FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default slightly OT: Internet weirdities

I was "apt-get"ing a few programs, and was with a lot of pain watching
the speed counting in bytes per second, something around 200
bytes/second! i thought it might be a bad night for downloading, ISP
overloaded or something, i tried pinging google, but the ping went very
well, with fast responses, so i thought i might try pinging
archive.ubuntu.com, maybe the servers are overloaded, and to my
astonishment as soon as the pinging started the download went straight
to 12 KiB/sec which is quite well for my 128 kbps, but got me wondering
why such stuff happens? is it ISP related or something to do my PC?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:54 AM
"Jeff"
 
Default slightly OT: Internet weirdities

On 8 Aug 2008 at 1:38, Willy K. Hamra wrote about:
slightly OT: Internet weirdities

> I was "apt-get"ing a few programs, and was with a lot of pain watching
> the speed counting in bytes per second, something around 200
> bytes/second! i thought it might be a bad night for downloading, ISP
> overloaded or something, i tried pinging google, but the ping went very
> well, with fast responses, so i thought i might try pinging
> archive.ubuntu.com, maybe the servers are overloaded, and to my
> astonishment as soon as the pinging started the download went straight
> to 12 KiB/sec which is quite well for my 128 kbps, but got me wondering
> why such stuff happens? is it ISP related or something to do my PC?

You are posting from a Tiscali UK address. Does one need to say more?
They are infamous for loading their networks up beyond capacity. Is
it any wonder that they cannot get anyone to buy them?

Jeff

> --
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
>



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default slightly OT: Internet weirdities

2008/8/8 Jeff <kubuntu.user@bulkmail.letterboxes.org>:
> On 8 Aug 2008 at 1:38, Willy K. Hamra wrote about:
> slightly OT: Internet weirdities
>
>> I was "apt-get"ing a few programs, and was with a lot of pain watching
>> the speed counting in bytes per second, something around 200
>> bytes/second! i thought it might be a bad night for downloading, ISP
>> overloaded or something, i tried pinging google, but the ping went very
>> well, with fast responses, so i thought i might try pinging
>> archive.ubuntu.com, maybe the servers are overloaded, and to my
>> astonishment as soon as the pinging started the download went straight
>> to 12 KiB/sec which is quite well for my 128 kbps, but got me wondering
>> why such stuff happens? is it ISP related or something to do my PC?
>
> You are posting from a Tiscali UK address. Does one need to say more?
> They are infamous for loading their networks up beyond capacity. Is
> it any wonder that they cannot get anyone to buy them?
>

Willy posted from a gmail address, so your trace of the IP addresses
in his header would only lead you back to google's servers.
Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
ISP's address at the end.

As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
had to complain.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default slightly OT: Internet weirdities

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/8 Jeff <kubuntu.user@bulkmail.letterboxes.org>:
>> On 8 Aug 2008 at 1:38, Willy K. Hamra wrote about:
>> slightly OT: Internet weirdities
>>
>>> I was "apt-get"ing a few programs, and was with a lot of pain watching
>>> the speed counting in bytes per second, something around 200
>>> bytes/second! i thought it might be a bad night for downloading, ISP
>>> overloaded or something, i tried pinging google, but the ping went very
>>> well, with fast responses, so i thought i might try pinging
>>> archive.ubuntu.com, maybe the servers are overloaded, and to my
>>> astonishment as soon as the pinging started the download went straight
>>> to 12 KiB/sec which is quite well for my 128 kbps, but got me wondering
>>> why such stuff happens? is it ISP related or something to do my PC?
>> You are posting from a Tiscali UK address. Does one need to say more?
>> They are infamous for loading their networks up beyond capacity. Is
>> it any wonder that they cannot get anyone to buy them?
>>
>
> Willy posted from a gmail address, so your trace of the IP addresses
> in his header would only lead you back to google's servers.
> Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
> mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
> ISP's address at the end.
>
> As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
> mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
> that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
> had to complain.
>
yes, i am using a gmail address, and way too far from the UK.
the *buntu mirrors have been going weird for a while, slow at times,
won't resolve to IP at others, not to mention that every couple of
hours, firestarter reports a blocked connection from an IP address that
turns out to be lithium.canonical.com, no idea why though.
whatever the problem is, i'm sure my ISP isn't that innocent at all, but
some of the problems are *buntu's!

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
"Jeff"
 
Default slightly OT: Internet weirdities

On 8 Aug 2008 at 15:06, Dotan Cohen wrote about:
Re: slightly OT: Internet weirditie

> 2008/8/8 Jeff <kubuntu.user@bulkmail.letterboxes.org>:
> > On 8 Aug 2008 at 1:38, Willy K. Hamra wrote about:
> > slightly OT: Internet weirdities
> >
> >> I was "apt-get"ing a few programs, and was with a lot of pain watching
> >> the speed counting in bytes per second, something around 200
> >> bytes/second! i thought it might be a bad night for downloading, ISP
> >> overloaded or something, i tried pinging google, but the ping went very
> >> well, with fast responses, so i thought i might try pinging
> >> archive.ubuntu.com, maybe the servers are overloaded, and to my
> >> astonishment as soon as the pinging started the download went straight
> >> to 12 KiB/sec which is quite well for my 128 kbps, but got me wondering
> >> why such stuff happens? is it ISP related or something to do my PC?
> >
> > You are posting from a Tiscali UK address. Does one need to say more?
> > They are infamous for loading their networks up beyond capacity. Is
> > it any wonder that they cannot get anyone to buy them?
> >
>
> Willy posted from a gmail address, so your trace of the IP addresses
> in his header would only lead you back to google's servers.

Please check your assertions first.

The relevant section from the headers is:
Received: from ?192.168.0.53? ( [213.254.233.9])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id j2sm1257912mue.8.2008.08.07.15.38.42
(version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5); Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:38:45 -0700
(PDT)

Obviously 192.168.0.53 is the internal address of the PC composing
the message. 212.254.233.9 is the external address from which the
message was sent to mx.google.com using

User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (X11/20080724)

The headers would have been different if the message had been posted
using Gigglemail's web interface in the way that you did. In that
event you correctly describe how they only list the IP Address of the
https server presenting the web page to the user.

> Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
> mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
> ISP's address at the end.

I know my IP address, its reverse DNS, and the IP address of my
mailserver, and they are not the ones that I traced! I do not see my
own ISPs address anywhere on that email.

> As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
> mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
> that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
> had to complain.

If he is using Tiscali, or a reseller thereof, then one only has to
look at http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=tiscali to get a whole lot
of (bad) news about the company.

Jeff

> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> --------------------------
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 02:26 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default slightly OT: Internet weirdities

Jeff wrote:
>
> Please check your assertions first.
>
> The relevant section from the headers is:
> Received: from ?192.168.0.53? ( [213.254.233.9])
> by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id j2sm1257912mue.8.2008.08.07.15.38.42
> (version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5); Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:38:45 -0700
> (PDT)
>
> Obviously 192.168.0.53 is the internal address of the PC composing
> the message. 212.254.233.9 is the external address from which the
> message was sent to mx.google.com using
>
> User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (X11/20080724)
>
> The headers would have been different if the message had been posted
> using Gigglemail's web interface in the way that you did. In that
> event you correctly describe how they only list the IP Address of the
> https server presenting the web page to the user.
>

true, i'm using TB using gmail's smtp. 192.168.0.53 is my IP on the
local network, the other IP 212.254.233.9 changes everytime i dial a
connection and isn't even my IP, i'm behind a NAT, my ISP gives me a
different 172.16.143.* , the other IP is reported as my external IP by
many websites and more weirdly, whatever the external IP is, it's always
reported as german, and all websites keep showing me german ads, even
though i'm waaaaay too far from germany (or UK). some smart websites can
detect my ISP's proxy (using a horribly configured squid 2.7) and put
local ads.

>> Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
>> mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
>> ISP's address at the end.
>
> I know my IP address, its reverse DNS, and the IP address of my
> mailserver, and they are not the ones that I traced! I do not see my
> own ISPs address anywhere on that email.
>
>> As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
>> mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
>> that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
>> had to complain.
>
> If he is using Tiscali, or a reseller thereof, then one only has to
> look at http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=tiscali to get a whole lot
> of (bad) news about the company.

trust me, whatever this tiscali isp is, mine is much worse :P

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-09-2008, 09:33 AM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default slightly OT: Internet weirdities

2008/8/8 Jeff <kubuntu.user@bulkmail.letterboxes.org>:
>> Willy posted from a gmail address, so your trace of the IP addresses
>> in his header would only lead you back to google's servers.
>
> Please check your assertions first.
>
> The relevant section from the headers is:
> Received: from ?192.168.0.53? ( [213.254.233.9])
> by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id j2sm1257912mue.8.2008.08.07.15.38.42
> (version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5); Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:38:45 -0700
> (PDT)
>
> Obviously 192.168.0.53 is the internal address of the PC composing
> the message. 212.254.233.9 is the external address from which the
> message was sent to mx.google.com using
>
> User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (X11/20080724)
>
> The headers would have been different if the message had been posted
> using Gigglemail's web interface in the way that you did. In that
> event you correctly describe how they only list the IP Address of the
> https server presenting the web page to the user.

As I am also in Gmail, I _thought_ that I could not see the original
message headers. I have now seen that I _can_ check the headers in
Gmail, so I apologize for assuming your inaccuracy. I also happen to
know that Willy is not in the UK (or until recently was not) so that
is why I assumed that you had read backwards.

>> Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
>> mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
>> ISP's address at the end.
>
> I know my IP address, its reverse DNS, and the IP address of my
> mailserver, and they are not the ones that I traced! I do not see my
> own ISPs address anywhere on that email.

I see. I am sorry for making the assumption.

>> As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
>> mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
>> that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
>> had to complain.
>
> If he is using Tiscali, or a reseller thereof, then one only has to
> look at http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=tiscali to get a whole lot
> of (bad) news about the company.

As for most ISP, I am afraid...
I actually paid a bit more for internet access than most people as my
area was serviced by a terrific ISP: Actcom. However, a terrible ISP
has since bought them and service is declining rapidly. While Actcom
was very Linux-friendly, the new ISP (Bezeq Beinleumi) is afraid of
the L-word.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org