntu/Ubuntu onto whatcurrent systems on
>> either xp pro or Me, and does it pickup that I have twoseperate
>> drives???????????? ray
>> __________________________________________________ _______________
>
> Very easy to do.
> 1- Hardware Setup
> BACKUP ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP. Write down exactly how everything is connected, masking tape is
> useful. Open up your computer and make your ME drive the primary and the XP drive the slave. I am
> assuming these are IDE drives. If so don't forget to change the jumper pin between the power
> supply and the ribbon. Reboot your machine to make sure that is back together correctly and the 40
> gig drive is primary.
> If you don't want to do that and have SATA drives, change the boot order in the BIOS to CD, HDD1,
> HDD0 so that the disk you want to install *buntu on is first.

If you do this im sure windows will not boot as will not fint the NT
loader and you must change the entries in boot.ini and after that your
C: partition will now be D: or something else and that will mess up
all referense in the register and shortcuts. Thats is just asking for
trouble. Let the drives be as they are and install Ubuntu on your D:
drive that is not a problem for the Ubuntu or the install program.

/ Jonas

Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2008/8/10 Alan <GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com>:
>> On Saturday 09 August 2008 6:01:21 pm Ray Burke wrote:
>>> Sirs,
>>>
>>> I am trying to dual boot my current system which is-
>>> 1/ Hddo drive c 80gb xp pro sp3
>>> 2/ hdd1 drive d 40gb me
>>> so I want instructions on how to make my drive d hdd1 40gb Mesystem as
>>> replaced with dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4 , thus keepingmy xp
>>> pro sp3 on Hdd0 drive c, so I can have a dual boot Hdd0 xp pro sp3on
>>> drive c 80gb and Ubuntu drive d Hdd1 40gb, can you help,as not sure
>>> where I load up the iso disc I made of the Kubuntu/Ubuntu onto
>>> whatcurrent systems on either xp pro or Me, and does it pickup that I
>>> have twoseperate drives???????????? ray
>>> __________________________________________________ _______________
>>
>> Very easy to do.
>> 1- Hardware Setup
>> BACKUP ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP. Write down exactly how everything is
>> connected, masking tape is
>> useful. Open up your computer and make your ME drive the primary and the
>> XP drive the slave. I am
>> assuming these are IDE drives. If so don't forget to change the jumper
>> pin between the power
>> supply and the ribbon. Reboot your machine to make sure that is back
>> together correctly and the 40 gig drive is primary.
>> If you don't want to do that and have SATA drives, change the boot order
>> in the BIOS to CD, HDD1, HDD0 so that the disk you want to install *buntu
>> on is first.
>
> If you do this im sure windows will not boot as will not fint the NT
> loader and you must change the entries in boot.ini and after that your
> C: partition will now be D: or something else and that will mess up
> all referense in the register and shortcuts. Thats is just asking for
> trouble. Let the drives be as they are and install Ubuntu on your D:
> drive that is not a problem for the Ubuntu or the install program.

Not at all a problem. If you want Windows on a second drive or any
partition at all, you can just use the grub "map" command to move it
around. However, I think it's a safe bet that if your primary drive
doesn't have windows, and you boot from a secondary drive, the boot drive
is _still_ always going to be C: as far as Windows cares.
--
derek

Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Billie Walsh

Mesystem as
I load up

If I remember correctly there is an "Advanced" button when it comes time
to tell Kubuntu where to install. The installer will give it's
suggestion to resize one, or both, drives but click on the advanced
button. When the next page opens just tell it to use all of HDD1. Finish
up with th4e installation. Done.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Alan

On Sunday 10 August 2008 2:59:46 am Ray Burke wrote:
> GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com,
>
> Why do I reverse the drives, as I already can dual boot to the Me o/s 40gb,
> so as to load the cdrom of the iso kubuntu 8.0.4,
> And I still dont understand the procedures when the kubuntu screen comes
> up????????

When you install the new operating system, the autoloader (grub) will automatically be put on the
same disk. *In order to get windows to recognize your new kubuntu takes a lot of doing and may not
be worth the trouble. *If you install kubuntu on the primary disk, it goes a lot smoother and you
are up and running quickly. *It is the way I have done it many times before and I have never had any
problems. *It may be that grub would be installed on the primary hdd anyway, that is something I
will have to check out since I have never done it that way. *Does somebody else has any experience
with this? *
Do you mean that you are not sure about the steps to install? *I am not too sure what you mean by
procedures. *If you could explain it a little more, I'd be glad to try and help you out.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Monday 11 August 2008 01:25, Alan wrote:
> When you install the new operating system, the autoloader (grub) will
> automatically be put on the same disk.
No, I belive grub will normally be installed on the MBR (master boot record)
of the primary disk.

> In order to get windows to recognize your new kubuntu takes a lot of doing
and may not
> be worth the trouble.
Windows does not have to recognise your new kubuntu, it is only the bios that
has to find grub (first) and it is not so much trouble.
> If you install kubuntu on the primary disk, it goes a lot smoother and you
> are up and running quickly. It is the way I have done it many times before
and I have never had any
> problems.
I always installed Linux on the second drive when I had one, straight "out of
the box" and never had any special manipulation to do.

> It may be that grub would be installed on the primary hdd anyway,
Yes, and that is the reason you should not (re)install M$ after Linux
installation, because M$ will overwrite your grub, whereas Linux will detect
M$ bootloader and somehow integrate it.
(It is always possible to recover from a spoiled bootloader but it takes some
know how and bootable Linux CD and possibly M$ CD to restore booting it...)

> that is something I
> will have to check out since I have never done it that way. Does somebody
else has any experience
> with this?
Grub (or Lilo) installation gives you the choice of where to install it. The
first time I tried I installed it on a floppy because I was too afraid of
destroying my MBR and loosing windows.
IIRC (that was long ago) grub can also be installed on the secondary drive but
in that case you have to instruct the bios to make it the first booting
partition... the added benefit is if you have to bring your machine back to
the store for repair or something you could just restore the bios to the
original setting (and better remove the extra disk) There have been some
complaints on this list about how vendors would wipe out your HD (and Linux)
and return your computer in its pristine condition.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #137: User was distributing pornography on server; system seized
by FBI

Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

I don't have a fundamental objection agains private mails but I think it is
still better in this case to keep this topic in the list (they can correct me
if I go wrong)

On Monday 11 August 2008 22:35, you wrote:
> I mean I do not understand the steps to load in Kubuntu?
When you install it from the live or alternate CD (hope that is still relevant
for 8.04 because I never tried it) you will be asked where to install, and
perhaps where to place grub.
Does that answer your question?
> also I dual boot
No binary choice there, "dual" boot is just a shorthand for "plural" boot...
Grub will be installed somewhere and give you all the available choices if you
have more than 2.
> at the moment with the primary drive as Hddo(drive c) xp pro sp3 and
> secondary hdd1 (drive d) as Me o/s, so wouldnt I dual boot to show Me o/s
> on drive d Hdd1 and install kubuntu on this drive, as I only want to
> replace my Me o/s with Kubuntu,
You then *have* to install Kubuntu where Me o/s is.
> but keep xp pro sp3 as my dual boot
> ?????????
Grub will notice there are only 2 systems left, your xp and the new Linux, and
will make entries for those. That's what it (or Lilo) always did to me.
Of course it always better to make a backup of your most important data in
case something goes wrong (and I take no responsabilities) ... but I don't
expect any problems.

To be on the safe side, check what I said in my previous answer, if it is
possible to change the booting order in the BIOS to hdd1 and if it is
possible to place grub there.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #232: Ionization from the air-conditioning

Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Alan

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 2:16:12 pm Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> I don't have a fundamental objection agains private mails but I think it is
> still better in this case to keep this topic in the list (they can correct
> me if I go wrong)
>
> On Monday 11 August 2008 22:35, you wrote:
> > I mean I do not understand the steps to load in Kubuntu?
>
> When you install it from the live or alternate CD (hope that is still
> relevant for 8.04 because I never tried it) you will be asked where to
> install, and perhaps where to place grub.
> Does that answer your question?
>
> > also I dual boot
>
> No binary choice there, "dual" boot is just a shorthand for "plural"
> boot... Grub will be installed somewhere and give you all the available
> choices if you have more than 2.
>
> > at the moment with the primary drive as Hddo(drive c) xp pro sp3 and
> > secondary hdd1 (drive d) as Me o/s, so wouldnt I dual boot to show Me o/s
> > on drive d Hdd1 and install kubuntu on this drive, as I only want to
> > replace my Me o/s with Kubuntu,
>
> You then *have* to install Kubuntu where Me o/s is.
>
> > but keep xp pro sp3 as my dual boot
> > ?????????
>
> Grub will notice there are only 2 systems left, your xp and the new Linux,
> and will make entries for those. That's what it (or Lilo) always did to me.
> Of course it always better to make a backup of your most important data in
> case something goes wrong (and I take no responsabilities) ... but I don't
> expect any problems.
>
> To be on the safe side, check what I said in my previous answer, if it is
> possible to change the booting order in the BIOS to hdd1 and if it is
> possible to place grub there.
>
> Perry
>
> --
> BOFH excuse #232: Ionization from the air-conditioning

I agree, I just got home and realized that I replied off list when I couldn't find the post I sent!
By the way, thanks for the grub info. I was installing kubuntu in virtualbox as I was writing the
howto and when I got to that part I saw what you were talking about. I never changed it before.

Alan