Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 AM
"John Pierce"

Default Login Manager!

Where can I choose the login manager? I would prefer to use GDM
rather than KDM.

Where can I set the ability to login to a machine remotely, I would
like to do this across my local
network.

Thanks In Advance.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at

Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Donn

On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 06:41:22 John Pierce wrote:
> Where can I set the ability to login to a machine remotely, I would
> like to do this across my local
> network.
The easiest way (I have found) is to enable ssh on your 'server'. Install
sshd, set it up (not too hard, lots of advice on the web) and then use ssh
(from a konsole) from your other machine, something like this:
ssh user@hostname

If you want to run gui apps on your client machine (if it's Gnu/Linux *):
ssh -X user@hostname
Now you can start things like: konqueror &

* If it's not then you need to install a X server and so on, but this is not
that hard to do. Until I replaced win XP on my laptop I used putty and a free
X server to run gui apps from my Kubuntu box on my win desktop.

There are cool things like sshfs which let you mount another machine on a
local drive. You can also use fish://user@hostname/directory directly from
konqueror. Nautilus (Gnome file manager) handles it through sftp (secure ftp)
but it amounts to the same thing.

It's secure, fast and very convenient.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Alvin

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 06:41:22 John Pierce wrote:
> Where can I choose the login manager? I would prefer to use GDM
> rather than KDM.

You can install gdm. It will automatically be set as the default login
manager. You can also choose the default login manager with the following
command:
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm (or gdm, or kdm-kde4)

> Where can I set the ability to login to a machine remotely, I would
> like to do this across my local
> network.

XDMCP is insecure, but in most local networks, there's no need to worry.
Ubuntu (or Gnome) has a graphical tool to configure this with gdm.

If you're using kdm, execute the following instructions:

Edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc (or /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc)
comment the following line:
#ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
(important part is the removal of '-nolisten tcp')

Edit /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess (or /etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess)
Easiest method is uncommenting *

You're done now. Restart X.

On the client pc (actually the server), choose 'Remote Login' in the login
manager. You will probably see the XDMCP host. Just select it and log in.

Now, there is something that possibly will go wrong while disabling '-nolisten
tcp'. See https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/14497 for a solution.

Good luck

--
Alvin

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Donn

On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 09:32:15 Alvin wrote:
> XDMCP

Forgive my lazyness, but wtf *is* XDMCP?
It's one of the worst acronyms I have seen so far I have seen it here and
there on Ubuntu, but it's so self-indiscriptive that I never have looked into
it.

I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
-- Thomas Carlyle

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 2:56:23 am Donn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 09:32:15 Alvin wrote:
> > XDMCP
>
> Forgive my lazyness, but wtf *is* XDMCP?
> It's one of the worst acronyms I have seen so far I have seen it here
> and there on Ubuntu, but it's so self-indiscriptive that I never have
> looked into it.

X-ray doctor meets crazy patient. Duh.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Donn

On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 09:58:11 Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> X-ray doctor meets crazy patient. *Duh.
Xactly dammit, my complete problem!

He has Van Gogh's ear for music. -- Billy Wilder

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 3:19:02 am Donn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 09:58:11 Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> > X-ray doctor meets crazy patient. *Duh.
>
> Xactly dammit, my complete problem!

Xenon depletion mitigates craft propulsion?

Okay, I'm done.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Donn

On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 10:34:45 Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> Okay, I'm done.
Aw c'mon! It's the X ain't it?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 12:56:23 am Donn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 09:32:15 Alvin wrote:
> > XDMCP
>
> Forgive my lazyness, but wtf *is* XDMCP?

I'm not sure laziness is forgivable...

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 11:45:45 am Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2008 12:56:23 am Donn wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 06 August 2008 09:32:15 Alvin wrote:
> > > XDMCP
> >
> > Forgive my lazyness, but wtf *is* XDMCP?
>
> I'm not sure laziness is forgivable...

Nor is the language!

David M.