Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 PM
GrokIt

Default My Ibex is virtually panicking!

* I want to check out Intrepid but I do not want to install it on my only machine since I go to
college online. *I do not have enough hard drive space to make another partition to install it on
so I decided that I would make a virtual machine. *I use the latest version of VirtualBox on
Kubuntu 8.04. *My problem is that every time I try to install 8.10 I get a kernel panic. *Here is
what I did and got the same problem with each using Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and the alternate version. *
* * * * Downloaded the iso file. *MD5 sum is correct. *Made a new virtual machine. *Panic from iso
as boot disk after I try to install. *Burn disk at 4X to use as a boot disk and yes I did that
correctly. *Make a new virtual machine. *Panic from CD as boot disk after I try to install. *I also
get a kernel panic when I try to check the CD's or iso's for defects. *Memtest works fine but that
doesn't use the kernel, I think.
* * * * I have a couple of virtual machines from DOS 6.2 to XP, Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4, and a few
other linux distros so I know how to work with Vbox. *I know how to edit files inside an iso, if
that would fix this. *I've been on *buntu for almost a year, use AIX at work and overcame heinous
upgrade and nvidia problems (envy is a godsend, thank you Alberto!) so I guess I've graduated from
noob. *I can't find anything useful about this on the internets and I have no chickens for
voodoo. *If anyone has some ideas I would love to try them out. I can't wait until October :-(

Alan Dacey (GrokIt)
--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated concept.
If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in life and actually grok it."

Old 08-14-2008, 12:05 PM

* * * * I want to check
out Intrepid but I do not want to install it on my only machine since I
go to

college online. *I do not have enough hard drive space to make another
partition to install it on

so I decided that I would make a virtual machine. *I use the latest
version of VirtualBox on

Kubuntu 8.04. *My problem is that every time I try to install 8.10
I get a kernel panic. *Here is

what I did and got the same problem with each using Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and
the alternate CD's. *

[...]

* * * * - author unknown

Things I grok: 0

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.