-   -   Fonts for FF, Konq and TB (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/138072-fonts-ff-konq-tb.html)

"D. R. Evans" 08-05-2008 07:51 PM

Fonts for FF, Konq and TB

This has been annoying me for ages, and I've decided that it's time to do
something about it.

Many non-Latin characters display in Firefox, Thunderbird and Konqueror as
a question-mark-in-a-diamond instead of the correct character.

The simple question is: how do I fix this?

The not-quite-so-simple question is: why does this behaviour happen on a
vanilla Kubuntu system, instead of the correct behaviour?

For example, my company's home page: www.ipfonix.com, contains some
trademark characters that display in this weird manner in FF (but not, in
this case, in Konq). Similarly, e-mails from yahoo.com addresses are
littered with these characters. Generally I find that two or three times a
day I will stumble into this problem. In a sense it's just an annoyance,
but it sure stops me from demonstrating Kubuntu to people who visit my house.

FWIW, the default fonts for all three programs are fully capable of
displaying the correct characters.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR