Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Gordon Schulz

Default KDE 4.1 - just an opinion

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:21, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will keep it "in the box" and upgrade when new releases arrive so I
> can decide when I think it is ready to be my production environment.
> and to all kde-developers - keep up the good work, am sure KDE4 WILL
> become brilliant
As Aaron worded it on his Blog lately:
"To put it all into perspective: KDE3 had 6 years of development on it
after 3.0, KDE4 has so far had 6 months. Think about it. =)"

Lot of truth in there.
--
Gordon.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Gordon Schulz wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:21, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I will keep it "in the box" and upgrade when new releases arrive so I
>> can decide when I think it is ready to be my production environment.
>> and to all kde-developers - keep up the good work, am sure KDE4 WILL
>> become brilliant
> As Aaron worded it on his Blog lately:
> "To put it all into perspective: KDE3 had 6 years of development on it
> after 3.0, KDE4 has so far had 6 months. Think about it. =)"
>
> Lot of truth in there.
Yes. Not to be blasphemous but I get a sort of "XP contra
Vista" - feeling....but not true KDE4 had 6 months DEVELOPMENT but USAGE
rather, no?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:15, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> > As Aaron worded it on his Blog lately:
> > "To put it all into perspective: KDE3 had 6 years of development on it
> > after 3.0, KDE4 has so far had 6 months. Think about it. =)"
> >
> > Lot of truth in there.
> Yes. Not to be blasphemous but I get a sort of "XP contra
> Vista" - feeling....but not true KDE4 had 6 months DEVELOPMENT but USAGE
> rather, no?
Sure, usage. But the 6 years of KDE3 was development after 3.0 while being in
use by 'normal' people, so it's the same really.
--
Gordon.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Derek Broughton

Gordon Schulz wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:21, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I will keep it "in the box" and upgrade when new releases arrive so I
>> can decide when I think it is ready to be my production environment.
>> and to all kde-developers - keep up the good work, am sure KDE4 WILL
>> become brilliant
> As Aaron worded it on his Blog lately:
> "To put it all into perspective: KDE3 had 6 years of development on it
> after 3.0, KDE4 has so far had 6 months. Think about it. =)"
>
> Lot of truth in there.

Well, I was a KDE3 early adopter (I remember going through the same process
with kde2 and kde3 side by side), and afaict it was much more usable at 3.0
than 4.0 was, and I'm not holding out much hope for 4.1.
--
derek

Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Derek Broughton

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Gordon Schulz wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:21, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I will keep it "in the box" and upgrade when new releases arrive so I
>>> can decide when I think it is ready to be my production environment.
>>> and to all kde-developers - keep up the good work, am sure KDE4 WILL
>>> become brilliant
>> As Aaron worded it on his Blog lately:
>> "To put it all into perspective: KDE3 had 6 years of development on it
>> after 3.0, KDE4 has so far had 6 months. Think about it. =)"
>>
>> Lot of truth in there.

> Yes. Not to be blasphemous but I get a sort of "XP contra
> Vista" - feeling....

So do I.

> but not true KDE4 had 6 months DEVELOPMENT but USAGE
> rather, no?

He's saying continuing development "post-release", right? So KDE4 has
been "in development" for years (the most frustrating thing for me is
hearing so many of the problems with kontact in 3.5.8+ had been fixed for
4.0+ but wouldn't make it into 3.5 - and yet kontact didn't even get
_released_ in 4.0).
--
derek

Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:34, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Well, I was a KDE3 early adopter (I remember going through the same process
> with kde2 and kde3 side by side), and afaict it was much more usable at 3.0
> than 4.0 was, and I'm not holding out much hope for 4.1.
I wasn't using KDE at the time, but I seem to remember that the
transition (library- and feature-wise) from 2.x to 3.0 was more
of a continuation of the 2.x series with API rewrites (I think DCOP, KIO
etc etc were all introduced during the 2.x cycle).
Considering that KDE 4.x has LOTS of new technologies and technical changes
iMHO it's a bit of comparing apples and oranges. But then again...
We'd bump into the discussion of 'was it wise to release 4.0... was it wise
to create all that new stuff' again, which I'd like to avoid.
(personal opinion as I'm using 4.1 right now: it definately was).
--
Gordon.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:15, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. Not to be blasphemous but I get a sort of "XP contra
> Vista" - feeling....but not true KDE4 had 6 months DEVELOPMENT but USAGE
> rather, no?
Guess I should have linked the post. ;p
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/08/41-is-out-and-i-too-am-going-to-akademy.html
--
Gordon.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Glenn R Williams

You raise some valid points. I am a big fan of KDE 4.1 and now that Kontact is
in the mix, I feel like it's improving very rapidly. Despite its problems, I
use it full time (my "Plan B" is that I also have Gnome installed in case of
emergency)

That said, I think it was a TERRIBLE strategy to call KDE 4.0 a "Release",
with all the expectations that raises. (Namely, that minimally things would
work, and that the major functionality of the prior release would be retained,
Kmail and Kontact being case in point).

In my view, no matter how many qualifications you put on it, KDE 4.0, and 4.1
were more like Beta releases for new products which the authors wanted to put
out to the community for testing. This would have been legitimate in itself,
but wouldn't a better strategy have been to call it something like "KDE
Stealth" or "KDE Future". Giving a release number always implies the
superseding and subsuming of an older "release", not the injection of tons of
new technology.

Glenn

--
Glenn R Williams

Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:10, Glenn R Williams <gloonie@earthlink.net> wrote:

> (my "Plan B" is that I also have Gnome installed in case of emergency)
That must be a *real* emergency then. Sorry, couldn't resist.
--
Gordon.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Glenn R Williams

True! Actually, more than once I've found it useful to switch to Gnome when
KDE has been particularly broken. I could have used KDE 3.5 as my "backup",
but I wanted reduce any possible overlap between the 2 KDE versions. Several
times that has prevented problems already...

Glenn

--
Glenn R Williams