Old 08-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Alain Muls

Default kontact (KDEv4.1) and Google Calendar

Hi Kubuntu-users

I am trying to make a switch from HH KDEv3.5 to HH KDEv4.1.
I managed to convert my thunderbird mail and address book to kontact with only
very minor problems. A first question is the following: is the information in
the address book used throughout all KDE programs, eg Kopete?

Another problem I have not solved is how to access a Google Calendar I use
into kontact. How does one synchronize the korganizer calendar with the Google
calendar?

Tx/Alain

Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

On Friday 08 August 2008 04:56:53 Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi Kubuntu-users
>
> I am trying to make a switch from HH KDEv3.5 to HH KDEv4.1.
> I managed to convert my thunderbird mail and address book to kontact with
> only very minor problems. A first question is the following: is the
> information in the address book used throughout all KDE programs, eg
> Kopete?
>
> Another problem I have not solved is how to access a Google Calendar I use
> into kontact. How does one synchronize the korganizer calendar with the
> Google calendar?
>
> Tx/Alain
I recently set this up with GCaldaemon. Google it as I dont remember exactly
how I did it. It does work pretty well for me, but I am still having trouble
with kontact 4.1 getting the resource colors correct and making them stick. I
use it with 7 different google cal's and it syncs well.

Mike
--
Michael W. Holdeman
Chief

Powered by Kubunty Hardy 8.04, KDE-4.1 beta
http://kubuntu.org

Old 08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Alain Muls

On Friday 08 August 2008 17:54:12 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2008 04:56:53 Alain Muls wrote:
> > Hi Kubuntu-users
> >
> > I am trying to make a switch from HH KDEv3.5 to HH KDEv4.1.
> > I managed to convert my thunderbird mail and address book to kontact with
> > only very minor problems. A first question is the following: is the
> > information in the address book used throughout all KDE programs, eg
> > Kopete?
> >
> > Another problem I have not solved is how to access a Google Calendar I
> > use into kontact. How does one synchronize the korganizer calendar with
> > the Google calendar?
> >
> > Tx/Alain
>
> I recently set this up with GCaldaemon. Google it as I dont remember
> exactly how I did it. It does work pretty well for me, but I am still
> having trouble with kontact 4.1 getting the resource colors correct and
> making them stick. I use it with 7 different google cal's and it syncs
> well.

Hi Mike,

That is cool, how do you specify more than 1 google calendar since I would
like to do it with 3 (1 for 2-way sync, the others just read-only)

Tx/ALain

Old 08-08-2008, 04:44 PM
"Jose Gomez-Dans"

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:

That is cool, how do you specify more than 1 google calendar since I would

like to do it with 3 (1 for 2-way sync, the others just read-only)
There's also kitchensync that allows synchronisation. I can't get it to work, but* maybe you can and can guide me

Centre for Terrestrial Carbon Dynamics
Department of Geography, University College London
Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK

Old 08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

On Friday 08 August 2008 12:30:02 Alain Muls wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2008 17:54:12 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> wrote:
> > On Friday 08 August 2008 04:56:53 Alain Muls wrote:
> > > Hi Kubuntu-users
> > >
> > > I am trying to make a switch from HH KDEv3.5 to HH KDEv4.1.
> > > I managed to convert my thunderbird mail and address book to kontact
> > > with only very minor problems. A first question is the following: is
> > > the information in the address book used throughout all KDE programs,
> > > eg Kopete?
> > >
> > > Another problem I have not solved is how to access a Google Calendar I
> > > use into kontact. How does one synchronize the korganizer calendar with
> > > the Google calendar?
> > >
> > > Tx/Alain
> >
> > I recently set this up with GCaldaemon. Google it as I dont remember
> > exactly how I did it. It does work pretty well for me, but I am still
> > having trouble with kontact 4.1 getting the resource colors correct and
> > making them stick. I use it with 7 different google cal's and it syncs
> > well.
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> That is cool, how do you specify more than 1 google calendar since I would
> like to do it with 3 (1 for 2-way sync, the others just read-only)
I was unable to get kitchensync to work.

GCaldaemon have to set up each cal separetly. Hang on I'll look for the guide
I used....... Ah here you go.. http://www.linux.com/feature/122054, and also
here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=184382&package_id=215529&ab mode=1

Hope this helps.

I use kontact for my email, including gmail, the calendar as I said now is
goofing up with not sticking the settings, and not showing the proper colors
for resources,.. havent looked into that yet, but I also noticed that
switching from weekly to monthly cal's takes FOREVER??

I dont use akregator anymore as I think google reader works better to my
taste.

I have always used koragnizer for a long time now but am considering just
using google calendar as I like the way it prints better for me and my
purposes. I will try it when google gears is set to work properly with google
calendar, for now I can us them both with gcaldaemon keeping my cals up to
date with korganizer.

Mike

--
Michael W. Holdeman