Old 08-09-2008, 12:19 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Default virtualbox installation

the #vbox channel seems to be almost dead. here's my question, i'm new
to vbox, i installed virtualbox-ose, now i need the kernel module. so i
need virtualbox-ose-modules* , what is the difference between those
ending in 386, generic, openvz, rd etc... ?
i'm running a 32 bit host BTW
and what are virtualbox-ose-guest-modules* used for?
thanks in advance

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 08-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Joan Tur

Es Dissabte, 9 de Agost de 2008, en Willy K. Hamra va escriure:
| the #vbox channel seems to be almost dead. here's my question, i'm new
| to vbox, i installed virtualbox-ose, now i need the kernel module. so i
| need virtualbox-ose-modules* , what is the difference between those
| ending in 386, generic, openvz, rd etc... ?
| i'm running a 32 bit host BTW

You have to install the virtualbox-ose-modules package matching your running
kernel; run "uname -r", then "aptitude install
virtualbox-ose-guest-modules-2.6.24-20-generic" (or the one matching the info
provided by the above "uname -r" command.

| and what are virtualbox-ose-guest-modules* used for?
| thanks in advance

Are you going to run a windows guest? If so, you're not going to need those
packages installed.

Hope that helps

--
Joan Tur (aka Quini), Eivissa-Spain
Jabber: quini2k@jabber.org

Old 08-09-2008, 04:38 PM
GrokIt

On Saturday 09 August 2008 8:19:35 am Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> the #vbox channel seems to be almost dead. here's my question, i'm new
> to vbox, i installed virtualbox-ose, now i need the kernel module. so i
> need virtualbox-ose-modules* , what is the difference between those
> ending in 386, generic, openvz, rd etc... ?
> i'm running a 32 bit host BTW
> and what are virtualbox-ose-guest-modules* used for?
> thanks in advance

I'm not a whiz with vbox but I have gotten it up and running so take what I say with a grain of
salt The packages ending with 386, generic, etc are for the type of computer you have. I'd try
the -generic packages to start with, that should work just fine. I believe the way to do it is by
installing virtualbox-ose-guest-modules-generic. Just check that the same types in all your
packages. Once you have them all working you can pretty much forget about them, unless you want to
install it from source from the vbox website.

This is a list of packages that should be installed (with the 2.6.24.20 kernel):
virtualbox
virtualbox-ose-guest-modules-2.6.24.20-generic
virtualbox-ose-guest-modules-generic
virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24.20-generic
virtualbox-ose-modules-generic

Once you have a new OS up and running you will want to install the vbox additions. This is what the
guest modules are for. It lets you resize the window the guest OS is running in to whatever fits
on your monitor, allow nearly seamless integration into your desktop by pressing ctrl-L, and let
your mouse go in and out of the virtual machine without pressing the right ctrl key. Click on
Devices --> Install Guest Additions. It will mount VBoxGuestAdditons.iso. In a windows guest,
open My Computer, go to the cd drive and run VBoxGuestAdditions.exe. In a linux guest, open a
terminal, cd to the mount point and run this as root "sh -i VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" without the
quotes.

Have fun!

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated concept.
If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in life and actually grok it."

Old 08-09-2008, 07:24 PM
"Willy Hamra"

thanks Joan and GrokIt for your answers. i never gave any importance
to the woed generic in my kernel, i always assumed that the number
(2.6.24-20) is enough to describe what kernel i have, apparently there
is other kernels.
and the guest modules something like vmware tools as far as i understand.
vbox looks promising, and i noticed how lighter it is, as someone on
the list once mentioned, having some problems with networking, but
nothing that can't be solved.
thanks

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 09 August 2008, Willy Hamra wrote:
> thanks Joan and GrokIt for your answers. i never gave any importance
> to the woed generic in my kernel, i always assumed that the number
> (2.6.24-20) is enough to describe what kernel i have, apparently there
> is other kernels.
> and the guest modules something like vmware tools as far as i understand.
> vbox looks promising, and i noticed how lighter it is, as someone on
> the list once mentioned, having some problems with networking, but
> nothing that can't be solved.
> thanks
>
> --
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

One thing that might get you the module you need would be:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

This will create a couple of modules and needs to be run whenever the kernel
is changed. (or initially possibly)

However, I am running vbox as downloaded from Sun so YMMV.