Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Donn

Default man pages

On Friday, 08 August 2008 15:42:53 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
> the user's needs in a graphical environment.
Try reading them via Konqueror (maybe Dolphin too?)
Type "man: command" in the address bar.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Donn wrote:
> On Friday, 08 August 2008 15:42:53 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>> man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
>> the user's needs in a graphical environment.
> Try reading them via Konqueror (maybe Dolphin too?)
> Type "man: command" in the address bar.

thanks, i already know this, but my point is that these man pages are
written for the command line programs. GUI applications rarely have man
pages, they have help files, but most of them are too short and some
contain nothing but a brief description of the program.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Glenn R Williams

FYI: The man:command works in Konqueror, but not in Dolphin as far as I can
tell.

Glenn

Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Billie Walsh

Donn wrote:
> On Friday, 08 August 2008 15:42:53 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>
>> man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
>> the user's needs in a graphical environment.
>>
> Try reading them via Konqueror (maybe Dolphin too?)
> Type "man: command" in the address bar.

I hope any programmers here don't take this wrong. You guys do great
stuff at what your best at. BUT, most times programmers aren't the best
at writing up the instructions for the software you write.

Like "man" pages. They assume a knowledge base that some just don't
have. I know I don't. Most man pages are just gibberish for me. I
haven't a clue what half the stuff they're telling me is, or does.

The same goes or many of the "wiki" pages that I find. They are written
by people that find it second nature to do what their trying to tell
other what to do. If you don't have the knowledge base necessary it is
nearly impossible to decipher.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 PM

On Friday 08 August 2008 16:18:40 Billie Walsh wrote:
> Most man pages are just gibberish for me. I
> haven't a clue what half the stuff they're telling me is, or does.
>
> The same goes or many of the "wiki" pages that I find. They are
> written by people that find it second nature to do what their
> trying to tell other what to do. If you don't have the knowledge
> base necessary it is nearly impossible to decipher.

That makes two of us then ;-)

I don't and haven't programmed but I do remember my first lesson, it
was to "program" the cooking of an egg. It taught us to assume
nothing and describe every step.

I too often flounder following man or command line lines.

Andrew

Old 08-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Knapp

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> Donn wrote:
>> On Friday, 08 August 2008 15:42:53 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>>
>>> man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
>>> the user's needs in a graphical environment.
>>>
>> Try reading them via Konqueror (maybe Dolphin too?)
>> Type "man: command" in the address bar.

> I hope any programmers here don't take this wrong. You guys do great
> stuff at what your best at. BUT, most times programmers aren't the best
> at writing up the instructions for the software you write.
>
> Like "man" pages. They assume a knowledge base that some just don't
> have. I know I don't. Most man pages are just gibberish for me. I
> haven't a clue what half the stuff they're telling me is, or does.
>
> The same goes or many of the "wiki" pages that I find. They are written
> by people that find it second nature to do what their trying to tell
> other what to do. If you don't have the knowledge base necessary it is
> nearly impossible to decipher.

I could not agree more! I just got a man page about a perlin noise
function. You can understand it unless you understand what and how
perlin does it's thing. A bit circluar as are most manuals. Or the
other ones that say that the close application button closes the
application.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-09-2008, 01:44 AM
John Heinen

Billie Walsh wrote:
> Donn wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 08 August 2008 15:42:53 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>>

>>> man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
>>> the user's needs in a graphical environment.
>>>

>> Try reading them via Konqueror (maybe Dolphin too?)
>> Type "man: command" in the address bar.

> I hope any programmers here don't take this wrong. You guys do great
> stuff at what your best at. BUT, most times programmers aren't the best
> at writing up the instructions for the software you write.
>
> Like "man" pages. They assume a knowledge base that some just don't
> have. I know I don't. Most man pages are just gibberish for me. I
> haven't a clue what half the stuff they're telling me is, or does.
>
> The same goes or many of the "wiki" pages that I find. They are written
> by people that find it second nature to do what their trying to tell
> other what to do. If you don't have the knowledge base necessary it is
> nearly impossible to decipher.

I second JOHN H

Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Art Alexion

On Friday 08 August 2008 11:18:40 Billie Walsh wrote:
> Donn wrote:
> > On Friday, 08 August 2008 15:42:53 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> >> man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
> >> the user's needs in a graphical environment.
> >
> > Try reading them via Konqueror (maybe Dolphin too?)
> > Type "man: command" in the address bar.

> I hope any programmers here don't take this wrong. You guys do great
> stuff at what your best at. BUT, most times programmers aren't the best
> at writing up the instructions for the software you write.
>
> Like "man" pages. They assume a knowledge base that some just don't
> have. I know I don't. Most man pages are just gibberish for me. I
> haven't a clue what half the stuff they're telling me is, or does.
>
> The same goes or many of the "wiki" pages that I find. They are written
> by people that find it second nature to do what their trying to tell
> other what to do. If you don't have the knowledge base necessary it is
> nearly impossible to decipher.

I find the best way of dealing with complex man pages is to print them.

man -t <command> | lpr

sends a nicely formated and readable page to your default printer. Read and
study what you need. Keep as a reference.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 AM
randall

hi all,

lately i've been practicing my skills a little on building basic
websites and yesterday i had little to day so decided to re-build the
ubuntu manpages web site and adjust it a little so it a can be used with
debian.
we all know manpages.debian.net but that site, although useful is not
browseable by google since it cgi generates its pages when asked for,
manpages.ubuntu.com on the other hand has a lot of indexable .html files.

so, one lazy afternoon and http://manpages.songshu.org was born (it
still needs a little love though)
here's the question, the whole thing relies heavily on google which is
not necessarily a bad thing but the build in google custom search engine
often displays ads when showing the results.

anybody know how to disable that? or is it just a thing that comes when
using a google app for such a thing, any advises on a alternate search
function?

p.s.

not sure if this site could prove useful to debian as a whole but i'll
take it down after a month or two unless it receives a lot of hits, so
let me know if anybody would want all the releases included or would
like to see some added cool functionality and sent some incoming links
if you think this site is useful

--

www.songshu.org
Just another collection of nuts