FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

Ok, I've posted a few times to this list my utter disgust at the state of
KDE v4.0. I feel that it is only fair that I also post my initial reaction to
4.1.

My first reaction while KDE 4.1 was starting up was that the background is
very, very nice. I know that is fluff but as pretty as the Gnome background
is in 8.04 I felt it was a shame that KUbuntu did not have an equally striking
background. KDE 4.1's background is absolutely spot on. Subdued and not busy
enough to work as a wallpaper, striking in its lines and colors. I love it.

Next up is the panel. Previously I was quite upset that simlpe things
like moving items on the panel was not included. That has been rectified.
Items are now movable so one doesn't have to know the secret handshake to get
items placed where desired on the panel. Also the method of locating the
panel and sizing it is quite intuative.

I am still cold to the whole "plasmoid" thing. Seriously, they're
applications inside non-standard window controls. Requires the user to noodle
out non-standard way of manipulating them and they're, by and large, a waste
of screen real-estate. I honestly don't see why these are supposed to be the
hottest thing since sliced bread nor why so much time is going into developing
the framework when it is of little to no benefit and obvious non-intuative
duplication of controls.

All-in-all KDE4.0 was utter crap. KDE4.1 is a huge step in the right
direction. It is nominally usable now. Meaning once I replaced the idiot
menu with the functional one (which is still graphically buggy) the system is
to a level where one can perform basic functions.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.
-------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:19 PM
"p.daniels"
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

On Friday August 8 2008 12:50:30 Steve C. Lamb wrote:

> I am still cold to the whole "plasmoid" thing. Seriously, they're

> applications inside non-standard window controls.



No they're not. They're widget containers that can house almost any kind of widget written in most any language, and put it anywhere on the screen(s). Put widgets on the desktop, put widgets on only desktops 2 and 3, put widgets in the panel on odd-numbered desktops, put widgets in widgets. (That last is exactly what you're doing when you put something in the panel on KDE4; putting a widget container in a widget container.) The concept and the code are still very much works in progress, but that's exciting stuff. But wait there's more; eventual plans include real integration with KDE applications, so you could (for instance) drag the icon for your inbox out of Kontact's window onto the desktop or onto a panel and viola! Your inbox is now a plamoid. This is cool stuff.



> Requires the user to

> noodle out non-standard way of manipulating them and they're, by and large,

> a waste of screen real-estate. I honestly don't see why these are supposed

> to be the hottest thing since sliced bread nor why so much time is going

> into developing the framework when it is of little to no benefit and

> obvious non-intuative duplication of controls.



I agree with the critique on the controls. It's gone through a couple iterations so far, and there's definitely still work to be done. Frankly I could do without the sidebar controls altogether if they'd just put Resize and Rotate in the right-click menu.



-p.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:23 PM
"p.daniels"
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

On Friday August 8 2008 13:19:08 I wrote:

> No they're not. They're widget containers that can house almost any kind of

> widget written in most any language, and put it anywhere on the screen(s).

> Put widgets on the desktop, put widgets on only desktops 2 and 3, put

> widgets in the panel on odd-numbered desktops, put widgets in widgets.

> (That last is exactly what you're doing when you put something in the panel

> on KDE4; putting a widget container in a widget container.) The concept and

> the code are still very much works in progress, but that's exciting stuff.

> But wait there's more; eventual plans include real integration with KDE

> applications, so you could (for instance) drag the icon for your inbox out

> of Kontact's window onto the desktop or onto a panel and viola! Your inbox

> is now a plamoid. This is cool stuff.



Replying to myself, on the subject of interesting use-cases. Seems this guy

has written a hack that turns any running app into a Plasmoid. Neat idea.



http://ksvladimir.blogspot.com/2008/06/converting-any-window-into-

plasmoid.html



-p.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Billie Walsh
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

On 08/08/2008 Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> I honestly don't see why these are supposed to be the
> hottest thing since sliced bread nor why so much time is going into
> developing
> the framework when it is of little to no benefit and obvious
> non-intuative
> duplication of controls.

Koz Winders has'em.

--
Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

p.daniels wrote:

> you could (for instance) drag the
> icon for your inbox out of Kontact's window onto the desktop or onto a
> panel and viola! Your inbox is now a plamoid. This is cool stuff.

It will take a while, but at KDE 9.1, they expect to turn your head into a
plasmoid :-)

--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:19:08PM -0500, p.daniels wrote:
> On Friday August 8 2008 12:50:30 Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> > I am still cold to the whole "plasmoid" thing. Seriously, they're
> > applications inside non-standard window controls.

> No they're not. They're widget containers that can house almost any kind of
> widget written in most any language, and put it anywhere on the screen(s).

This is different than what a WM does how, exactly? The WM puts a fraim
around a widget, er, application written in most any language and puts it
anywhere on the screens.

> Put widgets on the desktop, put widgets on only desktops 2 and 3, put
> widgets in the panel on odd-numbered desktops, put widgets in widgets.

This is different than me putting applications on only desktops 2 and 3
how, exactly? Same thing.

> applications, so you could (for instance) drag the icon for your inbox out
> of Kontact's window onto the desktop or onto a panel and viola! Your inbox
> is now a plamoid. This is cool stuff.

Yes, yes, and pie-in-the-sky boredom, really. Let me know when I can
finally integrate vim into KMail. I don't are to see my inbox on my desktop,
but having my editor embedded into clients is golden. Something that parts
were supposed to do 10 years ago.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.
-------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Pastor JW
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

On Friday 08 August 2008 10:50:30 am Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> Ok, I've posted a few times to this list my utter disgust at the state
> of KDE v4.0. I feel that it is only fair that I also post my initial
> reaction to 4.1.
>
> My first reaction while KDE 4.1 was starting up was that the background
> is very, very nice. I know that is fluff but as pretty as the Gnome
> background is in 8.04 I felt it was a shame that KUbuntu did not have an
> equally striking background. KDE 4.1's background is absolutely spot on.
> Subdued and not busy enough to work as a wallpaper, striking in its lines
> and colors. I love it.

You know, I have never used a default background, they NEVER match my mood,
but this one came up when I installed 4.1. It is what I am using in 3.5 so
I guess 4.1 uses the same file?




--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Kde 4.1 thoughts
From: "Steve C. Lamb" <grey@dmiyu.org>
To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Date: 08/08/2008 10:50 AM

Ok, I've posted a few times to this list my utter disgust at the state of
KDE v4.0. I feel that it is only fair that I also post my initial reaction to
4.1.

My first reaction while KDE 4.1 was starting up was that the background is
very, very nice. I know that is fluff but as pretty as the Gnome background
is in 8.04 I felt it was a shame that KUbuntu did not have an equally striking
background. KDE 4.1's background is absolutely spot on. Subdued and not busy
enough to work as a wallpaper, striking in its lines and colors. I love it.

Next up is the panel. Previously I was quite upset that simlpe things
like moving items on the panel was not included. That has been rectified.
Items are now movable so one doesn't have to know the secret handshake to get
items placed where desired on the panel. Also the method of locating the
panel and sizing it is quite intuative.

I am still cold to the whole "plasmoid" thing. Seriously, they're
applications inside non-standard window controls. Requires the user to noodle
out non-standard way of manipulating them and they're, by and large, a waste
of screen real-estate. I honestly don't see why these are supposed to be the
hottest thing since sliced bread nor why so much time is going into developing
the framework when it is of little to no benefit and obvious non-intuative
duplication of controls.

All-in-all KDE4.0 was utter crap. KDE4.1 is a huge step in the right
direction. It is nominally usable now. Meaning once I replaced the idiot
menu with the functional one (which is still graphically buggy) the system is
to a level where one can perform basic functions.


While I basically agree with Steve, I am not as adamant about it. KDE
4.0 was exactly what it was advertised to be. They set expectations and
met them. It was totally unusable but gave us a glimpse of where it was
going. It was, at best, very interesting.


KDE 4.1 is still very much a work in progress and is still being
represented as such. Nobody is saying it is done or even close to done.
What is impressive about 4.1 is the delta between it and 4.0. A "step"
in the right direction is a huge understatement. KDE 4.1 has the
potential to actually be useful. It is much more stable and the ability
to customize the interface is improving daily. It is close enough that I
am teetering on the brink of switching. It is almost ripe enough to be
sweet.


The jury is still out for me on the whole "Plasmoid" thing. I have
tinkered with them and so far, I have not found anything valuable enough
to dedicate any work space for. That does not make them bad or useless.
It just means that for me they have yet to show their value. Time will
tell if this changes.


I, like most of us, am still looking for a few features to appear. If I
have any frustration at all it would be centered on the interface
mimicking Vista too closely. I don't like Windows. It is why I use
Linux. I do not like the new start button. Truth is I did not much care
for the old start button. In 3.5.9 I configured my desktop so that a
right-click brings up the application menu. A Left-Click brings up the
running application list. Center-click brings up the desktop
configuration menu. This allowed me to remove the start button and task
list from my panel. These functions now take zero space and are still
very handy. KDE4.1 does not have this ability yet.


I also miss the quick-start panel. I keep my top 4-6 applications there.
I have seen that someone is writing a widget that does this but at last
gander they did not have it working for 4.1 yet.


For me it is getting down to the little things. Soon the bulk of what I
want will reach critical mass and I will tip over to 4.1. I am actually
hoping that will happen sooner than later.


--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2008 10:50:30 am Steve C. Lamb wrote:
>> Ok, I've posted a few times to this list my utter disgust at the state
>> of KDE v4.0. I feel that it is only fair that I also post my initial
>> reaction to 4.1.
>>
>> My first reaction while KDE 4.1 was starting up was that the background
>> is very, very nice. I know that is fluff but as pretty as the Gnome
>> background is in 8.04 I felt it was a shame that KUbuntu did not have an
>> equally striking background. KDE 4.1's background is absolutely spot on.
>> Subdued and not busy enough to work as a wallpaper, striking in its lines
>> and colors. I love it.
>
> You know, I have never used a default background, they NEVER match my mood,
> but this one came up when I installed 4.1. It is what I am using in 3.5 so
> I guess 4.1 uses the same file?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

the "as night falls" pic, i love this one, have it on both KDEs.
i liked the KDE 4.1 default pic, which happens to be the same as the
default background of kdm-kde4, those curves. just amazing
the same file? you mean you want to use your KDE 3.5 pics in KDE4? you
will need to copy them from

$HOME/.kde/share/wallpapers
to
$HOME/.kde4/share/wallpapers

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Pastor JW
 
Default Kde 4.1 thoughts

On Friday 05 September 2008 03:51:28 am Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Friday 08 August 2008 10:50:30 am Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> >> Ok, I've posted a few times to this list my utter disgust at the
> >> state of KDE v4.0. I feel that it is only fair that I also post my
> >> initial reaction to 4.1.
> >>
> >> My first reaction while KDE 4.1 was starting up was that the
> >> background is very, very nice. I know that is fluff but as pretty as
> >> the Gnome background is in 8.04 I felt it was a shame that KUbuntu did
> >> not have an equally striking background. KDE 4.1's background is
> >> absolutely spot on. Subdued and not busy enough to work as a wallpaper,
> >> striking in its lines and colors. I love it.
> >
> > You know, I have never used a default background, they NEVER match my
> > mood, but this one came up when I installed 4.1. It is what I am using
> > in 3.5 so I guess 4.1 uses the same file?
>
>
> the "as night falls" pic, i love this one, have it on both KDEs.
> i liked the KDE 4.1 default pic, which happens to be the same as the
> default background of kdm-kde4, those curves. just amazing
> the same file? you mean you want to use your KDE 3.5 pics in KDE4?

No, the screen was showing 4.1 with the background I use. I sent this quite
awhile ago! I guess it was held for awhile to check the attachment.
Actually I never installed it to 4.1 but it is the background I have on
3.9.10 and when I went into KDE 4.1 it was there. I also have a blue
background on Gnome but I never really go there except to show people the
different desktops available on this machine. People can't believe this OS
doesn't cost! Just finished setting up my seventh Dell Ubuntu preinstalled
laptop with Kubuntu-desktop! They all came about because of my demonstations
with my machine! The Vista users were the most amazed; made their language
and even their appearance way better! They start smiling and had spring in
their step! They became whole new people!



--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org