Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Kevin Jones

Default KDE 3.5x

Dear all,
I wish to download and install Ubuntu 8.04 and KDE.
I have a very fast connection at work, but a very slow connection at
home. Can anyone tell me which would be the best mirror/download site to
use. The more information I could put on, say, one or two cd's or dvd's
the better.

Thankyou very much in advance.

kevin jones

Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Knapp

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Kevin Jones <kjb.jones@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I wish to download and install Ubuntu 8.04 and KDE.
> I have a very fast connection at work, but a very slow connection at
> home. Can anyone tell me which would be the best mirror/download site to
> use. The more information I could put on, say, one or two cd's or dvd's
> the better.
>
> Thankyou very much in advance.
>
> kevin jones

Install at work, add every bell and whistle you can think of, download
it all. Then when you are at home try stuff out and remove it, if you
need the room on the HD. After install you don't need speed except for
updates and who cares if they take all night? Just sleep and wake to
an updated comp or do that at work too.

As for the best mirror? Who can tell, I don't know where you live.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Kevin Jones

Knapp wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Kevin Jones <kjb.jones@embarqmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I wish to download and install Ubuntu 8.04 and KDE.
>> I have a very fast connection at work, but a very slow connection at
>> home. Can anyone tell me which would be the best mirror/download site to
>> use. The more information I could put on, say, one or two cd's or dvd's
>> the better.
>>
>> Thankyou very much in advance.
>>
>> kevin jones
>
> Install at work, add every bell and whistle you can think of, download
> it all. Then when you are at home try stuff out and remove it, if you
> need the room on the HD. After install you don't need speed except for
> updates and who cares if they take all night? Just sleep and wake to
> an updated comp or do that at work too.
>
> As for the best mirror? Who can tell, I don't know where you live.

Thanks!!!
I think I meant to say... are there download versions of more than
700Mb's. I have seen downloads for some Ubuntu as large as 4 gigs. It is
just that wherever I look I can find only the very basic download. I was
hoping for a clue to where or how I can have as many of the packages as
I can downloaded from one site. I am in North America

Kevin Jones

Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 AM
John Heinen

Knapp wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Kevin Jones <kjb.jones@embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I wish to download and install Ubuntu 8.04 and KDE.
>> I have a very fast connection at work, but a very slow connection at
>> home. Can anyone tell me which would be the best mirror/download site to
>> use. The more information I could put on, say, one or two cd's or dvd's
>> the better.
>>
>> Thankyou very much in advance.
>>
>> kevin jones
>>

> Install at work, add every bell and whistle you can think of, download
> it all. Then when you are at home try stuff out and remove it, if you
> need the room on the HD. After install you don't need speed except for
> updates and who cares if they take all night? Just sleep and wake to
> an updated comp or do that at work too.
>
> As for the best mirror? Who can tell, I don't know where you live.

What does that mean downloading from a mirror? J.H.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Glenn R Williams

On Thursday 07 August 2008 21:04:14 John Heinen wrote:

> What does that mean downloading from a mirror? J.H.

A mirror is an exact duplicate of another site, usually in order to facilitate
large downloads. The "mirrors" are synchronized with the Ubuntu site at
certain predetermined intervals. So you can download from addresses other than
Ubuntu.org. If you use a less busy mirror, your downloads go a lot faster.

Glenn
--
Glenn R Williams