Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Knapp

Default SSH troubles

To get into my computer from my own computer I need use sudo if I
dont' I get this (look down) and if I do I get in but it asked for my
password and I thought with public keys this would not happen. How do
I make this right??

douglas@frog:~$ ssh douglas@journeytothestars.webhop.net
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
The RSA host key for journeytothestars.webhop.net has changed,
and the key for the according IP address 91.51.118.15
is unknown. This could either mean that
DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
and its host key have changed at the same time.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
a2:c1:1e:3c:b8:4a:a3:f8:bd:1d:8c:b6:00:ad:ea:d6.
Add correct host key in /home/douglas/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of
this message.
Offending key in /home/douglas/.ssh/known_hosts:4
RSA host key for journeytothestars.webhop.net has changed and you have
requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

douglas@frog:~$ sudo ssh douglas@journeytothestars.webhop.net
Ubuntu 8.04.1
douglas@journeytothestars.webhop.net's password:
. . . welcome all is good etc.. .

Also this happens, why??

douglas@frog:~$ ssh douglas@localhost

Because I posted this I am closing port 22 so don't expect that to
work if you are testing something.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Nils Kassube

Knapp wrote:
> To get into my computer from my own computer I need use sudo if I
> dont' I get this (look down) and if I do I get in but it asked for my
> password and I thought with public keys this would not happen. How do
> I make this right??
>
> douglas@frog:~$ ssh douglas@journeytothestars.webhop.net
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
> @ WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED! @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
> The RSA host key for journeytothestars.webhop.net has changed,
> and the key for the according IP address 91.51.118.15
> is unknown. This could either mean that
> DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
> and its host key have changed at the same time.

I suppose you are a victim of the ssl/ssh vulnerability of May '08. For
details look here:

<http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-2>
<http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-5>
<http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-7>

Nils

Old 08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Knapp

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> To get into my computer from my own computer I need use sudo if I
>> dont' I get this (look down) and if I do I get in but it asked for my
>> password and I thought with public keys this would not happen. How do
>> I make this right??
>>
>> douglas@frog:~$ ssh douglas@journeytothestars.webhop.net
>> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
>> @ WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED! @
>> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
>> The RSA host key for journeytothestars.webhop.net has changed,
>> and the key for the according IP address 91.51.118.15
>> is unknown. This could either mean that
>> DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
>> and its host key have changed at the same time.
>
> I suppose you are a victim of the ssl/ssh vulnerability of May '08. For
> details look here:
>
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-2>
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-5>
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-7>
>

> Nils

Looked over that and got this output which looks ok to me. I cut out
most of the middle of those long string of hex digits because I was
not sure if they are private.
I don't think this is the problem. On the other hand why do I have so
many of them listed? Something is funky but I am still at a loss as to
what.

douglas@frog:~/Desktop$ sudo ssh-vulnkey -a
[sudo] password for douglas:
Not blacklisted: 2048 ea:d6 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
Not blacklisted: 1024 89:73 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
Not blacklisted: 2048 21:c9 /home/douglas/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
Not blacklisted: 2048 21:c9 douglas@frog

Thanks,

--
Douglas E Knapp