Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Knapp

Default Solved: SSH troubles

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Knapp wrote:
>>> To get into my computer from my own computer I need use sudo if I
>>> dont' I get this (look down) and if I do I get in but it asked for my
>>> password and I thought with public keys this would not happen. How do
>>> I make this right??
>>>
>>> douglas@frog:~$ ssh douglas@journeytothestars.webhop.net
>>> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
>>> @ WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED! @
>>> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
>>> The RSA host key for journeytothestars.webhop.net has changed,
>>> and the key for the according IP address 91.51.118.15
>>> is unknown. This could either mean that
>>> DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
>>> and its host key have changed at the same time.
>>
>> I suppose you are a victim of the ssl/ssh vulnerability of May '08. For
>> details look here:
>>
>> <http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-2>
>> <http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-5>
>> <http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-7>
>>

>> Nils
>
> Looked over that and got this output which looks ok to me. I cut out
> most of the middle of those long string of hex digits because I was
> not sure if they are private.
> I don't think this is the problem. On the other hand why do I have so
> many of them listed? Something is funky but I am still at a loss as to
> what.
>
> douglas@frog:~/Desktop$ sudo ssh-vulnkey -a
> [sudo] password for douglas:
> Not blacklisted: 2048 ea:d6 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
> Not blacklisted: 1024 89:73 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
> Not blacklisted: 2048 21:c9 /home/douglas/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
> Not blacklisted: 2048 21:c9 douglas@frog
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

Got it working by unistalling SSH and then removing all .ssh and other
related files and reinstalling.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 09 August 2008, Knapp wrote:
> Got it working by unistalling SSH and then removing all .ssh and other
> related files and reinstalling.

Don't think you had to do that but what the heck......

Usually that error occurs when you have changed something in the network...
for instance installing a new release.

All it means is that the data involved no longer matches up.

Deleting the 'known_hosts" file from the ~/.ssh directory would most likely
have fixed the problem. And then re-gen your key setup.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Derek Broughton

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Saturday 09 August 2008, Knapp wrote:
>> Got it working by unistalling SSH and then removing all .ssh and other
>> related files and reinstalling.
>
> Don't think you had to do that but what the heck......

Agree (including the "what the heck" :-) )

> Usually that error occurs when you have changed something in the
> network... for instance installing a new release.
>
> All it means is that the data involved no longer matches up.

Or he installed the fix for the ssh vulnerability, which iirc invalidated
all the host keys.
--
derek

Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Knapp

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Bruce Marshall wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 09 August 2008, Knapp wrote:
>>> Got it working by unistalling SSH and then removing all .ssh and other
>>> related files and reinstalling.
>>
>> Don't think you had to do that but what the heck......
>
> Agree (including the "what the heck" :-) )
>
>> Usually that error occurs when you have changed something in the
>> network... for instance installing a new release.
>>
>> All it means is that the data involved no longer matches up.
>
> Or he installed the fix for the ssh vulnerability, which iirc invalidated
> all the host keys.
> --
> derek

All I can add to this is that my computer is almost always up to date
with the updates of all kinds.

--
Douglas E Knapp