Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 AM
randall

Default man pages

hi all,

lately i've been practicing my skills a little on building basic
websites and yesterday i had little to day so decided to re-build the
ubuntu manpages web site and adjust it a little so it a can be used with
debian.
we all know manpages.debian.net but that site, although useful is not
browseable by google since it cgi generates its pages when asked for,
manpages.ubuntu.com on the other hand has a lot of indexable .html files.

so, one lazy afternoon and http://manpages.songshu.org was born (it
still needs a little love though)
here's the question, the whole thing relies heavily on google which is
not necessarily a bad thing but the build in google custom search engine
often displays ads when showing the results.

anybody know how to disable that? or is it just a thing that comes when
using a google app for such a thing, any advises on a alternate search
function?

p.s.

not sure if this site could prove useful to debian as a whole but i'll
take it down after a month or two unless it receives a lot of hits, so
let me know if anybody would want all the releases included or would
like to see some added cool functionality and sent some incoming links
if you think this site is useful

--

www.songshu.org
Just another collection of nuts

Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 AM
randall

randall wrote:

[...]

sorry for bumping my own post,

anybody knows a good search engine without any adds you can install
locally your site that indexes the content of your html pages ?

p.s.

how long does it take for google to index 76.000 pages ?

Old 03-14-2009, 06:27 PM
David Fox

> anybody knows a good search engine without any adds you can install locally
> your site that indexes the content of your html pages ?

Have you looked at swish (swish++ or swish-e, swish-e-dev) in the
repositories? I know people who use that to index stuff, and it's
pretty fast.

> how long does it take for google to index 76.000 pages ?

Not very long, I suspect .

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.