FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Giorgos Kostopoulos
 
Default GRUB question.

Hi! :-)


I just installed kubuntu and I have a question.
GRUB set entries for launching kubuntu and windows.
I added myself an entry, for booting from the floppy (fd0).

Is there any possibility for adding a similar entry for booting from CD
(without rebooting)?


Thanks in advance!
Really nice to find you! :-)
Giorgos.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default GRUB question.

Giorgos Kostopoulos wrote:

> I just installed kubuntu and I have a question.
> GRUB set entries for launching kubuntu and windows.
> I added myself an entry, for booting from the floppy (fd0).
>
> Is there any possibility for adding a similar entry for booting from CD
> (without rebooting)?

You set it to boot from CD in the BIOS (any bios should give you a series of
options for boot devices - as long as your system is capable of booting
from CD, it will be there). There _is_ no way to boot without rebooting...

The CD boot option doesn't need to be in Grub, because a CD is either
bootable or not, and if you have a bootable one in the drive you can always
eject it if you don't want to boot from it.

The same with the floppy - if your floppies (who has floppies??) can boot,
they will if they're set up in the BIOS, so why put an entry in grub
(though you can)?
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 AM
Constantinos Maltezos
 
Default GRUB question.

On Thursday 07 August 2008 9:20:08 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Giorgos Kostopoulos wrote:
> > I just installed kubuntu and I have a question.
> > GRUB set entries for launching kubuntu and windows.
> > I added myself an entry, for booting from the floppy (fd0).
> >
> > Is there any possibility for adding a similar entry for booting from CD
> > (without rebooting)?
>
> You set it to boot from CD in the BIOS (any bios should give you a series
> of options for boot devices - as long as your system is capable of booting
> from CD, it will be there). There _is_ no way to boot without rebooting...

I'm not sure what you're saying here. My GRUB has an entry for my DVD drive
and has no problems booting from it.

> The CD boot option doesn't need to be in Grub, because a CD is either
> bootable or not, and if you have a bootable one in the drive you can always
> eject it if you don't want to boot from it.

If your computer is off, it can be a headache to turn it on and sit there
hitting the eject button until it responds, then get the CD in there and close
it in time to boot off of it - especially if you have a fast machine. With an
option in GRUB, you can calmly wait for the CD/DVD drive to respond, place the
CD in at your leisure and let it boot without needing to reboot.

For some reason, I can't see it in my menu.lst, or I'd post the entry for the
OP. It might be on my other machine, which isn't working at the moment.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default GRUB question.

2008/8/8 Giorgos Kostopoulos <giorgos67@gmail.com>:
> Hi! :-)
>
>
> I just installed kubuntu and I have a question.
> GRUB set entries for launching kubuntu and windows.
> I added myself an entry, for booting from the floppy (fd0).
>
> Is there any possibility for adding a similar entry for booting from CD
> (without rebooting)?
>
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Really nice to find you! :-)
> Giorgos.
>

Interesting idea and i see how it can be useful sometimes if you for
example has disable the CD boot option i BIOS.
I Googled and found it's possible to do with some help of syslinux. I
have not tested it yet but check this links for more info and how to
do it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168693
http://gentoo-wiki.com/GRUB/Chainloaded_CD-ROM
http://cutecomputer.wordpress.com/2006/10/10/boot-cdrom-through-grub/
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~bernhard/grub-chain-cd.html

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default GRUB question.

Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
>
> If your computer is off, it can be a headache to turn it on and sit there
> hitting the eject button until it responds, then get the CD in there and close
> it in time to boot off of it - especially if you have a fast machine. With an
> option in GRUB, you can calmly wait for the CD/DVD drive to respond, place the
> CD in at your leisure and let it boot without needing to reboot.
>
Isn't that what the pause button is for? Switch on the computer, at the
first beep hit the pause button. Now the computer will wait for you and
the CD/DVD drive will respond. Open the drawer, put in the CD from which
you wish to boot and then press the enter key. The computer will now
continue and will boot from the CD.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Neil Winchurst

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default GRUB question.

2008/8/8 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> 2008/8/8 Giorgos Kostopoulos <giorgos67@gmail.com>:
>> Hi! :-)
>>
>>
>> I just installed kubuntu and I have a question.
>> GRUB set entries for launching kubuntu and windows.
>> I added myself an entry, for booting from the floppy (fd0).
>>
>> Is there any possibility for adding a similar entry for booting from CD
>> (without rebooting)?
>>
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Really nice to find you! :-)
>> Giorgos.
>>
>
> Interesting idea and i see how it can be useful sometimes if you for
> example has disable the CD boot option i BIOS.
> I Googled and found it's possible to do with some help of syslinux. I
> have not tested it yet but check this links for more info and how to
> do it.
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168693
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/GRUB/Chainloaded_CD-ROM
> http://cutecomputer.wordpress.com/2006/10/10/boot-cdrom-through-grub/
> http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~bernhard/grub-chain-cd.html
>
> / Jonas
>

Did a quick test and this is how i installed it:
sudo apt-get install syslinux sbm
sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk /boot/
sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst

And adding this entry. Remember to change (hd0,4) to your root.
title Smart Boot Manager
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/memdisk
initrd /boot/sbm.img
boot

Grub is starting fine and choosing SBM give me a new menu with several
devices to boot from but i don't see my DVD. I think i could be that
SBM cant boot from a SATA DVD.

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Knapp
 
Default GRUB question.

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/8 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
>> 2008/8/8 Giorgos Kostopoulos <giorgos67@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi! :-)
>>>
>>>
>>> I just installed kubuntu and I have a question.
>>> GRUB set entries for launching kubuntu and windows.
>>> I added myself an entry, for booting from the floppy (fd0).
>>>
>>> Is there any possibility for adding a similar entry for booting from CD
>>> (without rebooting)?
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>> Really nice to find you! :-)
>>> Giorgos.
>>>
>>
>> Interesting idea and i see how it can be useful sometimes if you for
>> example has disable the CD boot option i BIOS.
>> I Googled and found it's possible to do with some help of syslinux. I
>> have not tested it yet but check this links for more info and how to
>> do it.
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168693
>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/GRUB/Chainloaded_CD-ROM
>> http://cutecomputer.wordpress.com/2006/10/10/boot-cdrom-through-grub/
>> http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~bernhard/grub-chain-cd.html
>>
>> / Jonas
>>
>
> Did a quick test and this is how i installed it:
> sudo apt-get install syslinux sbm
> sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk /boot/
> sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> And adding this entry. Remember to change (hd0,4) to your root.
> title Smart Boot Manager
> root (hd0,4)
> kernel /boot/memdisk
> initrd /boot/sbm.img
> boot
>
> Grub is starting fine and choosing SBM give me a new menu with several
> devices to boot from but i don't see my DVD. I think i could be that
> SBM cant boot from a SATA DVD.
>
> / Jonas
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>


If you want to master Grub look into the gentoo help sites and wiki
for that subject.

--
Douglas E Knapp

http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Giorgos Kostopoulos
 
Default GRUB question.

Hi guys! :-)
MANY THANKS for your help!!!


* 1) My BIOS boot order is:
a) floppy (yes, I'm still using it)! :-)
b) CD (DVD actually). A classic IDE one.
c) HD 0.


* 2) If I'm at GRUB menu, I'm always able to hit ctrl-alt-del and reboot
from floppy, but putting an fd0 entry in GRUB menu, giving me the
possibility to boot from the floppy (after putting a bootable floppy in
tray (eg. supergrub disk, or freedos), with selecting the floppy menu
entry, without rebooting.
Unfortunately, adding an cdr0, cdrom or dvd entry, is giving me the:

"error23: error while parsing number.
press any key to continue..."

No matter if a bootable CD (or DVD) is in tray (eg. the freedos live CD
or the GParted one).


* 3) Yes, I think it was SBM (that I was using ages ago), that was
capable of doing this trick.
Installing it side by side with GRUB and launching it from GRUB menu is
a really interesting idea! :-)

* 4) gentoo-wiki.com has really interesting stuff about GRUB!!!
I didn't knew about that (and I'm completely new, to a proper Linux
(hard disk) installation)!
Seems like more reading and practicing needed from my party! :-)
------------


OK! Obviously this is not an important problem (since I can always hit
ctrl-alt-del and reboot from CD, instead of having a related GRUB (or
SBM) entry for this task).
I'm just curious, how this can be done! :-)
I think, I'll further investigate it a bit more, and I'll be back.


Once again,
THANKS for your help!!!
Giorgos. :-)

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Knapp
 
Default GRUB question.

* 4) gentoo-wiki.com has really interesting stuff about GRUB!!!
I didn't knew about that (and I'm completely new, to a proper Linux
(hard disk) installation)!
Seems like more reading and practicing needed from my party! :-)

Glad to hear you got that. I have told a lot of people that Gentoo
has great Linux info even if you don't run that, pain in the butt but
fun distro, but few seem to listen.



--
Douglas E Knapp

http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default GRUB question.

Knapp wrote:
> * 4) gentoo-wiki.com has really interesting stuff about GRUB!!!
> I didn't knew about that (and I'm completely new, to a proper Linux
> (hard disk) installation)!
> Seems like more reading and practicing needed from my party! :-)
>
> Glad to hear you got that. I have told a lot of people that Gentoo
> has great Linux info even if you don't run that, pain in the butt but
> fun distro, but few seem to listen.
>
>
>
no distro is complete without proper documentation and extensive help
files. man files are great, but are a bit old fashioned, and don't serve
the user's needs in a graphical environment. one of the few things i
miss in windows is the help and support center. it contained
_everything_! and more importantly is that it is local on the HD, and
more than can bring stuff from online documentation when connected.
Believe it or not, i learned what partitions and filesystems and a lot
more computer stuff from that help and support center.
i see that gentoo did an excellent job in their wiki, though i never
used gentoo before. it's weird how you can find tons of people willing
to do the hardest stuff of coding and programming, and very few willing
to help write a proper documentation which anyone with computer literacy
can do!

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org